• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:51:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Chapter 2 Progress Log

Started by 3lric, August 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm

Angel

It's long been the official FFH stance that if we ever got a C&D from Square-Enix, we would laugh, frame it, stick it on the wall, and continue as normal. None of us make any money from any part of the site, we generate no ad revenue, and we will never host the game images themselves. There are some areas where we could better protect ourselves, and we've spent some amount of time in the background working toward that, though it's been minimal effort since we've never felt any pressure to start with.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

KingUrameshi

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

3lric

Guru

Aw I love tool, they had their moments  :P.

Alexander looks awesome, you did a really nice job Lijj. I can't wait to see the rest of the new summons!

I like the idea that knives will have scavenge on it, snakes gonna be extra busy now that he gonna be scavenging all my loot for me lol. That ARH2 is an awesome hack I remember checking that out a while back and thinking of the awesome possibilities.

Angel

I love Tool, but understand why people hate them.

:thisisfine:
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

VinceValeker

So will this patch be able to be playable on a modified PSP?

Xifanie

Only with a PSX eboot, not WotL. But yes, we are planning to make it work on consoles (which it doesn't right now).
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

3lric

So, in Jot5 chat today we were discussing quite a few things, and since I'm trying to become more involved with you all here (because i suck at posting outside the staff section) nyzer thought we could post some of the stuff that gets discussed in the Jot5 chat. There are a few funfacts and other interest info here, however, it has of course been censored in a few places, but I hope you all can get some kind of enjoyment out of it and ignore my horrible grammar and typing skills ;)

[11:56] <~Elric> also, you only said 200 marks cuz of FFTA2 >:|
[11:56] <~Elric> you bastard
[11:56] <Nyzer> I have no idea how many sidequests are in FFTA2 anymore >_>
[11:56] <~Elric> 200
[11:56] <Nyzer> I said 200 so we'd get 50 per chapter :P
[11:56] <@Xifanie> >>;
[11:56] <~Elric> diaf
[11:56] <Nyzer> leaving plenty of space to <censored>
[11:57] <Nyzer> it's totally a viable suggestion right?
[11:57] <~Elric> yay! lets fight ch1 boss at level 99!
[11:57] <Nyzer> <censored> vs <censored>, go
[11:57] <~Elric> I don't suppose anyone has a ballpark idea of the amount of actual story battles in Vanilla?
[11:58] <Nyzer> https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/13954
[11:58] <@slavebot> >>> Final Fantasy Tactics Battle List for PlayStation by Goryus - GameFAQs
[11:58] <Nyzer> sec
[11:58] <~Elric> I will laugh really hard if in the end, we have more marks than vanilla had story battles XD
[11:58] <Nyzer> 55
[11:58] <Nyzer> ....
[11:58] <~Elric> ....
[11:59] <~Elric> you're joking right?
[11:59] <Nyzer> 10 in ch 1, 11 in 2 and 3 each
[11:59] <Nyzer> 23 in 4
[11:59] <~Elric> 10 in ch1, 11 in ch2, 11 in ch3, 23 in ch4
[11:59] <~Elric> motherfucker
[12:00] <Nyzer> and that IS including multipart battles
[12:00] <~Elric> wow...
[12:00] <Nyzer> k) At the Gate of Limberry Castle            l) Inside of Limberry Castle            m) Underground Cemetery of Limberry Castle
[12:00] <~Elric> sec, i need to check something :P
[12:01] <~Elric> so Jot5 Ch1, 16 battles
[12:01] <~Elric> including the 2 different sephiroth battles, but not including the beast ganon transform
[12:01] <Nyzer> wrecked everything except ch 4 in vanilla already
[12:02] <~Elric> Jot5 Ch2, 22 battles
[12:02] <Nyzer> fft 2 & 3 combined
[12:02] <~Elric> so thats 70% of vanilla right there
[12:04] <~Elric> fucking 55 though? really? that game i played all my life? it seemed so much longer :/
[12:05] <Nyzer> Haha. Well, the very first time I played through your Ch. 1 I knew it was definitely longer than Vanilla's chapters, at least the first couple
[12:05] <~Elric> so then lets add the Ch1 marks to that number (not including the gathering ones)
[12:05] <~Elric> now we are at 45
[12:06] <~Elric> now lets go ahead and add the (so far) 15 or so marks from Ch2
[12:06] <~Elric> now we are at 60
[12:06] <~Elric> welp, so long vanilla
[12:06] <~Elric> THIS is why we need seperate attack.out and test.evt and such XD
[12:06] <Nyzer> congratulations Elric, half your game is bigger than vanilla
[12:06] <~Elric> this seriously just blew my fucking mind
[12:08] <~Elric> welp, thats why Jot5 is taking so long Xif, it's nothing to worry about, it's only that we've already made more than square ever did for vanilla, length and gameplay wise, in only half the game

Quote12:41   Nyzer   Um, I went to Cloud's skills for a comparison but the descriptions say Blade Beam is slower than Cross-Slash which is slower than Braver, yet the Patcher says it's in between the two
12:42   Elric   i would go with whats in the patcher
12:42   Elric   that was updated waaaaaay more often than tactext after the initial launch
12:42   Elric   which is why we (nyzer and I most likely, unless Jumza gets off his ass :P) will be spending a LOT of time testing every skill in every skillset
12:42   Nyzer   well, fuck. I'm gonna have to go over that and figure out proper SP
12:42   Elric   as well as RSM to make sure they all function exactly as they should
12:43   Elric   with all the ASMs in, of course
12:43   Nyzer   at least I know what comes after learn priority!
12:43   Elric   haha

Quote12:46   Elric   Red Magic can be a really fun skillset to fight against if it's randomized
12:46   Nyzer   geo/bard/dancer all have perfectly equal active skills for jp costs
12:47   Elric   yeah, you were right on that part
12:47   Xifanie   but the issue is, they're also one of the very few that can revive, making it too random will make us rarely see a redguard with that ability
12:47   Elric   also true
12:47   Nyzer   redguard can't revive, they have reraise
12:47   Xifanie   ;o
12:47   Nyzer   unless the text wasn't updated
12:47   Elric   i just think that redguard shouldnt have more than 2 priority levels or so
12:47   Nyzer   which I now realize is possible
12:48   Xifanie   I thought priests had 100% revive and redguard 50% revive
12:48   Xifanie   but I haven't looked at the skills in a while
12:48   Elric   okay, yeah, redguard was the one i had everything set to priority 1 at level 1
12:48   Elric   Redguard has Life
12:48   Nyzer   Use White Magic to imbue with Reraise. | Range: 4 | Effect: 2 • Vertical 0 | MP: 12 | SP: 25 | Element: Holy | Add: Reraise
12:48   Elric   AFAIK Life is just a lesser version of Full-Life
12:48   Elric   ... that doesn't seem right even still
12:49   Elric   what is the description for full-life?
12:49   Nyzer   That's what I thought, but it was already there so I didn't question it
12:49   Nyzer   Holy magic calls souls back from the dead. | Range: 4 | Effect: 1 | MP: 20 | SP: 25 | Element: Holy | Cancel: Dead | Heal: 100% HP
12:49   Elric   dont we HAVE a reraise skill?
12:49   Nyzer   um, not in white mage
12:49   Elric   this might just be an oversight
12:49   Elric   O_o
12:49   Elric   who has reraise?
12:49   Xifanie   guardian had a skill to reraise
12:49   Elric   i know its a thing dammit
12:49   Nyzer   knight
12:49   Elric   aha
12:50   Elric   i still think 50% revive is more fitting
12:50   Nyzer   That's what [redacted] does though, I believe
12:50   Elric   since these are all like, the lesser tier spells from all sorts of different classes
12:50   Elric   ah, crap
12:50   Elric   goddammit
12:50   Nyzer   Well
12:50      Elric shakes fist
12:50   Xifanie   I thought for sure I read somewhere the redguard raise was 50% HP o.o
12:50   Elric   Monk has revive still or no>
12:51   Elric   ?
12:51   Nyzer   yes
12:51   Xifanie   but I tend to not always be right about those thigns
12:51   Elric   i coulda sworn you were right Xif, which is why im confused
12:51   Nyzer   [redacted]:  [redacted] | Range: 4 | Effect: 1 | MP: 15 | SP: 34 | Element: Holy | Cancel: Dead | Heal: 50% HP
12:51   Elric   also because Life seems like it would be a lesser version of Full-Life
12:51   Elric   ya know, like something that would make sense
12:51   Nyzer   Revive   Call back a fallen ally from the dead. | Range: 1 • Vertical: 0 | Effect: 1 | MP: 16 | SP: Now | Cancel: Dead | Heal: 34% HP
12:51   Xifanie   which is what it is in every fucking FF
12:52   Elric   okay, so then, now we have an issue
12:52   Elric   suggestions/solutions?
12:52   Nyzer   Well
12:52   Nyzer   Can Redguard get a small AoE revive with vertical 0?
12:52   Nyzer   and 1-9 HP?
12:52   Xifanie   isn't that [redacted]?
12:52   Elric   we obviously dont want to give them the [redacted] spell from [a unique skillset]
12:52   Nyzer   fuck
12:52   Nyzer   yep
12:52   Elric   yup it is
12:53   Nyzer   it's [redacted]
12:53   Nyzer   the one I failed to read was a raise when I set up [second unique skillset] the first time
12:53   Nyzer   -_\\\,
12:53   Xifanie   does [redacted] NEED a revive spell?
12:53   Elric   so we have Full-Life, Wish, Revive, Raise and [redacted] to revive fallen allies
12:53   Elric   not really tbh
12:53   Nyzer   No, but it sort of leaves a blank spot in the set. It could be set to a lower % but eh
12:54   Elric   well, we could come up with some other kind of buff or something?
12:54   Elric   bring back accumulate for the win
12:54   Nyzer   ... We could make [redacted] the new accumulate
12:54   Xifanie   it's a special character; do it
12:54   Elric   haha
12:54   Elric   sounds good to me
12:54   Nyzer   completely changing what it is, mind you, but hell I did that for basically everything [third skillset] had
12:54   Nyzer   so I can't complain
12:55   Elric   well, we kinda have to
12:55   Elric   as long as it stays in the same ballpark
12:55   Elric  they did the same shit with most of Clouds moves coming i

I had something to say at the end of this, but I forgot what it was, so, uh, until I remember, here's a picture of a dog wearing a tie and glasses

Nyzer

And that's all just in one day, folks. Hell, one hour. Three separate issues discovered in the time span of a single hour.

That isn't including the confusion that came about from our Learn Priority topic earlier :P

Plan C

Still eagerly awaiting the re-release, but everything sounds great so far. Its pretty astounding that half of your game is already more content filled then vanilla FFT ever was lol.

P.S. Alexander looked pretty awesome

RJ Cid

Thank you for posting that stuff on the separate topics Elric. I do have a few questions, so forgive me if they've already been addressed (if so, maybe post a link? And not just Link ;)...).

I saw what you said something about 200 marks being available, but that was in FFTA2. Are you tapping into some unused space in the game to generate more "texted battles" through the new mark system, making the game much bigger than just the 55 story battles? People commented that half of your mod is bigger than all of Vanilla, so I'm being a curious pain-in-the-ass.

Was a Blue Mage class ever discussed? FFT already has enemy skills that can be learned by getting hit with and surviving them (I even learned Cyclops from Velius once). Seems reasonable, but I'm also not a programmer.

This is more of a suggestion, but would anyone eager to play this mod be concerned if after CH1 ended, the "Shop" only had Items to sell and all other weapons/armor/accessories had be stolen, poached, or found? On the one hand, I get that this mod isn't emphasizing on difficulty, but on the other hand, isn't everyone here a seasoned player? I am expressing my doubt that a noob would be complaining about a mod of PSX game that's almost 20 years old. I'm also thinking that it might free up some space for other things, but again, not a programmer--> :mrgreen:<--

On that note, I vote for keeping the items expensive/keeping the earnings down, because only being able to afford 10 potions and 7 phoenix downs makes you really reconsider your healing/reviving strategy, as well as your purchasing strategy in the Shop. "Survival strategy RPG"... a new video game genre...

When editing Marks/Lucavi sprites, can you add in Sapphire Weapon? I know putting in Emerald or Ruby seems like the obvious choices, but as a kid playing FFVII, I was disappointed that you got to fight all the Weapons except Sapphire, since he didn't seem to understand the concept of a "loaded gun". A planetary guardian... killed like a angry goose?... C'mon.... C'mon now...

Thanks for your response in advance. I would also like to put out there that although I have no programming skills, I do enjoy reading up on mythology, folklore, and classic literature. If you want some deeper meanings (easter eggs) behind some of your added content, I'd be happy to do further research, make suggestions and site my sources. Anything I can do to help. Thanks again

3lric

Quote from: RJ Cid on May 16, 2016, 10:28:53 am
Thank you for posting that stuff on the separate topics Elric. I do have a few questions, so forgive me if they've already been addressed (if so, maybe post a link? And not just Link ;)...).

I saw what you said something about 200 marks being available, but that was in FFTA2. Are you tapping into some unused space in the game to generate more "texted battles" through the new mark system, making the game much bigger than just the 55 story battles? People commented that half of your mod is bigger than all of Vanilla, so I'm being a curious pain-in-the-ass.

We aren't going to have 200 marks, the joke was that due to a certain reason, we needed a minimum of 55 marks which ended up being the same amount of story battles from vanilla lol. We removed the setup events from vanilla and will also have some new files (Test.evt, attack.out, etc) added to the game as that we can extend the workable space. You can probably expect to see ~75 or so marks in Jot5 upon completion, but i can't give an exact number just yet.

Was a Blue Mage class ever discussed? FFT already has enemy skills that can be learned by getting hit with and surviving them (I even learned Cyclops from Velius once). Seems reasonable, but I'm also not a programmer.

Lich, Cyclops and Zodiac are all learn on hit in vanilla. Jot5 already has a blue mage class, it's called Animist, which works in a similar fashion in that in most monster cases, their second ability can be learned for use as blue magic via the Animist.

This is more of a suggestion, but would anyone eager to play this mod be concerned if after CH1 ended, the "Shop" only had Items to sell and all other weapons/armor/accessories had be stolen, poached, or found? On the one hand, I get that this mod isn't emphasizing on difficulty, but on the other hand, isn't everyone here a seasoned player? I am expressing my doubt that a noob would be complaining about a mod of PSX game that's almost 20 years old. I'm also thinking that it might free up some space for other things, but again, not a programmer--> :mrgreen:<--

Everyone here is definitely not a seasoned player, nor is my intention to make a difficulty mod. Besides, where we put items in the game doesn't give us any extra space for more, item space is item space. And we've already worked out items for the entire game. :P Ultimate weapons can only be acquired via synth, which in most cases, require beating several marks to get the required synth materials to make said item.

On that note, I vote for keeping the items expensive/keeping the earnings down, because only being able to afford 10 potions and 7 phoenix downs makes you really reconsider your healing/reviving strategy, as well as your purchasing strategy in the Shop. "Survival strategy RPG"... a new video game genre...

Well, we've changed the Gil gain formula so you will get a bit more, but it's not going to really make things easier, since you have to pay if you want to do marks to farm and make your own items, or mine/gather wood, etc. Gotta spend gil to make gil, ya know?

When editing Marks/Lucavi sprites, can you add in Sapphire Weapon? I know putting in Emerald or Ruby seems like the obvious choices, but as a kid playing FFVII, I was disappointed that you got to fight all the Weapons except Sapphire, since he didn't seem to understand the concept of a "loaded gun". A planetary guardian... killed like a angry goose?... C'mon.... C'mon now...

It's not easy to fit a sprite like that onto a spritesheet, not to mention our spriters don't enjoy making MON type sheets since it is a tremendous amount of work. If anything like that every DID happen, it would be more likely that you'd see something like Ultima, Ruby, Emerald weapons, since if someone was going to spend 40 hours making a MON sprite, it would need to be one that everyone would recognize.

Thanks for your response in advance. I would also like to put out there that although I have no programming skills, I do enjoy reading up on mythology, folklore, and classic literature. If you want some deeper meanings (easter eggs) behind some of your added content, I'd be happy to do further research, make suggestions and site my sources. Anything I can do to help. Thanks again

I will likely take you up on that in the near future ;)

RJ Cid

Quote from: Elric on May 16, 2016, 10:49:25 am
I will likely take you up on that in the near future ;)

Happy to help. Just send me a jumping point and I'll hit you back with facts, suggestions, and my sources. That sucks about Sapphire Weapon but there's still hope for the Final Fantasy VII remake.

Also, Alexander looks awesome! One of my favorites! If you're adding/replacing summons though, I would like to suggest possibly adding in some of the Final Fantasy XII Espers, as FFXII took place eons before Tactics, or on that note, any of the Lucavi would be a nice tie in with vanilla. I would also suggest summon spells for the Weapons, while we're on the subject.

If there's a way to program two or three summon monsters you need to defeat in order to gain them, would be nice too, but these are all just suggestions. Thanks dude

3lric

May 16, 2016, 02:32:45 pm #253 Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:39:42 pm by Elric
Quote from: RJ Cid on May 16, 2016, 01:46:10 pm
Happy to help. Just send me a jumping point and I'll hit you back with facts, suggestions, and my sources. That sucks about Sapphire Weapon but there's still hope for the Final Fantasy VII remake.

Also, Alexander looks awesome! One of my favorites! If you're adding/replacing summons though, I would like to suggest possibly adding in some of the Final Fantasy XII Espers, as FFXII took place eons before Tactics, or on that note, any of the Lucavi would be a nice tie in with vanilla. I would also suggest summon spells for the Weapons, while we're on the subject.

If there's a way to program two or three summon monsters you need to defeat in order to gain them, would be nice too, but these are all just suggestions. Thanks dude

Well, we've actually already picked all the abilities for the entire game as well :P

There is one other Summon that was added to the game in addition to Alexander, (Alexander won't be acquired until later since it's not in the Summoner skillset) maybe I'll post a video of it as well soon, but I can tell you that we also got a new ASM hack for the other new summon (which DOES appear in the summoner skillset) This particular summon will allow you to do damage as well as revive fallen allies within the same effect area ;)

The other summons are still remaining the same, since it's not very easy to have new summons made. Lijj has made both of the new ones and we've also had to do some programming to the effect files themselves to make them work correctly in game. So it's actually a bit of a process. My main issues with replacing others is that we really want to keep them recognizable and use the ones everyone knows about (which is why Cyclops was replaced, because WTF) That said, Lijj has been brainstorming about other Summons to edit/add, however I'm not sure what sheet we could sacrifice to do so without having too many of the same sheet floating around. Maybe an edit of Cyclops for something better, Idk. Carbuncles sheet is unused, but the space for his image is tiny, so I'd have to rearrange pretty much the entire effect sheet to make room, which is harder than it sounds in some cases.

Aww fuck it, I'm in a good mood today and feel like drumming up some more comments, so here ya go,

Courtesy of Lijj, Xifanie, Choto and Myself, I present you with PHOENIX!
(Lijj did the Art, I did the initial modifications with help from Xifanie, and Choto did from bug control with his effect editor)
(Another Credit to Xifanie for making the ASM needed for Phoenix. The ASM will be available soon, but you'll have to wait on the re-release for th effect file)

EDIT: I lied, there are 3 new summons, including Alexander and Phoenix, but I'll leave the other one for players to find out in Ch3, as it's hilariously awesome :D

Mudvayne

Words cannot express my excitement for this mod. Ahhh I can't wait for ch2 to be released! Alexander and Phoenix look awesome!

RJ Cid

Phoenix is a definitely a good one, glad to see it! Yeah don't overwhelm yourselves anymore then you already do. I thought Cyclops would be cool if the sprite was edited to resemble Velius (Belias). Causing massive damage over a wide AoE seems like something that jerk would do. Also Terra from FFVI taking the role of Silf seemed cool. Just wishful thinking.

With the five characters you've selected, there's a wealth of content from all their respective franchises that could be in the game, but only so much space to work with. Whatever you guys got comin', I'm positive I'll love it.

If any job class is getting a new revive skill, can you attach it with BloodSuck/Undead? You can stop them from becoming crystals, but then you gotta hit them with Holy Water or you got a new problem. I'm thinking something like that would look good on those punk-ass Oracles. I just like the idea of raising my dead characters into a zombie/vampire hoard!

Nyzer

Well, the only "new" revive is on the Redguard, simply because none of us thought it made sense for Redguard to have a Reraise instead of a raise. Really, though, the revive was just shuffled over from a unique character, and that character now has Accumulate instead. It does sort of leave the caster tree without Reraise, but honestly we still have more generic spells that can grant it than Vanilla did anyway, plus improved resurrections all around in general.

And on that note - no, I don't think that status combo is even possible. The patcher can only be used to set either cancel or add status on a spell, not both. There's currently no setup to allow Cancel: Dead and Add: Vampire at the same time. Theoretically, you might be able to set Vampire to Cancel Dead innately, but last I checked, the Dead status has an interesting aspect to it - you can't target a Dead unit with anything but a Cancel: Dead spell.

And, of course, if you're worried about crystallization, equip a Focus Bracer. You can buy 'em really early on, and one of the status effects they prevent is Crystal. The counter still goes down, but remains at 0 indefinitely. Useful for the early game when the only raises you have are Wish and Phoenix Down (which you might not be carrying).

Coincidentally enough, there's actually a Banter in the rerelease that talks about using necromancy for a purpose like that - saving your allies from death.

RJ Cid

That is interesting about the actual "Dead" status, but I am curious. You can't cancel and add a status at the same time, but isn't that true for certain conflicting status'? Like how adding Slow cancels Haste?

FFT has many interesting skill sets, but I was reluctant to use any of them as secondary skills because I always needed at least four of my five characters to have a revive ability. Some think giving too many classes a revive skill is OP, and I don't disagree with that, so whenever I've pitched the idea on boards I try to think ways to revive characters that help make things more challenging, just to spice it up since more classes would be able to do it.

I'm learning with proper strategy that Reraise can be just as good. I really liked the Knight's "Invigorate" skill. While some might call a skill like that OP, the enemy Knights are much harder to keep down, which made fighting them much more interesting.

And nice touch with characters keeping all status' after getting killed. It was cool that they still have all positive and negative status' when I raise 'em back up.

I would like to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the creativity this team showed with the Chapter 1 release. There was a ton of new ideas applied in this mod that made me feel the same excitement I felt when I first opened new job classes or got a new special character in vanilla. Made me feel like I was back in middle school, waiting to get home so I could keep discovering things in FFT. Seriously great work!

Nyzer

QuoteYou can't cancel and add a status at the same time, but isn't that true for certain conflicting status'? Like how adding Slow cancels Haste?

QuoteTheoretically, you might be able to set Vampire to Cancel Dead innately, but last I checked, the Dead status has an interesting aspect to it - you can't target a Dead unit with anything but a Cancel: Dead spell.

---

QuoteSome think giving too many classes a revive skill is OP, and I don't disagree with that, so whenever I've pitched the idea on boards I try to think ways to revive characters that help make things more challenging, just to spice it up since more classes would be able to do it.

Well, Jot5's approach is not to punish the player for gravitating towards Revive spells, but to push the AI to do the same. Including Reraise, there are seven generic Jobs that can revive (not including Bard since it's a random buff out of several potential statuses).  If you include the Oracle's Undead for its reraise capability, that's eight. This even includes monsters. I'm sure everyone else has noticed in their Jot5 playthroughs - I sure know I did - that the undead rise on 0, and dragons have Dragon Spirit.

And personally, I'm way more fond of this approach. It means that fights like Sephiroth or Ganondorf can be brutal without completely screwing the player over. Take a look at Jot5's first battle compared to FFT's - thanks to the backup of Ramza and Bartholume's revival abilities, you can trigger a skeleton's Bonecrusher and be murdered by their counterattack, without Jot5 being a cheap as hell difficulty mod. In FFT... it's a battle of the Attack, Throw Stone, and Potion commands. Thrilling.
The introduction to combat is so terrible that it sets players up to be sandbagged by the Dorter battle. When Jot5 sandbags you, it's with bosses or minibosses - like Sephiroth or Tesnya. Which is just how it should be. When it comes to standard enemies, you're shown from the start just how dangerous they can be, because you aren't introduced to combat by fighting against opponents whose most threatening ability is Throw Potion. And the only reason that's so possible is because of the easy access to revival skills.

QuoteAnd nice touch with characters keeping all status' after getting killed. It was cool that they still have all positive and negative status' when I raise 'em back up.

Heh. It makes Poison a bit harder to fight against, but I certainly agree. It lessens the dominance of the Dead status, for better and worse, that way.

QuoteI would like to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the creativity this team showed with the Chapter 1 release. There was a ton of new ideas applied in this mod that made me feel the same excitement I felt when I first opened new job classes or got a new special character in vanilla. Made me feel like I was back in middle school, waiting to get home so I could keep discovering things in FFT. Seriously great work!

I keep saying this, but if you're impressed with the release version, just wait 'til the rerelease.

Guru

Whoa lots of new information here!

Very nice to see a JOT5 strategy meeting. Definitely helps to give a lil show and tell here and there  ;)

I was REALLY hoping one of the new summons was phoenix, you have officially added 2 of my all time favorite summons nice! After seeing alexander and finally having a lil free time, I think I'm off to play FFIX now lol. I do like the idea of terra being a summon too, but I'm just happy to see phoenix  :mrgreen: (beautiful job by the way!)

I was really wondering why the red mage had a re-raise instead of a revive skill, I thought maybe it was for balance purposes, but that was the major reason I ended up ditching the red mage in my character builds. Unfortunately(well not really), since you added phoenix, my build will still not change. Definitely gonna use phoenix no matter if there is a better build. Course we'll really have to wait and see once the release is out.

On a negative note tho, it almost seems like a shame to have two revive summons. Not that it's gonna hurt anything, but I'd much rather see sylph ditched or edited, especially if it meant another summon being added. Another note maybe terra would fit into carbuncles sheet?

And having reraise be a limited skill is always a good thing, it has a lot of potential to be a very OP skill and has saved my ass way too many times to count.

Hype is on! Keep it up guys