• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:51:50 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Terra Branford

Started by Smash, January 16, 2010, 10:46:26 pm

Kagebunji

Smash's thread is ruined by now, so it doesn't matter any longer :P Yes, face is too wide, I wadvise again to just use Female Ninja as a base and start over, copy/paste more, use more references, and don't do much custom.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lijj

Did I ruin your post Smash? Sorry man (or girl)! I didn't want to start my own thread because I didn't feel it was necessary. I am new so forgive me. But Smash if you'd like to help me  I'd be honored. Even if I made a perfect sprite at this point I believe they'd bitch. So even if  I were capable would it matter?
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Start over, use more copy/pasting and less custom, base I mentioned , it will look better, believe me.

Lijj

Using more copy and pasting
I 'm making many changes to it . I only have the first row of the re-do yet... But it fits in better. got rid of the shoulder-pads,more skin and armour tones,etc.

Lydyn

Lijj - it looks like Terra [or whoever that is in the bottom left] is leaning on her left side - which none of the FFT sprites are - and her left elbow seems to be pointed in.. which must hurt. Her torso also isn't angled correctly. It's a decent start though, if you've been using custom only.

Kagebunji

Far better than first attempt, I'm not in a mood to give constructive crits, sorry

Cheetah

Lijj you are doing something wrong. You show promiss, but there is something fundamentally wrong with how you are doing your sprite work and I'm not sure what it is yet. What program are you using, make sure to post 100% previews along with a 300%, always save as a PNG never a JPEG and rarely a BMP (I feel like you are loosing quality somewhere), what is your overall method? What you are doing with actual pixels looks decent, but there is somekind of weird color reduction or something you are doing that is killing these sprites to the point that I don't even want to look at them let alone comment.
Current Projects:

Kyousukeee

@ Lijj
I gave it a try to fit your Terra in a more FFT proportion and did a quick sketch .
I used Balmafula as base , her ponytail looks like the one you did . Dancer arms , slight edit .

I'll attach the .BMP file so you can use it if you want . ( I'd like to post the .GAL file but the forum doesn't allow .GAL files ;P )

Kagebunji

Yes, that is FFT style exactly, more like Terra.

Boxiii

That's the style, but as Cheetah said, your colors look really...off.

Lijj

Very kind! Thanks for the insights folks.
Cheetah: I was off to a bad start with the chaos of the palette only out of lack of proper planning but last night I just re-did  the whole thing I think I'm getting the hang of it.I'll use exact color from anther sprit, at least for the skin. I may just need to surround myself with reference to make sure I don't stray too much. I do the most of it in Photoshop with a BMP then I go to Graphics Gale & The great and late Palette Editor. But posts are pngs of screen shots (prt scr) at whatever size... so 100% & 300% from now on.

Kyousukeee: Thanks for taking the time to do that! | like the dancer's gloves a lot more but I thought Zack Fair'd be good for arms; for the shoulder pads. Wow Terra's legs got chunky hmmm I'll have to look into that! ....This is good help.

Lydyn: Good eye! I noticed the shoulder was off for sure but not the other things last night but I was so tired and just posted it anyway for the sake of information gathering I suppose.

And Kagebunji: Thanks for being so quick to reply ,through this, it has helped quite a bit.

Well, let's see what happens tonight :wink:

Kagebunji

It's okay Lijj, helping others to improve their sprites is normal. Take your time, don' try adding shoulder pads cause it looks bad on girls like Terra, and just continue Kyo's attempt. Good luck :)

Lijj

Ooof! no shoulder pads?! ....alright   :|

Lijj

how bout the theef??(color's off on the hair-band at the last one).

Cheetah

Definitely an improvement. Be careful of saving as BMP in Photoshop. I feel like it automatically limits your palette sometimes and that might be causing you issues. Only save as BMP to test.
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

I don't think that ponytail in such shape is physically possible, just copy/paste Balmafula's ponytail.  Thief looks good too, but I think it looks lees like Terra, your call.

Lijj

I was initially looking to the thief for her shoes, (actually never liked the girl thief in this game much, silly doo-rag)then I saw the barely noticeable to me before belt and collar that at least retains the V of the Terra I like from the SNES version! And it turns out the bandana is very useful as a guide for the hair animations. So this one is coming together a lot easier. :P
Cheetah: I had that problem at first with Photoshop. A random color or five can just appear in seemingly random spots on the empty slots of the color table. It's preventable but you have to be vigilant. I found saving and loading palettes for any window you plan on working in seems to work. You have to re-save anything from Photoshop in Gale or Palette Editor before Shishi's 'll accept also but I know all the short-cuts etc.in Photoshop, so it's worth dealing with these idiosyncrasies.

Lijj

mav

Hmm...the sprite is in a better direction, as is the portrait. On the portrait, change the mouth, add some more shadow on the forehead and beside the earring and maybe change out the eyes. Keep up the good work.

Lijj