• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:43:29 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Keeping ColorField after an event

Started by Kurosabes, February 04, 2013, 11:30:12 pm

Kurosabes

Hello there, I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to post something. I was wondering, is there any way to keep the ColorField command after an event has ended? What I would like to do is have a battle where the background stays in a different color throughout a battle. This would give a particular atmosphere to the battle and I'd love to know how to do this if it can be done. I've tried a few things with EVSP but the field just reverts to normal as soon as the event ends.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Jumza

February 04, 2013, 11:51:05 pm #1 Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:56:36 pm by Jumza
if it's a unique map (what I mean by this is that it only appears that one time) then you can edit the map itself. Changing the background colors is very simple with the map editor. If it appears a lot then you should still edit it to get it the way you want, just tone it down so that you can use it with other stuff and it won't seem strange.
Edit: Oops, misread it. Thought you were talking about background colors. Just follow other peoples advice I guess.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Xifanie

We can easily keep the background a certain colour using Background(), but sadly, we can't with either ColorField() or ColorUnit()...

Worse, if there is something like water animation on a map, ColorField() will be cancelled for anything animated. ColorUnit() will be cancelled by instructions such as WalkTo()

The only alternative to ColorField() is changing the state of the map using the ATTACK.OUT editor. Normally you have a Day, and a Night state, but depending of the map, the latter might not exist. There are actually many map states per map, but we still have no idea how to access them, the game originally only allows to select between 1 or 2 of them.

I'm sorry, there doesn't seem to be other alternatives to this, it doesn't seem the game was coded to allow us to do things like that, for whatever reason. I don't really know about those instructions ending after the event ended though, all I've seen is ColorField() settings vanishing once an ability using an effect file is used.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kurosabes

@Jumza
Well, I've never tried map editing so I went to download it (I believe you were referring to Ganesha, I didn't find anything else) to explore it a little. There seems to be a whole lot of stuff for me to figure out but I would manage. I didn't want the atmosphere (the field's color) to change right from the start, but if that's the closest I can get for a colored field to remain during a battle, I'll learn all there is to know from Ganesha. I'll keep that as my last resort because when an idea comes to mind, I want it done right.

Quote from: Xifanie on February 05, 2013, 01:52:45 am
The only alternative to ColorField() is changing the state of the map using the ATTACK.OUT editor. Normally you have a Day, and a Night state, but depending of the map, the latter might not exist. There are actually many map states per map, but we still have no idea how to access them, the game originally only allows to select between 1 or 2 of them.

Can the ATTACK.OUT editor already edit everything there is from ATTACK.OUT? If that's not the case, do you assume I could find those states through hex editing? I'm asking this because I know nothing about hex (or else I wouldn't have asked, I'd already be trying right now). But if there's a possibility for me to do this through hex editing, I will learn how to do it in order to have those hidden and (possibly) unused states be edited to change the field and/or units' color and/or the background's color and have them appear (and remain there) after certain effects take place.

Xifanie

I mean sure it's probably possible, but I tried to search for the states myself and didn't manage to find anything. It's kinda hard to know what to look for too.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

3lric

In Ganesha you can switch between the states with the bracket keys. So you could potentially edit one of these and see if you can make it Load in game by playing with the attack.out settings in the GUI

Kurosabes

Alright I've tried Ganesha, but the background doesn't change when I hit the bracket buttons. I've also found out I need map2gl to actually see the field's colors. I've installed that but the program just closes after I open a .GNS file. I've tried extracting the library but that didn't help (I don't know if that was necessary either). The map2gl's README also mentioned that the bracket button can change the weather. Could that be it, or does both Ganesha and map2gl have this feature? Anyway, I'm stuck right now :?