• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 01:55:37 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

TactText / EasyVent Symbol Compatibility

Started by Neophyte Ronin, January 02, 2013, 04:01:03 am

Neophyte Ronin

Is there a "Beat" code in EasyVent?  If so, what is it?

I deduced that the {0xf4} code in TacText pauses the progression of text until the player presses Circle--this from checking what Mustadio says in TactText when you query his name in the Formation screen: "Just aim. (Beat) You don't need to charge your gun!"  Beowulf also has a similar setup for what he says.  This led me to conclude that all text (and why not?) has a pause/unpause property as it progresses.  Stop me now if I'm wrong about anything I've said.

TacText is lucid about what it does, while EasyVent is another story.  Is it the same code?  I don't want to make assumptions, even though I'm itching to say yes, because the {Newline} function does a similar function as the {br} (break) function.  Since EasyVent contains all the cinemas and battles, I figured as part of dressing the script, there could be Beats involved.  Unless it would interrupt the game's impression of when a message has ended or the next action has begun, in which case it would cause too much trouble for what it's worth...

Beats in scripts help establish when a meaningful pause of at least a second or three is necessary.  Often, it's after you finish a sentence without quickly skipping to the next one.  It's a good tool for dramatic tension, in other words.  Tactics' script would not suffer for pausing meaningfully.  If not, then the whole script would require countless {br} breaks, and for someone using Square back-scrolling, that might prove tedious while reading a re-translated version of the game.  I'm trying to make this scheme work as well as look pretty.

3lric

{delay:XX}

but delays are absolutely horrible and should never be used in FFT events.

l i t t l e m o n e y

I mean really man, the way we all learned was from looking at Vanilla events.. They are all right there in EVSP to compare with.
  • Modding version: PSX

Neophyte Ronin

Figuring out how far an 0F delay goes next to a 5F delay should be inordinately simple... once some prior testing is done.  There's Sturgeon's Law going on.  Why else would I make an attempt.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.  Now it's a question of how long a beat lasts for it to be meaningful in context to the scene.  The l i t t l e  m o n e y gag shouldn't happen.

Neophyte Ronin

You mean {delay:0F} {delay:00}, right?  Yeah, I got that.  It was written in the sequences where text was laid out in front of a background painting.  Good to point out though.  If I am thinking straight on how a delay works, it literally counts the hex-code as milliseconds, right?

RavenOfRazgriz

That would be correct.

Just remember that "delay" is slightly inaccurate of a name and that it changes the speed in which all the following text prints instead of actually delaying the next line from printing for xxx time.  It's more like "print speed" than anything.