• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:44:57 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT: Heroes [PSX]

Started by aacroke, September 11, 2019, 01:36:15 am

aacroke

A new take on FFT, Heroes strives to open up the capability of the player while maintaining balance. It does not change the story, and I don't believe this should be a disqualifying factor for a patch - I believe it's possible for a game to have a perfect story, while having room for mechanical improvement.

With expanded access to some of the best inaccessible abilities in vanilla, many new jobs and uniques, and several new equipment, I believe FFT: Heroes represents a fresh new take on FFT.

A detailed log of the changes, as well as a PPF of the patch, are included in the attached zip file.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

QuoteIt does not change the story, and I don't believe this should be a disqualifying factor for a patch - I believe it's possible for a game to have a perfect story, while having room for mechanical improvement.

"Disqualifying factor"? I'm confused as to why you'd think it would be. I'd certainly argue that the mechanical side is what needs the most attention, it's just that a solely Patcher/Shishi set of changes is pretty bog standard when it comes to FFT mods, which results in your mod not standing out from the rest. I don't believe it's ever stopped anyone from having a patch listed in this section, though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: Nyzer on September 11, 2019, 02:08:49 am
"Disqualifying factor"? I'm confused as to why you'd think it would be. I'd certainly argue that the mechanical side is what needs the most attention, it's just that a solely Patcher/Shishi set of changes is pretty bog standard when it comes to FFT mods, which results in your mod not standing out from the rest. I don't believe it's ever stopped anyone from having a patch listed in this section, though.

Nyzer is correct. Vanilla patches are fine, as long as you are fine with little to no feedback or comments. Not many people really play vanilla patches since there are soo many to choose from that add a bit more than what vanilla already offers in terms of ASMs or other mechanics.

I'm not looking down at vanilla patches, its more that, realistically, there is only so much you can do when it comes to keeping everything vanilla and just making a patch in FFTP and Shishi, and unfortunately, due to that and limitations of sprite and ability space, you arent likely to do something that no one else has ever done before.

For example, you say that you 'add a bunch of new characters and uniques', however, those of us who know the game know that that's really just replacing whats already there in terms of party capabiltiies, rather than actually adding new recruitable units on top of whats already there (ie: changing a scene or two to properly introduce and add in another character to the story in a lore friendly way).

Again, there is nothing wrong with that. FFTP and Shishi do what they say on the tin, but not much else, and many people who still come back to this game after all this time, either prefer to see something new, or just play vanilla as they remember it.

aacroke

@Nyzer, Elric: Thanks very much for your feedback. All of that makes sense to me. I'm glad that, despite the factors you just mentioned, FFHacktics is a community where I am still welcome to share my take on the game with the community.

There are also other ways I can contribute - for example, I designed a '2-player FFT versus' application that essentially takes all the time and work out of playing FFT 2-player with a gameshark by allowing you to customize what you like, and generate the gameshark codes at the click of a button. Additionally, I'm writing an application that essentially lets a DM run a tabletop FFT game, using a screen and no pen/paper.

FFT is my fave game all-time, and I love to help out where I can. Thanks again!

Tails_Doll_Prower

Not to but in, but I always liked the concept of a "2 Played - Versus" However I played the Original over and over Again- Back in 2014 However, I like a different concept of things, even it means keeping things of the story Original, small Tweaks can make a game a Little Harder, or better in a way.

But i like Tweaks. and all that enhances a battle System. Don't Feel Discouraged. Be proud of the things your able to do man Don't give on something so small, and one day you can perhaps make something your own.