• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

PSP FFT

Started by Mustadioooooo, December 08, 2007, 05:57:18 am

Mustadioooooo

December 08, 2007, 05:57:18 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mustadioooooo
Im trying to extract the sprites on the PSP version of FFT.

Has anyone done this already?

I have managed to extract the videos, and the icons for the game, but the rest is in a file called fftpack and it says its a BIN file.

I've already tried to turn it into an .iso but none of the programs let me. I also tried to extract it or burn it into a CD. None worked...  :cry:

Programs used - UltraISO - MagicISO - WinISO

Xifanie

December 08, 2007, 11:01:44 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
That file is not a regular image file. It was designed to be read by the PSP so it's format is incompatible with Windows, not allowing us to directly see the different files inside unless someone would make a program that would allow us to.

Is is possible they just combined everything into one file too... Making it exactly like a regular SNES ROM. However SNES tools won't work as pointers works differently with the MIPS processors.

I can't help more, I don't have the game. I could rent it for research purposes but that would cost me 4-5 bucks just to get it. :S

Plus I wouldn't be able to play it. XD
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Mustadioooooo

December 09, 2007, 03:02:55 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mustadioooooo
I found an italian forum that developed a tool to extract the contents of it.

But its the source code, which would mean i would have to compile it. And i dont know how to~   :cry:

melonhead

December 11, 2007, 09:08:19 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
I've translated Brisma's tool and made a build in Cygwin.
It should work on the US or European version of FFTPACK.BIN (since they are identical...)
http://lioneditor.googlecode.com/svn/fftpack/fftpspext.exe

The file only has a list of offsets, so there's no way to get meaningful filenames like you can see on the PSX disc. You just have to guess based on the content and size..

karsten

December 12, 2007, 02:07:51 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "melonhead"I've translated Brisma's tool and made a build in Cygwin.
It should work on the US or European version of FFTPACK.BIN (since they are identical...)

The file only has a list of offsets, so there's no way to get meaningful filenames like you can see on the PSX disc. You just have to guess based on the content and size..

please some more understandable infos. what does it do? what can it do? what will it do? what option?

Mustadioooooo

December 12, 2007, 02:40:03 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mustadioooooo
Thats the program i found on the Italian site. FFTPSPEXT

The file names don't make any sense.

What program are you guys using to find the sprites?

melonhead

December 12, 2007, 03:34:38 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "karsten"
Quote from: "melonhead"I've translated Brisma's tool and made a build in Cygwin.

please some more understandable infos. what does it do? what can it do? what will it do? what option?

Consider FFTPACK.BIN to be like an archive of files. Instead of many files like on the Playstation disc, there is just one with many contained in it.
The beginning of FFTPACK.BIN has a list of addresses. These are the offsets in the file for where to find each "sub file".

FFTPSPEXT can extract all the files out of FFTPACK.BIN, then you can look at them or modify them how you wish. Then you can use FFTPSPEXT again to rebuild the FFTPACK.BIN with your changes.

It is not possible to give a file name to each file inside FFTPACK.BIN, because the files are not named. The PSP just looks at certain offsets in FFTPACK.BIN to get the information it needs, instead of accessing a file in a filesystem.

Some of the files extracted b FFTPSPEXT are identical to the Japanese version of the Playstation game. (For example, "fftpack.4" is identical to SLPS_007.70).

I'll work tonight to determine which files exactly are duplicates from Japanese PSX game, and then it can be determined what files are new or have changed when they ported the game to PSP.

melonhead

December 13, 2007, 01:26:42 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Try the new version http://lioneditor.googlecode.com/svn/ff ... pspext.exe

This will take the FFTPACK.BIN from the PSP UMD, and split it out into a file structure that looks like the PSX game with WORLD/, MAP/, MENU/, EVENT/, BATTLE/, etc.

To use:
fftpspext -d FFTPACK.BINThen, a directory will be made called fftpack that contains all the files.
To rebuild the FFTPACK.BIN after you make changes:
fftpspext -r NEWFILE.BIN

Cheetah

January 20, 2008, 02:58:01 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Here is a site with the ripped FFT PSP Sprites:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/squeni ... ntasy/fft/
Current Projects:

Xifanie

January 20, 2008, 04:38:35 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Onion Knights aren't blonde!?

BLASPHEMY!
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Xifanie

January 20, 2008, 04:40:20 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Among the new sprites, only balthier looks decent.

Cheetah

January 20, 2008, 06:27:10 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Quote from: "Zodiac"Among the new sprites, only balthier looks decent.

Balthier is pretty sweet looking all right, even better in motion. Is there any way the new classes could be implemented into the original FFT? From what I hear almost everything is in the same format once you decompress the fftpack.bin, something I'm trying to do myself right now.
Current Projects:

Zozma

January 21, 2008, 12:19:36 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
well im sure you can do it, only one thing tho.. for the time being you will still have the same problem with the missing attack animations... im afraid youll probably have to make him mage only for the time being but im definately gonna use him he looks great compared to the other new characters.

sweet, i converted that rip into a working balthier sprite pasting it over one of mustadio's two identical sprites
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

April 24, 2008, 05:45:51 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Melonhead:

Are you still hosting fftpspext.exe?
Current Projects:

Zuka

December 20, 2008, 07:53:26 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
Quote from: "Zodiac"That file is not a regular image file. It was designed to be read by the PSP so it's format is incompatible with Windows, not allowing us to directly see the different files inside unless someone would make a program that would allow us to.

Is is possible they just combined everything into one file too... Making it exactly like a regular SNES ROM. However SNES tools won't work as pointers works differently with the MIPS processors.

I can't help more, I don't have the game. I could rent it for research purposes but that would cost me 4-5 bucks just to get it. :S

Plus I wouldn't be able to play it. XD

This makes me sad Zodiac, I really enjoyed the extensive revisions in WotL, the new characters are great, and I think it would have been a game any fan of the original would enjoy, besides, for every one person here without it, I lose one opponent in melee, lol