• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:51:05 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Getting ready to learn how to become a Spriter.

Started by Joseph Strife, December 17, 2011, 11:36:19 am

Joseph Strife

What do i need? I looked at some tutorials here on FFH, but i couldn't find some things.
What programs will i need to download and what i'll need to read and learn? I've found Lijj's 8-part turorial and i'll see it slowly coz my net is terrible these days.
Point me out everything please guys, i'm realy willing to learn how to do it. :)
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

3lric

Quote from: Joseph Strife on December 17, 2011, 11:36:19 am
What do i need? I looked at some tutorials here on FFH, but i couldn't find some things.
What programs will i need to download and what i'll need to read and learn? I've found Lijj's 8-part turorial and i'll see it slowly coz my net is terrible these days.
Point me out everything please guys, i'm realy willing to learn how to do it. :)

Did you find everything i had PM'd you about?
  • Modding version: PSX

Joseph Strife

I've gonna hang out with some friends, so i'm trying to get them now.
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"

Lijj

Quote from: Joseph Strife on December 17, 2011, 11:36:19 am
.. slowly coz my net is terrible these days.

I hear you; mine is free but slow.
Here are two essentials in my opinion if you arent using magnifixer already:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5084.0
I'm sure I've linked/ mentioned this in the video thread too. But this is good to have.
Using instant refresh in Shishi's is crucial for making the sprite's animations nice and clean.

Magnifixer is also pretty cool for use in emulating the game in pixel perfect native resolution; Mode 0, 256x240, for FFT.
Since it is not a fast paced game magnifixer set at max fps (30) can keep up on the animations.

Joseph Strife

Quote from: Lijj on December 18, 2011, 07:22:36 pm
I hear you; mine is free but slow.
Here are two essentials in my opinion if you arent using magnifixer already:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5084.0
I'm sure I've linked/ mentioned this in the video thread too. But this is good to have.
Using instant refresh in Shishi's is crucial for making the sprite's animations nice and clean.

Magnifixer is also pretty cool for use in emulating the game in pixel perfect native resolution; Mode 0, 256x240, for FFT.
Since it is not a fast paced game magnifixer set at max fps (30) can keep up on the animations.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for that. I'll sure bother you more if problems/doubts show up (of course they will :P)

GeneralStrife

what exactly are your questions you still have if any?

Joseph Strife

I already have shishi, magnifixer and pallete editor, i was thinking of trying a little head swaps and that kind of things just to get started and get used to see things in pixels size. Them on to making my own custom sprites. I nedd anything else? Photoshop? Grapichs Gale?

GeneralStrife

gg is useful for palettes and the square selection tool but that's all I use it for.

Joseph Strife

Then it is time to play with them all a little. :P

Twinees

Photoshop is boss, it can make things so much faster - particularly recolouring certain sections which you would have to do pixel by pixel with GraphicsGale (Just ask Lijj).

Lijj

December 24, 2011, 02:47:05 am #10 Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:24:39 am by Lijj
And if you've watched the 8 part starter's guide it's all in photoshop. The  keyboard shortcuts and what not are for Photoshop only anyway. The video's meaningless if your just going to use GG.

Sometime in January I'll make a very concise spriting tutorial with text, images and short clips of video. I just saw the request in that other thread.

Though the main reason I'm here is because I realized I have been wrong about FFT's resolution. It's native resolution is 512x480. The maps, textures and HUD are all 512x240 while the sprites and portraits on another layer are 256x240 doubled to fit 512x480. I was playing Parted Ways last night when I discovered this. The best looking FFT exp yet!

This is also known as psx mode 06. I'm actually peeved to see the game stretched out all the time.

Joseph Strife

Then Photoshop it is, i've yet to download it and to see the 8-part tutorial, but i'll wait till january 1st, that's when my net gets better (i use 3G :?)