• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:21:20 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Crashes after editing in FFTacText

Started by Porklin, January 15, 2020, 02:18:05 pm

Porklin

Hey all,
Whenever I try to edit a patched TLW .bin in TacText (v 0.483), the game crashes each time I go into Formation.
The edit doesn't matter - I even tried patching it over with the unchanged .fftext and it still crashed.
The same edits did not result in a crash with an unpatched FFT .bin.

My emulator is ePSXe 2.05.

Am I missing something incredibly simple?

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: porklin

Xifanie

January 15, 2020, 02:38:55 pm #1 Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:04:59 pm by Xifanie
Have you loaded the text from your ISO after patching it? Ironically, Tactext sucks at interpreting what it patched, thus you should always only ever open/edit/save a .ffttext file that was extracted from an unmodified ISO.

EDIT: Wow I derped hard, I didn't realize this was about TLW specifically
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Porklin

So I just opened TacText from a "clean" The Lion War iso (so, it's has the .ppf applied to a fresh FFT iso)

I went through the following steps:
1. Opened the "clean" TLW iso
2. Edited the word "magic" in Cure's ability description to "magid" (same character length)
3. Saved the .fftteext file as "magid.ffttext"
4. Reopened "magid.fftext"
5. Patched that "clean" TLW iso
6. Opened that iso in ePSXe
7. Loaded a hard save (just after first Gariland fight)
8. Opened Formation
9. CRASH

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Porklin on January 15, 2020, 02:57:48 pm
So I just opened TacText from a "clean" The Lion War iso (so, it's has the .ppf applied to a fresh FFT iso)

I went through the following steps:
1. Opened the "clean" TLW iso
2. Edited the word "magic" in Cure's ability description to "magid" (same character length)
3. Saved the .fftteext file as "magid.ffttext"
4. Reopened "magid.fftext"
5. Patched that "clean" TLW iso
6. Opened that iso in ePSXe
7. Loaded a hard save (just after first Gariland fight)
8. Opened Formation
9. CRASH

Reapply all the ASM hacks from the Base Resources pack after you patch it with TacText. I was having a similar issue and it worked for me.
  • Discord username: Zanmato

Porklin

Quote from: Zantetsuken on January 15, 2020, 03:07:07 pm
Reapply all the ASM hacks from the Base Resources pack after you patch it with TacText. I was having a similar issue and it worked for me.

I'll admit, I don't quite entirely understand how to do that/what that means, but I will try to figure out! Thanks

EDIT:

I see now the forum topic - I'll read through this. I might have missed an important step in getting TLW set up!

Edit 2:

Oh dang! I'm embarassed here. I hadn't downloaded the base resources at all. Mods, feel free to delete/lock this thread. I'll up my game, and come back if things are still messed up.

3lric

I mean, the instructions clearly state to use tactext .457 for patching tactext file. Which is why .457 is included in the resources

Porklin

Yep! I completely missed the resources thread and just jumped to the main site's downloads section to get the tools I thought I needed. My mistake entirely.

3lric

It happens lol. Hopefully this thread will help others with the same issue

Porklin

So, after using the patcher, tactext, and ASM programs within the TLW resource folders as instructed, I have fixed this SNAFU! Thanks everyone!

JadeKnightblazer

Quote from: Elric on January 16, 2020, 02:34:03 amIt happens lol. Hopefully this thread will help others with the same issue

Yes thanks to this post. I have been rubbing my head on why a simple text change kept crashing formation window @_@

Any idea what ASM that causes this or what tactext changes to spaz it out?
  • Discord username: JadeKnightblazer

Nyzer

Weren't you planning on using non-TLW ASMs? Have you merged those with TLW?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: JadeKnightblazer on June 04, 2021, 10:33:52 amYes thanks to this post. I have been rubbing my head on why a simple text change kept crashing formation window @_@

Any idea what ASM that causes this or what tactext changes to spaz it out?

You should not be making any tactext changes unless you are building TLW from scratch with the resources provided. Tactext must be patched before the ASMs are applied in the case of TLW

JadeKnightblazer

June 04, 2021, 06:15:14 pm #12 Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:36:59 pm by JadeKnightblazer
@ Elric and Nyzer, yes rebuilding using the resource pack provided!!

I have been patching my final non-TLW ASMs at the end, however I am guilty of trying to do some txt polish this morning and kept crashing the formation loading screen.

Normally I would load up FFtactext(.457) change text and patch (Though sometimes it fails but there is a way to get it to work).

How am I able to use the TLW- FFTText Editor sheet? no XML option tab below, or do you use another means?

edit: 2: Eh figured it out, using the TLW tactext.ffext provided, making changes there and patching to a fresh TLW ISO, then readding each TLW ASM (1 at a time? seemed having them all checked and patched at once didn't work, however pain staking 1 at a time worked). Nextly repatching my adjustments and ASM.

TY once again for this post!!!

Edit: I am using Office.net to do my spreadsheets (free), I am guessing there are some missing features? I notice loading up in no edit mode, that there are buttons and bullets to click.

Nyzer

The problem with non-TLW ASM hacks is that AFAIK a lot of early ASM hacking was not just unfriendly on console, but pretty touch-and-go in general, causing issues with other ASM hacks or even just with emulating otherwise unpatched ISOs.

To the best of my knowledge, ALMA is a hack that doesn't see use in any current mod I'm aware of, and that is definitely for a reason.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: JadeKnightblazer on June 04, 2021, 06:15:14 pm@ Elric and Nyzer, yes rebuilding using the resource pack provided!!

I have been patching my final non-TLW ASMs at the end, however I am guilty of trying to do some txt polish this morning and kept crashing the formation loading screen.

Normally I would load up FFtactext(.457) change text and patch (Though sometimes it fails but there is a way to get it to work).

How am I able to use the TLW- FFTText Editor sheet? no XML option tab below, or do you use another means?

edit: 2: Eh figured it out, using the TLW tactext.ffext provided, making changes there and patching to a fresh TLW ISO, then readding each TLW ASM (1 at a time? seemed having them all checked and patched at once didn't work, however pain staking 1 at a time worked). Nextly repatching my adjustments and ASM.

TY once again for this post!!!

Edit: I am using Office.net to do my spreadsheets (free), I am guessing there are some missing features? I notice loading up in no edit mode, that there are buttons and bullets to click.

You don't edit in tactext for that version of TLW... You edit in the text editor spreadsheet and then export and patch with tactext

JadeKnightblazer

Quote from: Elric on June 04, 2021, 11:32:39 pmYou edit in the text editor spreadsheet and then export and patch with tactext

I am having issues with the spreadsheet sadly. Making changes and such, straight forward... being able to export it into something usable... not so much.

Seems working on the spreadsheet via online (office.com) doesn't include the features I need? Opening up the spreadsheet in view mode only (Not purchased excel), there seems to be check list and radio buttons, however on the website those are missing.

Best guess, I need to buy the Product...

Doesn't seem to be a XML tab on the bottom either, which I commonly use for ASM.  RIP

3lric

Quote from: JadeKnightblazer on June 04, 2021, 11:53:54 pmI am having issues with the spreadsheet sadly. Making changes and such, straight forward... being able to export it into something usable... not so much.

Seems working on the spreadsheet via online (office.com) doesn't include the features I need? Opening up the spreadsheet in view mode only (Not purchased excel), there seems to be check list and radio buttons, however on the website those are missing.

Best guess, I need to buy the Product...

Doesn't seem to be a XML tab on the bottom either, which I commonly use for ASM.  RIP

There is no xml. It has addin functions to export a tactext file itself. You should be able to acquire something like office 2007 fairly easily