• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:23:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Making an Event Editing Tutorial

Started by 3lric, December 12, 2011, 06:13:48 pm

3lric

**Dunno if this is the right section for this or not**

Okay so I have never made a tutorial before, and i have uncovered very little to no information on my own, everything i know has either been learned from other info on the site, EasyVent, the main page or by my posts in the help section.

I am by no means the best Event Editor on FFH, I would have to assume that Kokojo is the King of events since i haven't seen more then 3 or 4 scattered around from other members.
(maybe I'm just not looking hard enough)
All my experience comes from help I've gotten and massive amounts dedication in addition to much trial and error
So in order to make this tutorial i have been advised to make videos of the next few events i make and work from those, which i will do
so what i need from you all:

What do YOU want to see?
Do I have an event that you would like to see a breakdown of? (my youtube channel in signature)
What do you want the most focus on?
When/if you ever tried to make an Event, what made it hard for you?
Do you have a small event you would like me to make to show how certain things work or can be done?
Any other info you can give that might make this tutorial easier to make, without making a tutorial on tutorials? lol

I'm also going to kinda base the interest in this on how much time i spend on it. I mean i will make it either way, but people have to WANT to learn
how to make events for it to matter, I can help as much as you let me but its ultimately on how much time you are willing to dedicate to making a good event.

So give me some feedback on this so i can start.

And also, lol i will have someone go through and re-write my text before i submit a tutorial as I am aware that my hands often move faster then my brain thinks :P

-Elric42
  • Modding version: PSX

Eternal

I'd like to see when certain events are coupled together, like Display Dialogue/Wait for Instruction.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Twinees

It would be good if you showed ChangeMap working; some people say they can't get it to work, others can, its damn annoying :P.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

I am amped to see you make anything on this!!!

3lric

December 12, 2011, 10:53:50 pm #4 Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:02:14 pm by Elric42
Quote from: Eternal248 on December 12, 2011, 06:35:10 pm
I'd like to see when certain events are coupled together, like Display Dialogue/Wait for Instruction.

I see no problem making a section explaining a lot of the different commands that are tied together  :mrgreen:

Quote from: Twinees on December 12, 2011, 07:33:39 pm
It would be good if you showed ChangeMap working; some people say they can't get it to work, others can, its damn annoying :P.

This is a wonderful suggestion since i know there has been some confusion on this, I actually used it in Snake's Intro to simulate the falling scene, I will make a short event to display this working correctly as well.

Quote from: Kuraudo Sutoraifu on December 12, 2011, 10:42:02 pm
I am amped to see you make anything on this!!!

I'm actually pretty amped to start making it as well. I intend to start later this week, the main thing I'm waiting on is more input from you all, so anything you want to see a breakdown of, BIG or Small let me know and I will be glad to oblige, I love a good challenge  :mrgreen:.

ALSO, one thing to keep in mind is that this is the first of a series of tutorials I'm going to make, in the attempt of making a basic "HOW TO MAKE A MOD" Guide. The next part after the Event Editor tutorial will be:

- Gameflow Editor tutorial for Pokeytax's version of the Gameflow Editor (which will include several ways to add new events to vanilla's gameflow, as well as atleast 2 or 3 different ways of making a sidequest)
- RAD 3,
- Eventually ALMA, and ARH.
- I don't really think there needs to be a tutorial on FFTP, FFTactext, or shishi since they are all pretty self explanatory. And Raven and Cheetah have already done great jobs on their Attack.out Conditional Tutorials so I don't see any reason to do one of those either unless anyone really needs a dummies guide for it.

Celdia

My next project is going to be a strange sort of hack that will be removing use of the world map entirely. Something I'm going to need for that is some working knowledge on how to go from the end of a battle to calling the Do You Want To Save option, then the formation screen, then to either the Soldier Office or Shop and finally a two option choice (like the Save Algus/Destroy Death Corps selection or more likely like the North Gate of Bethla/South Gate of Bethla selection) that will take you to one of two different battles depending on the player's decision. Having any of these individually explained would certainly be useful and knowing if they will work in a combined series will pretty much determine of my entire project is viable.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

3lric

December 12, 2011, 11:34:31 pm #6 Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:16:05 pm by Elric42
Quote from: Celdia on December 12, 2011, 11:17:50 pm
My next project is going to be a strange sort of hack that will be removing use of the world map entirely. Something I'm going to need for that is some working knowledge on how to go from the end of a battle to calling the Do You Want To Save option, then the formation screen, then to either the Soldier Office or Shop and finally a two option choice (like the Save Algus/Destroy Death Corps selection or more likely like the North Gate of Bethla/South Gate of Bethla selection) that will take you to one of two different battles depending on the player's decision. Having any of these individually explained would certainly be useful and knowing if they will work in a combined series will pretty much determine of my entire project is viable.

EDIT: Unfortunately, from what I'm being told it seems this would require some ASM work, which I'm not familiar with. :/
but if anyone ever happens to make this work i would love to make use of it as well