• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:46 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

(Unofficial FFT: Complete v.51) FFT: Prime

Started by Austin, July 16, 2019, 05:08:22 pm

Austin

July 16, 2019, 05:08:22 pm Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:11:43 pm by Austin
Hi, hopefully I'm not ruffling any feathers by posting this here, but I've released a hack that tries to fix up the remaining issues with FFT: Complete as well as restoring abilities/stats/etc. to what they were in the original JP release. I've made some other changes that go outside the scope of Complete's original goals, but it's nothing too extreme and most people looking to play the ps1 version with wotl's translation probably wouldn't mind them. Even if you do, I've included my ffttext/fftpatch/xml files so you can pick and choose and change whatever you want.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep a detailed list of fixes, but in case the FFT: Complete team ever comes back to release an official version I tried to go back through and make a list of what I fixed. This is just what I remember off the top of my head so there was probably more besides what I'm listing below. Needless to say, the best place to start would just be going back through the old posts in these threads since other people had already found and listed out a lot of the problems. I also want to say thanks to the whole FFT: Complete team for doing all this work in the first place, so thanks!  :P

Events - The event at the end of the game where vormav(folmarv) transforms into lionman had unchanged text. 1st battle tutorial had r1/L1 and r2/L2 mixed up.

Ability descriptions - esuna, spacestorageback, grand cross

Ability names - Northswain's strike, critical: recover hp, critical: recover mp, master teleportation

Ability quotes - some could be spaced out better instead of using {SP}

Battle Menus - Many things were left unchanged here, and the Options menu on the world map apparently can't have its text changed, so I figure it's better to have the battle options menu left unchanged to match and change the 1st and last battle tutorial to match as well. This one's just my opinion though

Birthday entry - Unchanged, can be made to look better

Brave story/character bios - there were a few typos listed out in posts made by people here.

Confirmation messages - pretty sure a lot of these were unchanged

Item descriptions - several knives, flame rod, ice rod, lamias harp, earth clothes, spike shoes

Item names - Power Gauntlet

Location names/map locations - a few were unchanged

menu options help - may not match Options menu

Propositions - 90: cherish memories had typo with (Press o to accept task.) I think.

Rumors - some typos, looked through old posts on here to find them

Shop text - Completely unchanged, presumably due to the lack of space. I managed to get the WOTL text over, but had to cut quite a lot of it out to fit. Obviously, what gets cut and what doesn't is a matter of opinion. Having the names be Merchant/Master/Trader helped me to save space.

skillset names - I think wiegraf's holy sword and olan's astrology got mixed up, i seem to recall the undead knight's sword skill not being changed too

Tavern text - quite a few of these are too long and go past the textbox, have 5 spaces next to Resume/Restart on #75
  • Modding version: PSX

Valvadrix

I'm pretty new to installing hacks, so forgive me for asking. Do I need to install version .50 first or will this work if I install it on the raw game?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: Valvadrix#4224

Sevenforce

I just have a question about this mod, is the Dark night class available to learn for anyone? If so what are the requirements?

tap

Picked up the steam deck and wanted to play FFT on it; made this account to say thanks for the best mod out there -- the newer translation is objectively superior, as is the base PSX game (sound effects, visuals, no cheesy cutscenes).

Not only that, but the few "convenience" tweaks you made go a long way.. it almost feels like this is the way the game was originally intended to be played. You notice in THE FIRST BATTLE.. enemies cast spells/have viable 2nd jobs and hell even Gafgarion cast some black magic on one turn.

(for those wondering, this just comes about organically due to reduced JP cost for abilities)

In short, thanks. Just what I was looking for and even better than expected.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

iamthehorker

I took the liberty of adding the WotL chapter title text to Prime, mostly due to chapter 4's text using the old translation (as seen below). You can update the OP if you like, or you can download the attachment to this post for those who would want this :)

Austin

June 07, 2023, 01:26:27 am #5 Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:10:29 pm by Austin Reason: update2
Ooh, this is pretty nice! Have you or anyone else done a full playthrough with it? I'm going to do a small update to the hack to fix some minor issues (mainly Elidibus's dialog being unchanged) and I'd be happy to include your chapter titles as long as there aren't any problems with them.

I wasn't even sure this section was even here anymore but I got to it by googling FFT Complete lol. I hadn't checked back in since I uploaded the last version.

I doubt the people above need their questions answered at this point, but you should apply the ppf to the vanilla unchanged FFT image and no, there are no extra jobs like Dark/Onion Knight in this version. I think The Lion War mod on here does that though. Easiest way to apply the patch is with romhacking.net's Online ROM Patcher.

Edit: It's been a week, gonna go ahead and put the update on the first post. Afraid I don't have the time to test out the chapter titles, but if anyone wants to add them to the update and upload it then feel free to do so. I've added in all the files and directions needed so that you can just have the translation without any gameplay changes if anyone wants to use this as a base for their own patch.

suchipi

Thanks for this! I was looking for WoTL translation in PSX without any gameplay changes and this is perfect for that. I patched it using Rom Patcher JS and it works great!