• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:15:47 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Patch Collaboration

Started by Archael, November 07, 2008, 10:31:40 pm

Cheetah

November 11, 2008, 04:36:40 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Do we know where the little Map Ramza is stored though? I didn't realize we could do all the stuff you just mentioned, and I try to keep up with this stuff too.
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

November 11, 2008, 04:47:37 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm... well we can guess he's somewhere on the map file, but I am referring to changing him through the B0 command the game uses at chapter changes. A lot of the things all deal with the B0 function. It's a bit tricky at first, but is quite simple, now for game progression, more testing is required on certain B0 functions at the end of eventts, but I believe I am close to figuring that out, after which a list would need made up.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Lydyn

November 11, 2008, 09:54:03 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Calling for help!

While I'm doing decent on my own for FFT: Resolution, I'd really appreciate some help on my project from anyone who can commit a decent amount of time to it. Disco_Peach and Zozma have helped a ton with some story ideas and spriting, but this is a rather big project. I could use any spriters (I know these are rare) and storyboard/idea people at the moment. I'll probably put a limit though, as to keep secrets ... secret.

Storyboard/Ideas
1) Disco_Peach
2)
3)

Spriters
1)
2)

VincentCraven

November 12, 2008, 07:38:35 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "Cheetah"Welcome back Vincent.

Glad to be back.

I could make up several excuses, but I really just needed time away from the game to appreciate how awesome it really is.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

boomkick

November 13, 2008, 02:28:12 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Like i said before, ill be glad to help out with storyboard/ideas.

I can brainstorm quite some in a short amount of time. Not to brag or anything but i think i could help out. This includes both Lydyn's patch and the Patch Collaboration itself.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 04:10:11 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
reviving this topic so ppl readddd

dddd

Zalge

February 05, 2009, 04:31:27 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
K, I read the first post.

You're saying that the community work on certain patches all at once? I guess it makes sense. It helps patches get done much faster then the normal months to years that it seems to take.

The problem is deciding on a patch to support and work on. I personally like my patch, but that's because its my patch and I think I have some good ideas.

If I had to pick another patch to support... I'd choose... FFT: Remix. The other ones that I WOULD support (The Holy Armada, The Death Knight's Legend) don't really seem to have all their ideas together. "The Holy Armada" has a good story, but it doesn't really have a list of job changes or skill changes if there will be any. And "The Death Knight's Legend" doesn't seem to have its story solid, but that may be because he just doesn't want to ruin it.

NOTE: In my patch, Zozma, Zodiac, Vincent Craven, and Voldemort make appearances =D And... well, I do to as the main character xD but, trust me, the main character won't act like me.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 04:39:47 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zalge"I personally like my patch, but that's because its my patch and I think I have some good ideas.

That's the entire frikken problem.

"My idea"

"Me"

"my patch"

"My jobs"

"My story"

people need to realize that their ideas aren't always the best ones and contribute to doing what they do best to help create a project that on the whole, is infinitely superior

that is why movies and TV shows have writers

people who are GOOD at making stories

we have DIRECTORS

we have ARTISTS

some people are better suited to certain things

but this whole "I am the best at everything because it's my patch and I want things my way"

is going to get:

1) alot of useless new project ideas that end up going nowhere
2) forum sections that end up seeing zero use
3) ideas / creative talent that goes to waste
4) people who are not satisfied because their work / ideas never even get seen or played by anyone

the selfishness needs to stop, and more people must agree to sacrifice their greedy vision of how a project must be and accept that others do certain things better than they can

I'll give you an example:

Mercenaries has a better story and better storyteller than the great deal of you will ever come up with (myself included)

instead of trying to top Mercenaries' story (you won't), we should be working ON mercenaries doing things that each is good at

I suck at spriting, but I have a pretty good idea for what makes a skill and job fun to play (I used to do heroes and abilities on several well-known WC3 mods such as DOTA:Allstars, DOTA:Original, Megalith, and a bunch of others) as well as worked on a bunch of RPG's for Brood War

that is something I can contribute to Mercenaries

you don't see me trying to incorporate my own vision of storyline into mercenaries (hell, I don't even try to incorporate anything of my own into 1.3, I just take the best ideas the community has to make the game better and implement them)

instead of going "fuck that, I will make MY OWN PATCH cuz I WANT THINGS MY WAY"

I go "this project is going places, let me abandon my patch that is going nowhere and put my effort and hard work into this project so that I can be known as having worked on it"

this will come across as extremely harsh to some

but this is seriously the situation on this site right now.

if you disagree, you're part of the problem

Kokojo

February 05, 2009, 04:51:11 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
I disagree. If FFT:remix, 1.3, Mercenaries or SOR needs a bit of help, il gladly help the best i can (See, my speciality is simple event editing and battle ideas)

I can't disagree that 6-7 people on a pacth could be awesome, but it would be lame. The parts separated, the little changes everyone wants. I understand this is somewhat a mature community (please don't quote this) but problems would be all over the place.

I love COP and even if its not completed or near being completed, i like it when people comments on things i think off, its my creation.

Now stop being fucking harsh and thinking your ideas are awesome, nobody thinks the same way, and if we want our pacth, even if its slow, then we will do it.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Zozma

February 05, 2009, 04:56:12 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
FFH has given me a hobby of some sorts. Its many people's dream to make their own patch, their own edits etc. and even if some never complete their patches or edits, its the ride along the way that's important. at least to me.
I've contributed plenty for other patches just by making sprites and i sure as hell did not come here, on this free site with this program made for everyone's enjoyment to be told how to use it and what to use it for.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Archael

February 05, 2009, 04:57:15 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zozma"I've contributed plenty for other patches and i sure as hell did not come here, on this free site with this program made for everyone's enjoyment to be told how to use it and what to use it for.

That's why there will always be a difference between a project the entire community works on and the lolpatch that only the creator ends up playing.

Zozma

February 05, 2009, 05:00:00 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
So start this collection patch and get ppl from this site to help you. that doesn't mean everyone is going to be interested in working on it. I'm not

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:02:55 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zozma"So start this collection patch and get ppl from this site to help you. that doesn't mean everyone is going to be interested in working on it. I'm not

this topic isn't about starting a new patch

I don't want another patch

but thanks for letting us know you wouldn't be interested should we need help from the community

it'll save us trouble later

Zozma

February 05, 2009, 05:08:18 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
Quote from: "Voldemort"this topic isn't about starting a new patch

then why are you complaining so much? If you don't like the fact that someone is making a patch, then just don't play that patch. Its funny how this topic resurfaces just all of a sudden.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:10:16 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zozma"
Quote from: "Voldemort"this topic isn't about starting a new patch

then why are you complaining so much? If you don't like the fact that someone is making a patch, then just don't play that patch. Its funny how this topic resurfaces just all of a sudden.

it resurfaced because of the staggering amount of new patches in this forum section lately

I'm not so much complaining as voicing the situation of what is happening right now

there is no denying that we have too many patches, and there is no denying that the great majority of them will never see completion for the reasons stated in the original post

that, is a waste of time

and I like seeing finished projects that people actually end up playing

not "the ride along" that never gets finished and only matters to one guy's personal enjoyment

Zalge

February 05, 2009, 05:12:13 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Zozma, I think what he is trying to say, is that if we had more people working on one patch, it would increase the productivity of the patches, we would be pushing out patches more often rather than putting out maybe half of one ever year or two. With a lot of people working, that means more will get done, and more patches will be put out for the people's enjoyment rather than a bunch of people working alone or with one or two other people to make a bunch of patches.

Zozma

February 05, 2009, 05:22:42 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah i get that, but bashing those who only want to work on their own or in small groups wont help anything. especially if there would have been a chance of them taking interest in the collaboration patch further down the line and contributing at least a small portion. Hell, if you had actually started something already instead i might want to contribute, but i dont see anything, and even if you had something going, id still work on my own project anyway in between that.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:27:02 pm #37 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:28:45 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zozma"Hell, if you had actually started something already instead i might want to contribute, but i dont see anything, and even if you had something going, id still work on my own project anyway in between that.

repeat: I am not starting my own patch and have zero interest in doing so

Lasting_Dawn did though, and it's had it's own forum section for months now

you don't see the Mercenaries forum section right there?

looks like a pretty cool community project doesn't it!!

like I said it'll come across as harsh to some, but the reality is the personal patch will never be of the same quality or receive the same attention as a real project

I know there's stubborn people who will continue to try and manifest their own vision of lolpatch anyway, and that's fine, but in my eyes it's just a waste of talent and resources that could be better spent on a real project

and not a personal looooolpatch

Kokojo

February 05, 2009, 05:28:18 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
I don't get it, why getting angry on that. Yes 80% of the pacthes in the New projects forum won't ever be completed. But geez, some will, and making a gigantic group to make pacthes 300% faster won't make them better. Those that will die will die, and the others will be made for fun, not because it's work and its gotta be done.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Zozma

February 05, 2009, 05:29:36 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah, one that I've, contributed things to myself. But i could easily see myself losing interest in it with people trying to force it on me. It then becomes a chore and not something fun to work on.