• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:00:43 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Problem with FFTPatcher custom move

Started by Shishkaboom, October 11, 2010, 11:05:26 pm

Shishkaboom

So I'm trying to change the Knight class into the Heretic class, and I've begun playing around with moves in the patcher. I'm turning Rend Helmet into a ranged spell that has a chance for Confusion. Through playing with the patcher and reading the forums I've almost got it working like I want, except for 2 things.

1. When the move is executed, it strikes once when the character does his little animation (in this case he's brandishing his fist because I took off the weapon animation) and another strike when the spell resolves. How do I take off the initial strike? I only want the one when the spell resolves so it works and looks like any other spell.

2. In regards to the above, how do I make the character just wave his arms like he's casting, instead of brandishing his fist?  I couldn't find an option for that in the patcher, I'm hoping I don't have to do any hex stuff.

I apologize in advance if these questions are answered elsewhere, I searched topics and the info page on the Patcher and couldn't find any answers. Thank you!

ps. A small other issue, I read in the patcher all chances for status ailments are 25% unless otherwise noted. However, I've never seen any Confusion in my testing. Am I doing something wrong, or just unlucky?

Pride

There is an animations tab in the patcher that controls what action the character will do when an ability is executed. Go to the move you changed and copy the action used for one of the magic spells, Cure for example.

And for the last question, are you using a formula that cannot inflict a status condition? Double check to make sure you picked the correct status condition. Or you could just be unlucky.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Shishkaboom

Thank you Pride, that worked perfectly for the animation and the double hit.

As for the confuse status, through furthur testing I still have not seen it. I'm using the damage formula for Bolt with a little altering, and Add Status is checked. Inflict status drag down menu is at 36 which is the same as the confusion Talk skill used by mediators. Am I doing something wrong there?

Pride

No, then you are just unlucky. From what you said, I see no reason why it wouldn't be working. The RNG probably just isn't on your side for seeing the status.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

philsov

QuoteI'm using the damage formula for Bolt

Should be accepting status fine.  Are you getting a little "confusion" message in the damage preview window before the spell is cast?
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Shishkaboom

I am, I see the red Confusion marker. I was just fearing a bug, or that I had not done it right. I am a hacker noob after all. Thanks for the advice, guys!