• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:21:13 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Custom Character Adeia

Started by Verdeni, May 15, 2009, 05:01:28 am

Verdeni

May 15, 2009, 05:01:28 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Verdeni
This is just a preview for now, just to get some feedback on colors and whatnot. It was hard to get all the colors to fit, cause there's so many, and they're really bright. :P

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: V3rdeni

Asmo X

May 15, 2009, 05:40:55 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Way too much going on in the sprite. The chest just looks like scribbling. The white thing around her waist is incoherent too. That shading you use where there is light gray completely surrounded by darker gray looks bad. You do a similar thing with the blue on her pants. You should try to use 3 colours for the white fabric. Feet are way too big. Too much going on with the hair and it isn't shaded properly. Random dark and light patches for no discernable reason. Always keep the light source in mind.

jimmyjw88

May 15, 2009, 06:32:22 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
It's looking cool but what Asmo said are all true and need to be fix.
Also, for the white thing around her waist, I think it should be facing <---- instead of ----> according to the artwork.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Verdeni

May 15, 2009, 02:35:48 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Verdeni
lol oh shit, your right!

I did this at 3am, so i wasn't really sure of it to begin with. I always for some reason disregard the light source. The feet were taken directly from Ignis, who was the base sprite, but I can try to make them smaller. That'll let me add more shading for the white. And I'll fix the hair too lol. I guess I'm a little rusty, i used to do this all the time.  :roll:

And what do you mean by 'facing' jimmy? it's the right way...

DarthPaul

May 15, 2009, 04:16:01 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
The proportions are way off in some areas of the picture. It looks nice though.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Zozma

May 15, 2009, 04:52:38 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
with proportion you have to keep in mind the fft style, those feet are the female thief, default size, just so u know
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kaijyuu

May 15, 2009, 05:30:39 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Hair looks like a good start, though.

And is it just me, or are the feet oversized?

Zozma

May 15, 2009, 05:55:31 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
im not trying to defend the feet or anything but you have to remember, as ive already said, that this is fft and characters naturally have big boxing glove hands and big feet.

dont believe me? this is basically the template this girl came from in the first place.

I'd say, if anything, that white cloth hanging off of her waist hides her right leg to the point where it makes her feet look bigger than normal
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Asmo X

May 15, 2009, 11:36:28 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I think the bigness of the feet is almost certainly due to the darkness of the pants. Look at her right leg. The shoe looks one row of pixels bigger than the thief's and it's not until you lean right in close that you realise that row belongs to the pants which makes no sense in itself.

jimmyjw88

May 16, 2009, 12:12:48 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Quote from: "Verdeni"And what do you mean by 'facing' jimmy? it's the right way...

I know it's the right way....I meant like this, according to the artwork.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Smash

May 16, 2009, 01:00:06 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Actually, the artwork in itself has some serious anatomy issues.. Or perhaps, the dwarfism was intended.

I really can't tell.

Anyway, for the sprite, I'd suggest you to redo the chest area -without- the black belts. Those should be the details one usually leaves for last, once the basic body shape is done. In this case, if you look at the sprite from afar, it looks like a pixely mess, the dark making the worse out of it.

I should also mention that the current pallete is shit. There can easily be a friendly balance between brown and red, which could take less than 6 colors; the blues would only need 2, the darkest shade for it being black, and the rest being skin colors, some for the highlights on the hair. There should only be 2 whites, with one significantly darker than the other one.
You need to greatly tone down the saturation on the pallete.. Just looking at your sprite with the female thief sprite on it's side clearly tells you why.

Another suggestion, find a better base for the feet, or shorten it a bit.. The female thief sprite sucks in itself, better worse to edit from it.
Perhaps Balmafula's (sp?) feet could fit nicely, with a little bit of editing..

Which then brings us to the pants area. They look inflated up top, resembling a ball like appearance, and it's pillowshaded. This is, without mentioning the white cloth tied up above, which is a topic on it's own.

If you plan on fixing the pallete, one of the browns could help you as the darkest shade for the whites, to smooth it out a bit. Also, a good transiton is needed from the white to the pants, mayhap a darker one, as the clash between the gray and dark blue hurts the eye.

There's alot more that could be pointed out, but im lazy. Hopefully this crapload of critiques should solve the most notable of problems.

Verdeni

May 17, 2009, 06:14:35 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Verdeni
D: all this has really shown me is i have a long way to go lmao.

I will make a new palette from scratch and see if that works, :P

Asmo X

May 17, 2009, 09:47:19 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
making palettes is tricky. You're better off borrowing palettes from other sprites at first

Verdeni

May 18, 2009, 02:19:09 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Verdeni
Yeah I've been practicing with changing palettes around.