• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:05:32 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Any OTHER old games getting hacked for rebalancing?

Started by iopyud, October 20, 2009, 10:28:00 am

SilvasRuin

December 09, 2009, 07:55:10 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Are we talking about the same game?  I mean the one from the GBA where the final boss is a grotesque fallen angel.  The spellcasters were useful but not fantastic until you got some that could summon... and the only generics that could do that were female Sirens.  (Not including Teleport and that ability that gifts mp.  Two casters set up to keep the Teleports spamming could be extremely time-saving.  Then again, you don't need a caster to cast Teleport since Swordmasters could use it.)

Pickle Girl Fanboy

December 10, 2009, 12:15:16 pm #41 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
If you play through Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis, then there are only two human classes that get +6 strength at level up: Knight and Dragoner.

About spell casters - they all suck, except for Deneb, all the NPC mages, Lich, and maybe Cleric/Priest.  Why does Cleric have better intelligence growth than Priest?

It's one of those games that doesn't get harder as it goes along, just more tedious.  Like you said, you can just have a mage spam teleport (I think there's only one teleport spell available), and then you don't need to worry about poor movement range.  You can Snapdragon a level 50 character, then you don't have to worry about your stats sucking.  There's two many shortcuts in this game.

I agree that it needs a difficulty boost, but I believe it could be made a lot tougher by fixing the problems with stat growth, mp recovery in battle, inherent class characteristics, making all gear useful  and unique in some way, and making all spells useful and unique.

And now, a list.

Sucks:
Soldiers
Archers
Ninjas
Swordmasters (Male)
Wizards
Valkyries
Sirens
Witches
Warlocks
Beast Tamers
Dragon Tamers
Hawkmen
Mermaids
Fairies
Giants
Ghosts
Dragon Zombies
All Dragons except Vtra
Griffins
Cockatrices
Octopusi
Cerberusi
Gremlins
Lesser Demons (The recruitable NPC Saia)

Doesn't Suck... completely
Clerics
Knights
Dragoons
Priests... (Insert Catholic Joke Here)
Liches
Angel Knights... Still kinda suck because they take so long to get, and they're just flying valkries with a little extra agility and no spells slots.
Vrtra
Gorgons
NPC classes

Kick Ass
Female Swordmaster
Esquire
Predator
Fallen Angel

Why do 2/3 of this game's classes suck?

SilvasRuin

December 10, 2009, 01:57:36 pm #42 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
The only things you listed as kick ass are enemy only anyways.  XD

My take on the usefulness of some classes:
Sirens can use summons, so they're redeemed at least a little.

Swordmasters have a decent mix of attack and dexterity and are more durable than ninjas.  Those two tend to be among the few human classes worth leveling as due to being able to build up more dexterity than any other human classes, which is great for not getting killed.

Valkyries can kick ass, but their hp and the fact that they perform better with the lighter armors make them a rather easy target.  How much use you can get out of them depends largely on how easy you can keep them alive.

Liches take nearly as long to get as Angel Knights, and you can only get a max of three or so.  Their movement range is also fairly crippling.  Angel
Knights are fairly awesome in stats, having identical stats to a Knight but with more HP.  The two kinds of humans most worth getting the final emblem for happen to be these two.  In the Angel's case, it allows it to fight with a nasty morale advantage when you get Blood Reign on it as well, which should make it a fairly effective fighter.  The lack of spells does suck, the inability to use other means to up their SP sucks worse, but Banish is an awesome ability to have versus enemy spellcasters and undead.

I found Priests rather worthless.  As long as you kept stocked up with revival items, you didn't need any of the spells that are exclusive to them.  Their stats and growths were horrid.  I only ever had a character as a Priest when I was popping in and out to get the last emblem for them.

Though... all monsters suck towards the end, even Vrtra.  Its strength and intelligence growths aren't nearly enough to keep its damage up with the humans if you know what you're doing.  Unless you pump it up with absurd amounts of stat items, it is pretty weak.  They wind up only being good as support characters by getting the Charisma, Blood Reign, and whatever their self-morale boosting emblem is.  With those, they can fly and instantly give a major morale advantage nearby them, and if you go with Wind they can paralyze.  Their offense still winds up sucking.

Things I would change:
I would revamp all the growths if I could edit it.  Everything would be revised based on how hard it was to get and what strategy the class seem designed around.

Monster classes would get heavy boosts to both stats and maybe stat modifiers.  Most likely, I would power up their special attacks too, and maybe drop the SP need of some of them.  The same goes for the demi-human classes.  Giants would be given a massive boost in dexterity.  I would probably give Fairies a different mix of spells, maybe taking an attack from the special fairy sisters.  I would then beef up their intelligence growths so they could actually use it with pretty good effect.

Zombie Dragons were designed to suck in stats compared to the advanced three because of its ability to revive at random, I think.  While good in theory, it cripples its usefulness in practicality.  I feel that is easy to fix, however.  (That is, if a hacking tool for it could be found...)  Just boost the chance of its status effects and you wind up with a dragon that can weaken with its breath and poison with its bite, and that never dies unless an enemy angel gets the bright idea of banishing it.  If it only had a decent advantage from the statuses, it would be fine.

I would give Mushus Teleport to keep up with Vrtra's movement.  Naga would just be given huge movement.  It's nonsense to cripple water units on land when water maps are so few, especially since most of it FREEZES OVER in the fourth chapter.  I would give Vrtras huge strength, Mushus huge intelligence, and Nagas a good amount in both and the highest agility of the three.  All the breath attacks would get a huge spike in power.  I feel that would fit the themes and give each one its own strengths and weaknesses.  Dragons should be something to be feared on the battlefield, and those Dragoons should have their work cut out for them.

No more nonsense with with path exclusive stuff.  Heck, I would probably just remove the path option.  Very little changes other than what route you travel immediately after, when exactly angels first show up, and what two special characters you get.  As much as I love ninjas, they are only good for movement at the end-game, so the special ninja is really better off as something else.  That kind of erks me as I like keeping the special characters in their "special" classes.  The sorceress is also no different from a Siren.  I would just ditch them and arrange for the archer and paladin type guy to join up only.  (Though something would have to be done about the archer's attack power.  He's equal in every way but higher attack power as a swordmaster.)

I would change how the multiplayer items and emblems are obtained because of how unlikely that is.  I would beef up the special missions you play outside the main game, as well as the rewards.  I would also make Atropos, Clotho, and Lachesis character exclusive somehow, similar to Eleanor's special ability.  I would also either beef up bows, Lachesis, or both because they suck.  (Atropos would go to the Knight for plot reasons.  I'd probably find a way to work in the other two into the story and pick out special characters to learn them... or just make them learned automatically by the special characters at certain stats via whatever method is used for Eleanor.)

I would make the main character's Soldier special, give it two spell slots at least, and give him growths similar to what Warlock's is with vanilla so that he can be a solid character just leveled up in his own unique class or the player can change him to something more specialized for higher stats in one area.  I'd want that option to be there.  That or just give him beefier starting stats.

I would make Lich require the Blood Reign emblem (or maybe the Jibe of the Fallen Angel emblem), and maybe remove the ring thing entirely from the equation.  I'd give it only a chance of occurring so it would be more like Angel.  I would definitely buff the Angels in some way, at least lowering the costs of some of their abilities if not removing them entirely and giving them actual spell slots.  I would want both of them to be powerful and hard to get, but I would want to avoid lopsidedness in how they are obtained and how powerful they are, and I would probably nerf Lich a little bit so as to keep them from outshining the normal human classes too much.

Luminar

December 20, 2009, 07:02:06 am #43 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Luminar
"Chrono Trigger Hardtype" enemies stats are buffed while your characters stats are lowered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xD3_wuNVXs