• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:58:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

What kind of American accent do you have? (Non-Americans need not apply)

Started by Dokurider, June 11, 2011, 09:19:02 pm

Dokurider

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanAccents

Mine is a Jello Belt/Northwestern accent? Apparently so. I do indeed swallow my Ts and pronounce my Ss with an extra T. Mixed Oaths? My favorite is God Fuck Damn. I pronounce exit as egg-it and Oregon as Ore-ih-Gun. And I can pronounce Puyallup, Geoduck, Issaquah and whatever other city/tribe name up here in Washington.

You guys?

I have the same accent as the Mormons? Ff-Ahk.

GeneralStrife

Deep Southern. Like this guy
  <----      

Wiz

I've got a scandahoovian tone apparently.

Then again, I do sound sexy :mrgreen:
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Wiz on June 11, 2011, 10:23:46 pm
I've got a scandahoovian tone apparently.

Then again, I do sound sexy :mrgreen:

Yeah man I gotta contain myself watching these s5 vids.

VampragonLord

15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

st4rw4k3r

Not surprised at all Roo.

I won't hide it this time, spending the majority of my life in Texas has granted me a twang >.>
I do try hard to hide it.

philsov

50/50 Texas Drawl + Prep

no matter where I am people always ask where I'm from "because you don't sound like you're from here" :(

Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

GeneralStrife

Quote from: philsov on June 11, 2011, 11:13:08 pm
50/50 Texas Drawl + Prep

no matter where I am people always ask where I'm from "because you don't sound like you're from here" :(

They're jealous.

MountainDew~

Michigan
This is probably best described as a strange combination of the Inland North and Vermont accents. Humorously, people with these accents are perhaps the most likely to say, "But we don't have an accent," second, perhaps, only to those with the standard Midwestern accent.

- This accent is also characterized by a glottal stop; t 's (and sometimes g 's) are often chopped off at the end of words.

- Talking quickly is probably an optional part of the accent, but doing so makes the above-mentioned glottal stop more defined, and obviously, it has the effect of having words sound slurred together.

- Some endword consanants--r, in particular--are more drawn out than usual. For instance, fire sounds like "fye-errr."

I do talk rather quickly, sometimes I have to slow myself down and actually think about what I'm saying, just to make sure that it made sense. My g's and t's are only sometimes cut off because of how fast I will talk, rarely even then. I would even go so far as to say I had no accent (before looking at this)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Holographic #1363

Odal

I don't have the time to read that huge wall of text, so I just went to Florida, since that's where I grew up most of my life.

QuoteA Floridian will say "floor-ihda" instead of "flah-rda." The state citrus fruit is also notably a monosyllabic "oarnj", rather than "ahr-unge".
Does anyone say "flah-rda"?  There's no indication of an "ah" sound anywhere in the word.  Though I don't pronounce it out like "floor-ihda" either.  It's more of a combination.  I say, "floor-da"

As for Orange, it's hard to tell if I say it monosyllabic or not.  I'd say I go with more of an "Oar-inj" The "i" sound is definitely subtle and if I'm being extra lazy, I guess it could not even be there.  Again, though, who says Ahr-unge"?  No "ah" sound...

I do a good imitation of a typical, heavy, southern drawl though.  If I wanted I'm sure I could talk like that to people I've met for the first time and I'd pass as naturally having that accent.

DaveSW

Pacific Northwest, but with the cadence of someone who is clearly autistic, even though I am not.
I am awesome.

Hana

I'll leave thinking up witty signatures to the prose.

Million Melodi

I have a military-African american accent! My accent has adapted several states and countries I've lived throughout my life, so when people hear me speak all they tell me is "Your not from around here!"

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

Ha, this trope was an interesting read. I speak a Midwestern accent, as I am from Missouri.  And I do speak the newscaster English, but there are some Midwestern ticks that stray from newscaster English.  A lot of people say "warsh" instead of "wash."  Also, people around here say salad in an odd way.  They hang on that first "a" for far to long.  I don't succumb to either of these, but I hear them all the time.

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

EmmaNigma

Quote from: philsov on June 11, 2011, 11:13:08 pm
50/50 Texas Drawl + Prep

I find this quite humorous, because during my brief stint in Tennessee, I would constantly hear "ya'll urn't from 'round here, are ya?" and "guddum yankees takin' our jobs."

I actually hear this a lot no matter where I go. I have a mix of Vermon' and Inland North, which for some reason my best friend has confused with parts of ebonics. It's a pretty strange sound to most people, and having lived away from my birthplace of Saratoga Springs, NY for 19 years now, I get asked which part of the east I'm from. Apparently, I have a mix of some kind of general seafarer mixed in, but I don't hear it, as most people ask which ocean I grew up next to.

As a side note, I am glad that this thread was posted. I don't hear my own accent often, but it's apparently really obvious, and when I ask others what they think it is, they just rub the back of their necks and say it's a "mish mash" or "hodge-podge" of too many different things.

One last thing. "Plane'arium."
I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

Celdia

I remember seeing this thread when it first cropped up and I was confused by how to answer. I still am. By geography I should either have a Bostonian accent or more specifically the subset to that, a Rhode Island accent. While I do have the vocabulary, I don't have the accents. I could have picked up an accent from my parents based on their geography in their youth and been running North Midland or Inland North. Again, I don't. When I moved to Seattle for a few years, the rare times it would come up in conversation, people were AMAZED I wasn't a local and some outright refused to believe I was from Rhode Island because I didn't sound like one of the Griffins from Family Guy. For having never lived there I sounded more like I had a Pacific Northwestern accent but it wasn't quite right.

If I hear anyone speaking with a Southern, British, Irish or Australian accent I will almost immediately start speaking with a similar, fake accent. This is in no part something I do on purpose or to antagonize the person but rather something I've found I have to put willpower into to NOT do it. I carry a mixed dialect of words and phrases from all kinds of places because of people I've known that lived there (for me things are occasionally 'wicked' or 'hella' awesome, when its gets icy outside the ground gets 'slippy' and when addressing a group of people they are frequently 'y`all' and that's just the examples that come to mind quickly.) I have no definitive accent and I don't sound quite like I come from anywhere specific, and certainly not from the places I should sound like I'm from, though apparently I can pass for a Northwesterner without any logical reason for it.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Tigerspike

Oh come now. That doesn't even make sense. How can flimsy paper possibly beat the raw density of stone?