• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 01:01:54 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Make one job look like another?

Started by savantopus, April 19, 2013, 06:34:13 pm

savantopus

Hey all ! Trying to make all my Lancer sprites look like thieves instead. Is there an easy way to do this?
  • Modding version: PSX
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

Jumza

Go into the ShiShi Sprite manager and export the thief and lancer sprites (just in case you want to revert your changes), then go back to the Lancer sprites and import the thief ones! This will make your Lancers look like normal Lancers in the job/formation screens unless you change that as well.

You could also change the skillsets tied to the jobs using the FFTPatcher (I don't think this will cause glitches, but don't quote me on this) so that Thieves have Jump and Lancers have Steal. This one would be much easier to do.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

savantopus

April 19, 2013, 07:43:23 pm #2 Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:55:31 pm by savantopus
I'll try these! Jumza you've saved me so many times!!

[edit] The jump skillset has problems adding other skills but not when you change it to another Job??

[edit] Also is it possible to overwrite special characters with generic sprites so that I can get more jobs/sprites on the field? For example, give characters like Algus and Delia generic sprites? The 9 sprite limit is blocking me from having more diverse jobs on the field...

Jumza

Yup, Jump can't have non-jump skills in it (without a little messing around with it) but you should be able to tag it on whatever you want!

Giving Algus and Delita generic sprites could still potentially put you over the limit. say algus was a chemist and delita was a priest, they would still count as they're own sprite if no one else on the field had the same sprite.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

savantopus

Thats ok I don't mind... because they are taking up a whole slot by themselves. If Algus looks like a chemist and Delita looks like a chemist and the enemy has two chemist, I would be using up only one available sprite slot for 4 units, correct? Whereas now they use 3...

Jumza

That is correct. You could reduce the number of allies you can bring to battle if you want more diverse enemies, or you could reduce the number of enemies if you want to add more team mates. Also, you can give enemies with different jobs the same sprite (as long as they don't join your party, because they'd get all messed up) to save space, but be careful with that last one because it can cause many errors.

savantopus

ok so I tried putting Jump into the Theif job skillset but when the player's action menu appears the Jump action is greyed out!

Jumza

Not exactly what I meant. Go into FFTPatcher and go to jobs, then find the theif job and on the top there is a bar telling you what skillset that job is using. Replace Steal with Jump, don't put Jump skills in Steal because that won't work.

savantopus

April 20, 2013, 08:59:08 pm #8 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:13:15 pm by savantopus
Ya I know what you mean, I put the Jump skillset in the Theif's pull-down job skillset, I didn't switch all the steal and jump abilities.

Ok it was working temporarily then I changed something and now its not working again :( and I changed all the setting back the way they were and now Jump is greyed out again wtf

About the sprites, when I change sprites they load correctly in game but not at the Formation Job selection menu when you're changing jobs? Fix for this?

In the Shishi what does Import BMP stand for?

Thanks for your help Jumza!!

Jumza

I honestly can't tell what your problem is with putting Jump on the Thief job. I'm sorry :(

To change sprites in the formation screen you need a program called FFTEVGRP which can be found in the tools section of downloads.

Import BMP stands for Import Bitmap, and Bitmap is just one of two file types that sprites can be (spr. and bmp.) BMP is the one that can be edited using paint or graphics gale or gimp.

savantopus

Ok right on! I found a tutorial by Celdia explained everything perfectly. Here's the link if anyone else reads this http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6702.0

Jumza, is there a way to have special character sprites like Ramza and Delita change to whatever job they are, instead of always using the same sprite? Or can you point me to a link which may describe how to do this for me? Thanks! :D

Jumza

I actually don't know...
When you have a unit, it's Job ID and Sprite ID should match, otherwise you can find some unfortunate bugs popping up. You could change the settings so that Delita is set to a generic sprite, but I don't know which one it would turn his base job into, and i don't know if it would also change when you switch to other jobs.
Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction.