• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

First {and probably only} Sprite

Started by thechancellor, December 05, 2010, 05:39:08 pm

thechancellor

This is a simple recolored frankensprite. Wiegraf's head with brown hair, and Zalbag's body with colors influenced from Dycedarg's Robe. The sprite is fully functional in-game with only minor graphical tweaks to be made. They're hardly noticeable though. I hope it's a contribution worthy of being submitted. Let me know if you guys like it. His name is Oswyn.
Don't really have anything witty or interesting to put here...

Cheetah

Nice frankensprite. Great color choice. Change up the portrait a little to make it a bit more original.
Current Projects:

mav

Wowzers, I freaking like the way this thing looks. A lot. Beautiful color choices. I second Cheetah's suggestion to change up the portrait. All he really needs is a different hair style and set of eyes and he'll look brand new. Great work, first timer, I suggest doing a couple more sprites, cause this turned out pretty dang nice.

GeneralStrife

thechancellor

Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought of making something more original with the portrait, but to be honest, I got lazy. This sprite will be my main character for the project I'm taking on, so I have very little concern with regards to originality as I won't be using this sprite in a FFT game. If someone wanted to work on the portrait and repost, that would be awesome. I might consider making some changes tomorrow morning if the motivation kicks back in.

mav

Here's a quick headswap for the portrait. I made this head for a different custom character, but that sprite was never completed nor was this head used. You can have it, if you want. I didn't reduce the colors yet though.
[attachment=0:33c4oos5]grimoutline.png[/attachment:33c4oos5]

GeneralStrife

that's badass mav, where did that come from

thechancellor

Wow, what a coincidence. I was actually considering using that portrait, but couldn't recall who made it so that I could get permission. That's the Baron Grims portrait, if I'm not mistaken. That was a promising sprite dude, you sure you didn't want to finish it?

mav

I just do portraits, I can't recall who was working on the sprite. I'm sure he had his reasons not to complete it though.

It's a semi-custom creation, GeneralStrife, based on Vormav, Izlude, and Gustav, I think. Feel free to use it, Chancellor.

thechancellor

Well, after neglecting the topic I'm back to actually finish the job. I totally forgot that mav had put up a portrait for me to use. One problem though. I've made the swap in Graphics Gale and the image looks fine. All I did was change the portrait color pallette row. The thing is, when I import it into ShiShi, the colors look all distorted. It doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully someone can help me out and explain what I'm doing wrong. I had no issue creating and tweaking the portrait before. Now all of a sudden I'm having problems using the same exact method I used to create the frankensprite in the first place. Is there something I'm missing here? Why would the colors show differently in shishi than what Graphics Gale shows?

Kagebunji

January 15, 2011, 05:07:39 pm #10 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:10:34 pm by Kagebunji
After checking it out, I see that the portrait shares colors with sprites. I shall create a new BMP for you that will work, gimme some time.

Bah, I know the reason now. The portrait is way over 16 colors. Ask Mav to drop these colors, or do it yourself. Tbh, this sprite is pretty nice for a frankensprite.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

mav

January 15, 2011, 05:41:38 pm #11 Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:47:49 pm by mav
Yeah, I should have given you a 16 color version a long time ago. See the attachment for the game-ready version. By the way, I might fiddle with giving him the darker hair and skin, like on thechancellor's original portrait. Expect an update in a bit.

EDIT: And there it is.

Kagebunji

Lookin great. I want to see this done and finished, hehe.

thechancellor

Done. This has been tested in game and I've analyzed every animation in ShiShi. Gonna post this in the submission section. Thanks for your help guys.

Kagebunji

It is such a simple sprite, but I like it a lot. Don't end spriting on this one sprite. I am sure you could do more than this.

Btw, Mav, get yourself an avatar dammit! :D

thechancellor

I just like the colors a lot. And Zalbag's outfit is sick. I've always liked it since the first time I played FFT. I'm no spriter by any stretch of the imagination, so for me to continue any kind of work on this would probably just ruin it. lol.

mav

Honestly, man, this is one of the best recolors I've ever seen. Even simple edits are worthwhile. I'm glad you used the darker-haired portrait, by the way, it looks much less generic.

And Kage, how can I get myself an avatar when you guys keep using my custom portraits?! :P

Kagebunji

Twinees

January 17, 2011, 04:42:40 am #18 Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:43:01 am by twinees
Quote from: mav on January 16, 2011, 11:53:54 pm
And Kage, how can I get myself an avatar when you guys keep using my custom portraits?! :P

Its because your ports are awesome mav, thats why everyone wants to use them ;)
Do a secret portrait, then upload as your avatar, noone likes to have the same avatar as someone else :P
  • Modding version: PSX

mav

Keep the Moogle, Kage--you created the sprite, after all. Hah, secret portraits. I'll stick with Llyud for now.

Anyways, Chancellor I definitely suggest that you consider creating another sprite or palette. This really did turn out well. A good eye and a steady hand are a terrible thing to waste.