• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:37:00 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

ASM to allow additional non-katana skills in Draw Out skillset to function

Started by Sardek, January 02, 2023, 10:42:29 pm

Sardek

I was using patcher to set up a personal arena edit and when I gave Samurai Stasis Sword, the AI refuses to use it. The enemy is not absorb/weaken Holy (which the BMG says will cause the AI to not use Holy Sword abilities). It is the highest damage ability (and in fact the only ability learned) that character has. It's equipped via a secondary, so it's not the issue where having no secondary equipped prevents a character from using abilities of its primary job (it's an 8 year old 1.3 arena ROM I started with).

My first attempts to fix it involved unchecking "requires sword" in case that got repurposed for something else in arena. After that, I verified "AI Uses" and the various AI flag checkboxes were correct. They were. I double checked that the unit was actually wielding a sword (and a knight sword. Tried both). Once none of that worked, I downloaded the most recent Arena ppf from here and applied my patcher .fftpatch on top of that. Ignoring the many text and spriting issues that created, the unit still refused to use the skills (which I verified were still learned). Then I remembered that Draw Out is hardcoded like Charge and Throw are.

I've already done several relatively simple asm patches on my base tournament ROM (chests no longer drop, only crystals; some formula edits; orgASM prepackaged "can give negative stats to equipment"), so I understand what I'm doing at least to that level, and I already wrote a python script to take in blocks of hex and convert it to the asm commands so I can at least read what commands are being processed if the wiki doesn't have that area mapped. I know that some skills like Jump and Math have been forcibly unhardcoded, so the process to do that has to be known. Where can I find some info to help me out with this?
  • Modding version: PSX

Orkney

Draw out skills are pretty well hardcoded. There is a strong relation between Katana ID and Ability ID and the number of abilities matches the number of katanas (this number is hard coded too).

It's checked several time in the code. So not a simple hack. I'm not sure this hack exists, if it does, i don't think it is released. Ask on discord. Celia had some interest in extending the number of katanas a couple months ago.

In THIS POST it seems that every ability added to draw out turns in a AoE 3 inflict regen result. That might be the reason the AI do not use it.

• Modding version: PSX