• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:07:58 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[Old] Removing randomization from levelups! [Finished]

Started by Wizu, November 03, 2011, 08:36:27 pm

Wizu

Quote from: Wizu on November 04, 2011, 07:05:03 pm
After much mucking around and trying various tools and different things for the job I am still unable to make this little ASM of mine to work with pSXfin emulator, but luckily some clever brain using and other assorted helpful things allowed me to come up with a solution to make it work flawlessly for ePSXe 1.7.0 emulator!

So without further ado, working .xml to use with FFTorgASM to patch Final Fantasy Plus to have no randomization whatsoever in the levelup process. Be warned - this does make the game a bit harder.

And someone whos wiser than me could even maybe get it to work with pSXfin! ^.^

Godspeed, Wizu signing out.

Basicly what this does is by using all the nifty tools Raven has given for the community I have taken out the variance in levelups and made everything get max rolls to HP and MP per levelup, and in monster cases to PA and MA also.

To my knowledge this should work with every version/modification of FFT, just with ePSXe emulator.

Remember, ultimately gender differences and stat growths still have most effect to stats, but atleast with this ASM you'll be pleasantly surprised if you ever use monsters... or horrified if you ever face monsters! In some level 99 monsters the difference can be 200~ish hp easily. Also, the reason I made this was for the OCD people like me, now you'll never need to reset just to get that extra point in hp from rolling high in levelup... ^.^

Sadly a new game is required, this doesnt affect creatures already in your party.

Dome

November 04, 2011, 02:57:39 am #1 Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:58:16 am by Dome
Stat growths are the same, but every unit can have a different "Starting value"
So, even with fixed growths, same units can get slightly different HP, MP, PA and MA
I'd like to change this, but I don't know how

P.s: And remember, by default females have more MA and MP and males more HP and PA

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Dome on November 04, 2011, 02:57:39 am
Stat growths are the same, but every unit can have a different "Starting value"
So, even with fixed growths, same units can get slightly different HP, MP, PA and MA
I'd like to change this, but I don't know how

P.s: And remember, by default females have more MA and MP and males more HP and PA

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7271.0

Wizu

November 04, 2011, 08:22:21 am #3 Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:23:39 am by Wizu
Alright, so it seems I got a few things wrong in my initial assumptions! Now wiser and armed with simply a TON of different editors and things mostly supplied by Raven I am ready to tackle this problem - is there a way to eliminate the randomization? And if yes, is it as simple as using the Skill and Character Worksheet to change generic male and female stats by making Pre-Raw Hp Variance for HP and MP both 0? Or does that simply mean that the first level random bonus is nullified?

Or is there a way to patch out the games "seed" for HP and MP to be a fixed variable, for all characters/monsters/enemies/bosses to have max possible hp per level? Would this create problems? (Other than luzly amount of hp for some endgame bosses; I am completely fine with that! =P)

With lvlSim I noticed the game seems to assign a random seed to MP and HP but all the other stats have the same seed - thus even if my newbie hacking fails and I cant patch it out I can atleast live in the comfort of knowing that in FFT+ only HP and MP are variable - Speed, MA and PA are all thankfully independant from any kind of randomization and instead influenced by class/gender multipliers only. ^.^

RavenOfRazgriz

November 04, 2011, 08:38:19 am #4 Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:40:45 am by RavenOfRazgriz
You use the Pre-Raw Stat Editor, set the Variance to 0, and this eliminates the Variance on HP/MP/whatever on your Ramza/Male/Female/Monster when it is spawned at the Soldier Office or in the ENTD.  This is actually the only time random variance is applied to units.  Growths are 100% deterministic, but they use the unit's Raw Stat as part of the formula, so a unit with a higher base HP will get more HP on a high HP Growth than one whose Raw HP is lower to start with.  This is why you don't see randomization in human PA/MA/SPD.  Their base Variance is 0, so you always spawn with the same Pre-Raw Stat, so deterministic Growths mean you always get the same final value if you level in the same class from 1-99.

Basically, set all the Variance to 0, go spawn some people/monsters, their stats will always be the same.  The units you already have will still maintain their current stats, though, since their Raw Stats were already determined and heavily modified by Class Growths ages ago.

Wizu

Squeeee!!

You're the best!

This totally fixes my randomization wants, thanks a bunch!

Now onwards to conquer teh world and all that. ^.^

Wizu

November 04, 2011, 10:28:33 am #6 Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:41:57 am by Wizu
Oh, but one question, if I eliminate the randomization, but put the minimum pre-raw hp and mp higher (hp by 2 and mp by 1) doesnt it mean that I effectively got "maxed" hitpoints and mana per level? Just testing this atm in the lvlsim, so I might have my own answer in a moment - but it still begs to be asked and answered if not for me then for future generations who are interested in eliminating the random raw seed and giving max hp per level to their units.

Theres a whole subculture in games all kinds of D&D-like where max hitpoints per levelup is mandatory, afterall! =P

Edit: After some testing it truly seems that raising the minimum pre-raw hp and mp by the amount of of the randomization and take the variance away you can completely eliminate the random factor in hp/mp and end up with maximum hp/mp per level. This should also work on monster PA and MA also. And now, I have become a FFT hacking guru and shall proceed to produce a patch for those who want these little modifications for their FFT+ experience!

*Cough.* Just gimme an hour or so.

... or more...

... this might take a while. >.>

Wizu

After much mucking around and trying various tools and different things for the job I am still unable to make this little ASM of mine to work with pSXfin emulator, but luckily some clever brain using and other assorted helpful things allowed me to come up with a solution to make it work flawlessly for ePSXe 1.7.0 emulator!

So without further ado, working .xml to use with FFTorgASM to patch Final Fantasy Plus to have no randomization whatsoever in the levelup process. Be warned - this does make the game a bit harder.

And someone whos wiser than me could even maybe get it to work with pSXfin! ^.^

Godspeed, Wizu signing out.

Dome

It is tested? It works? Because I might implement it in the next official FFT: Plus release if it does

Dome

November 05, 2011, 05:29:30 am #10 Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:31:25 am by Dome
Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on November 05, 2011, 05:27:35 am
If this only works on ePSXe, you broke it somehow when you did it.

Yes Dome, it works so long as you do it properly, it's a basic hex edit.

I was not "Doubting" of your spreadsheet, I was asking if that specific .Xlm Wizu posted works properly and has already been tested

P.s:
@Wizu: FFT: Plus does not work properly on other emulators because of some ASM I used, so don't worry

RavenOfRazgriz

I was talking to Wizu there when it came to it not working on other emulators.

Sounds like it's just the mod and not him fucking it up when he applied it, then.  Just follow the instructions and it'll work fine, it should be pretty clear.  If you apply anything involving edits on the Soldier Office, you'll need to set the headgear to Leather Hat properly, I messed up the hex and set it to Diamond Helmet by accident.  That's EXACTLY what you want people coming with from the Soldier Office, clearly.  It should all be separate from Pre-Raw Stats, just noting it in case you want to edit that stuff too.

Wizu

Yep, my xml has been extensiuvely tested by me on all level ranges in Plus and now in 1.3 too, it works!

And it doesnt touch the starting equips, just the pre-raw thingies removing the randomization from levels.

Go ahead and add it to the next official version, speaking of which... were all eagerly awaiting for it!

Citizens demand 1.01b! ^.^

Dome

xD
I still need to implement a few more things before releasing 1.01b...and I don't want to release a huge amount of updates in a short period of time (Unless if it's required to fix some horrid bugs, like 1.01a did)