• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:07:35 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Calculator class - what should I do with it?

Started by scorpiova, March 26, 2017, 02:02:59 am

scorpiova

Hey guys,

Sorry for asking so many questions here lately. But I am really nose deep in this now and I am enjoying it lol.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the Calculator class. I am altering the majority of the classes - but I am not quite understanding how to change the calculator into something interesting.

Can I make the calculator act like a normal job? Or will it always act like the calculator? I have tried setting the action menu to nothing but that did not seem to work. Adding new skills to the class just made the skill set grey out in combat. Is there any way to make it into a different kind of class?

Would simply changing the skills in that skill set into something different make the the class act more normally? Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Or if not, what have people done with it to make it unique/interesting?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Angel

It really depends on school of thought. TASing FFT is what brought me here, and it quickly became apparent that fastest result was solo Ramza Calculator. It is MASSIVELY OP. But if all you do is restrict it, it goes from ludicrously OP to useless, so if you don't want to retain its fecking insane usefulness in the hands of either player or AI, it's better to just kill the job off. Calculator is so difficult to balance that you really do have to choose between obscenely overpowered and laughably useless. There really is no in-between.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

To normalize the Calculator job, you need to:
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

scorpiova

Quote from: Xifanie on March 26, 2017, 08:42:30 am
To normalize the Calculator job, you need to:

Very interesting - so if I apply your skillset behavior hack to the Calculator or the Archer or one of the others that have a specific set of skills - once normalized - can I then add other skills/spells to them to use and learn? Can I give the Calculator a skillset a variety of spells and then they would be able to cast spells just like the black or white mage? Or does it become an empty skillset like with the mime, not able to learn skills?

Emmy

You can give any skills you want to it, and they become normal skills just like any other set. 

Also if you want to normalize Archer, you need both Xifanie's Skillset Behavior hack and this one.  Otherwise characters will cancel their own spells if they move.

<Patch name="Silly hardcoding removal, related to skillset 08">
    <Description>If you use skillset 08 (charge) for anything other than charge, you want to use this hack.  This eliminates the hardcoding that causes characters to cancel their own spells by moving.</Description>
    <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="1191a0">
FFFF0234
    </Location>
  </Patch>

scorpiova

Quote from: Emmy on March 26, 2017, 11:57:19 am
You can give any skills you want to it, and they become normal skills just like any other set. 

Also if you want to normalize Archer, you need both Xifanie's Skillset Behavior hack and this one.  Otherwise characters will cancel their own spells if they move.

<Description>If you use skillset 08 (charge) for anything other than charge, you want to use this hack.  This eliminates the hardcoding that causes characters to cancel their own spells by moving.</Description>
FFFF0234
    </Location>
  </Patch>

Cool thank you. Ultimately this is what I've bee n trying to achieve. To put my own custom classes in the game by replacing existing class. Exciting.

scorpiova

March 26, 2017, 03:55:52 pm #6 Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:08:57 pm by scorpiova
Quote from: Emmy on March 26, 2017, 11:57:19 am

FFFF0234
    </Location>
  </Patch>

Hmm - this might be all over my head. I tried applying the patches for Skillset Behavior, The Silly Hardcoding, and Math skill Slowdown. I am testing out several skills on the chemist job - but unfortunately every character (squire and chemist) can't attack now. Instead when I select attack it just bounces back to the attack menu, all I can do is move and end my turn.

So I'm not sure how I shagged it up LOL.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I had copied one of the codes wrong. Thanks for the help everyone!