• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:06:36 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Let's try to fix WotL's slowdown! Now with real progress.

Started by endrift, February 12, 2012, 07:46:57 pm

Eternal

They go above the ID limit of the Patcher or something.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Pickle Girl Fanboy

There's only room for 255 items in PS1 FFT, but there are room for more than 255 in PSP FFT.  There literally isn't enough room, unless you feel like expanding everything that uses items to be two bytes instead of one.

SE has the source code, so they could do this with a bit of hassle, I assume.  Doing it with ASM is, well, take a guess.

Dome

SE is just a bunch of assholes, they had the opportunity to make an awesome game and they made an awesome shit instead

Unbalanced as hell, slowdown, crappy script
BUT EHI; THEY GAVE US ONION KNIGHT AND DARK KNOGHT! WOWOW

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

endrift

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Mega_Tyrant

Great work! I did a couple test runs of the opening battle and left the feedback on the other thread.
RAWR!

endrift

I was hoping to add resource patching capabilities to LivePatch to allow mod creators to easily make mods for WotL, and maybe some smaller other things, but as far as FFT itself goes, this was my goal. So I guess I move onto the next unrelated project?

endrift

Ok, sure, I'll ask Xif for an account on the Wiki.

Oh right, I forgot to mention, I might do more work on FFTA hacking as I know Darth really wants me to, but I doubt I'll do that much.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

I can't really think of anything I want, but I'm sure that someone here will request that you figure out how to expand the item/ability/job class tables in PS1 FFT, so WOTL items can be added.  I don't particularly care about that, because I already have most of what I want, which is an expanded item attribute table, courtesy of Pokeytax.  Though I wish it had previewability.

Anywho, as long as your notes are added to the wiki, in some way, shape, or form, I'm happy.

Dominic NY18

Quote from: Archaemic on February 24, 2012, 04:21:11 pm
I've heard that rumor. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends who also have a copy of this game, so I can't test it out.

...although, I DO have two PSPs, and the game is downloadable on PSN these days.

I've some ripped ISOs of the game somewhere on my laptop and three PSPs w/custom firmware. I'm interested in finding out if multiplayer was the issue

endrift

Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on March 01, 2012, 05:59:55 pm
Anywho, as long as your notes are added to the wiki, in some way, shape, or form, I'm happy.

http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/War_of_the_Lions
All formatted nicely and everything.

nenelightangel89

Would it be possible to unlock and translate the Sound Novels on PSP? That would make this the definitive version...

Eternal

I think the ASM that unlocks the sound novels can be translated for WotL, so it'd simply be a matter of translating them. I think one or two of them already have been translated for Cheetah, but were never added to Complete.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dahl

Someone at gamefaqs translated the whole thing (seems to be the case) BACK IN '97:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/faqs/3875

... the problem is the quality of the translation ... SPOILER! "Dileeta" kills "Ovaria" D:

Darkholme

Two questions, for anyone who ha tried this out:

- How does the livepatch thing work? (Is there a regular iso patch version of the fix?)
- Does resetting the screen resolution to what it was on PSX allow you to go Full-TV with FuSa like it does with ripped PSX Games?

RavenOfRazgriz

Eternal needs to stop being lazy and just post a slowdown fix PPF.  It literally requires hex editing 3 bytes I had written down when it was found but lost with the rest of my Hard Drive. :|

Darkholme

wow. Hexediting 3 bytes.
That's it?
Yeah. if its that small, once you've found it it's not at all a hard fix to implement.

The slowdown is the main reason people aren't modding the PSP version right?

I can imagine that not having to worry about the filesize limits like you do on the PSX version would make alot of people's projects, alot easier.

Plus, those are some nice voiced cutscenes. And with a decent emulator, you might be able to do PSP-based Multiplayer over the internet (since most of you use emulators for the game instead of consoles).

Unless you plan to run it on a PSX, there's no reason that the PSP version couldn't be used as an excellent starting point, which could offer alot of new functionality.

I don't think the image size on the PSP has to be fixed (I could be wrong), but at the very least, the hardware it's supposed to run on is better. I imagine it would be more doable to add more characters, graphics, and the like.

Alchemist

Okay. This has become extremely problematic for me, and I seem to be running into a Brick Wall at every turn. I've spent the better part of an hour trying to figure this out, and to make the patch work and run effectively, but so far, every attempt has been futile.

I am running the 6.60 B10 Pro Custom Firmware. The Light Patch, not the permanent patch, but I believe that is the least of my worries.

I've followed the step by step instructions in the Youtube Video, but to absolutely no avail. I've scoured every thread so far and have eployed numerous tactics, such as renaming the file "GAME.TXT" to "game" to game.txt" to no avail. I have the Folders "SEPLUGINS" and "livepatch" located on the Root of my Memory Stick, but still nothing.

However, When I run my PSP in Recovery Mode, under plugins, it shows the Plugin listed, but not when I press the Select Button Initially. Which probably means that I'm doing something wrong here. Can anyone help me out at all...?  :(