• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:28:32 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How to best do some small changes

Started by Valens, August 23, 2020, 06:13:18 pm

Valens

August 23, 2020, 06:13:18 pm Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:49:29 pm by Valens
Hi, hello, I've known about this site and FFT hacking as a whole for quite some time now and I'm finally gonna give some edits a try and downloaded the FFTPatcher suite programs. But I have some questions about the best way to do it so I'll lay them out and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I only want to do some smaller things like changing job names and replacing some sprites with the great custom sprites that I've seen here. However I really love most of the changes in wotl, especially the cutscenes and name/text changes, and it's my understanding that it's much more difficult to work with.

So my question is, should I just patch a PSx version and try to fumble my way through that? or can what I want to do be done on WOTL?

*I should note that I do have some experience with other game editors  :wark:
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Valens

Nyzer

Some sprites are hard to replace on WotL because of size limitations, whereas the PSX game can be set to expand in Shishi to allow it.

Changing job names should be doable on both versions, just make sure to not add too much text, because, again, space limitations in each section.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Valens

Yeah the only one I had trouble with were the alternate Cloud versions, which gave me an error no matter which one or even if BMP or SPR was used. The others seem to insert fine but from reading around here, the palette's of them may be messed up or I may have only added the battle sprites and not the formation ones? I couldn't find any option to change palette or formation sprite so that may be the next problem.

Nyzer

In the PSX version you can use the Other Images tab in Shishi. Not sure if it's possible in the PSP. If not, there IS a tool for it... UMDGen?

Valens

I'm not seeing UMDGen in the tools list, is there maybe any link to a particular version or maybe even a thread on how it use it? I searched but couldn't seem to find anything here

Nyzer

Celdia's Formation sprites tutorial might say