• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 08:23:11 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Total Request ASM: All armor replaced by shoes

Started by pokeytax, January 02, 2011, 10:16:01 am

RavenOfRazgriz

Define "limited number of item attributes."

If you mean volume, then that's not bugged me much but more is always better.  I had enough room for what I needed to do though, personally.

If you mean the actual attributes - like not being able to make Shields give MP without hex editing, etc., yes that annoys the fuck out of me, but an ASM hack can't fix that since what's really needed is an update to FFTP.

pokeytax

I mean volume.

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on February 01, 2011, 07:43:30 pm
If you mean the actual attributes - like not being able to make Shields give MP without hex editing, etc., yes that annoys the fuck out of me, but an ASM hack can't fix that since what's really needed is an update to FFTP.

That's interesting, I didn't know you could do that! This hack should remedy that, though.
  • Modding version: PSX

pokeytax

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on February 01, 2011, 08:16:34 pm
How would this hack fix that?  The problem is literally just not having a button on FFTP to push, the code already exists.

Well, it doesn't fix it, so much as reroute the sewage through another big pipe, I guess!

The basic idea of the hack is to add "ability attributes" that work like item attributes, but for equipped R/S/M. They have the functionality of item attributes + HP + MP, as well as multipliers (HP * X%) and decrements (HP - 40). So you could do "Necropotence" for Auto-Undead and appropriate elemental/status mods, or make Hamedo decrease Speed by 5. I figured I might as well make "ability attributes" attachable to items too so you could have the added functionality, along with more item attribute space if you're running short.

philsov

QuoteHow much of a constraint is the limited number of item attributes? Anyone else seriously hampered by this?

No, not really.  I think when I wrote everything up and then tried to input it I came up 2 short and had to trim a bit.  Tragic, I know.

However, the thought of giving item-like functionality to R/S/M... is causing me to salivate on myself.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: pokeytax on February 01, 2011, 08:29:29 pm
Well, it doesn't fix it, so much as reroute the sewage through another big pipe, I guess!

The basic idea of the hack is to add "ability attributes" that work like item attributes, but for equipped R/S/M. They have the functionality of item attributes + HP + MP, as well as multipliers (HP * X%) and decrements (HP - 40). So you could do "Necropotence" for Auto-Undead and appropriate elemental/status mods, or make Hamedo decrease Speed by 5. I figured I might as well make "ability attributes" attachable to items too so you could have the added functionality, along with more item attribute space if you're running short.

This works amazing and great for me as long as you can make it all be not retarded and convoluted.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on February 01, 2011, 07:43:30 pm

Did not know that.  Is our FFTPatcher coder is AWOL?

Vanya

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

pokeytax

Quote from: pokeytax on February 01, 2011, 05:47:22 pm
I'm currently fiddling with a jump from the first 0x64000 bytes. What file is this? "SCUS_942_21"?

Bumping this again because I'm in the testing phase and still fiddling with savestates. I just want to hit 0x5C82C in RAM during formation and battle, is that so much to ask?!?!

pokeytax

Figured out where to put the SCUS code thanks to a note from FDC, now debugging this, which is pretty hellish. Code that breaks when run, but not on stepthrough... maybe I need to account for load delay or something. (EDIT: Yes, that was it... PGF I am gonna eviscerate you for jumbling the order of the item attribute data!! As apology for this stream-of-consciousness garbage hopefully I'll have this released within a couple days, branching from SCUS to either WORLD.BIN or BATTLE.BIN based on the unit ID seems to be working fine.)

pokeytax

Okay, put out the first version of the ALMA hack, which should address a few of these (item attributes, support multipliers, general R/S/M balancing). Check that thread for details.

pokeytax

Now that ALMA can fill in unused ability slots with mildly interesting stuff, I'm going to see which ability slots I can manually disable without much trouble, so they can be reused for something more interesting. Expect a lot of piecemeal posting as I check them off.

Move +1,+2,+3 and Jump +1,+2,+3 to start, but what a drag - the preview is hardcoded and disregards what they actually do. For a cosmetic issue, that thing is sure moving up my list...

AA,BB,CC,DD,EE,FF: The values of byte 93 these are attached to. So these default to 80,40,20,10,08,04. 00 disables.
UU,VV,WW,XX,YY,ZZ: The increase these grant. So these default to 01,02,03,01,02,03.

SCUS_942_21

0x5c910
AA00c230
BB00c230
UU00a524
CC00c230
VV00a524
DD00c230
WW00a524
EE00a524
XX006324
FF00a524
YY006324
ffffa230
ZZ006324

RavenOfRazgriz

February 12, 2011, 04:44:08 pm #92 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:22:21 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
Haha.

I'm going to post that request from the ALMA thread, since it actually ties into what you're doing now perfectly.

Merge Any Weather with Any Ground and Walk on Water with Move Underwater, gut all effects from Secret Hunt, Monster Talk, Throw Item, Maintenance, Monster Skill, Equip Change, Move +2, Move +3, Jump +1, Jump +3, Move-EXP UP, Move-JP UP, Any Ground, Move on Lava, Move Underwater, Silent Walk, and replace Move-EXP UP, Move-JP UP, Any Ground, Move on Lava, Move Underwater with Defend-like commands that call the Action Menus of 06 Item, 11 Elemental, 12 Jump, 13 Draw Out, 14 Throw, with the 06 Item Support Ability coming bundled with the properties of Throw Item.

Obviously, since I only need actual operations performed on Any Weather, Any Ground, Walk on Water, Move Underwater, Move-EXP UP, Move-JP UP, and Move on Lava, the rest can wait, but I have full intentions of giving them new effects and they comprise a full list of Supports and Movements I could see anyone conceivably wanting to null and replace so I figure'd I list all of them.  *shrug*

Even if you can just perform those two mergers, and make those other 5 sets into Action Menu calls, I'll be incredibly delighted as it'll save me from needing to do a ton of bullshit with the Generic Skillset Fix hack to only get a fraction of the functionality.

pokeytax

Setting a value to 00 disables the ability.

Ignore Height attached to value XX on byte 93 (defaults to 02)
BATTLE.BIN
0x10D824
XX004230

Move-HP Up attached to value WW on byte AA (defaults to 01 on 93; may not work with all values of WW)
Move-MP Up, Move-Get Exp, Move-Get JP attached to values XX,YY,ZZ on byte BB (default to 80,40,20 on 94)
BATTLE.BIN
0x119134
AA008290 <--- Move-HP Up byte
BB008490 <--- Move-MP/EXP/JP Up byte
WW004230 <--- Move-HP Up value (??)
XX008230 <--- Move-MP Up value
YY008230 <--- Move-Get Exp value
ZZ008230 <--- Move-Get JP value

Like anyone with spirit, I am interested in cracking open Defend/Equip Change, but gutting the effects from things is much easier so I'm doing that first.

RavenOfRazgriz

February 13, 2011, 01:02:39 pm #94 Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:03:37 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
You should make your explanations regarding the various Move-UP abilities more friendly to people who don't actually assembly edit as they're going to be the primary users of pretty much every assembly hack.  Your current explanation is very technical and doesn't work well for someone who isn't already part of the "in" crowd, if you know what I mean.  

But alright, get to disabling stuff so that it can be nommed.

Cheetah

I just wanted to give a shoutout for the great work that is happening here, keep it up guys.

Oh and if you can make auto-potion only used potions, could you make an additional skill that was auto-high potion?
Current Projects:

pokeytax

I'm going to consolidate and simplify the disabling stuff once it's all done, but that could be a while.

BATTLE_BIN
0x118038
0c00a534

Did this one almost by accident, not very well-tested, but can't hurt to throw it up here.

Quote from: Cheetah on February 13, 2011, 02:56:52 pm
Oh and if you can make auto-potion only used potions, could you make an additional skill that was auto-high potion?

Not supereasily (although you can make Auto-Potion use only Hi-Potions).

RavenOfRazgriz

Does Float status still cause standard Float mechanics in addition to Fly movement?

Does this affect the Movement Float, or just the Status Float?  (I'm kinda interested in using this if it's only the latter, honestly.)

pokeytax

Yes.

Both (only because the Float movement causes Auto-Float).

RavenOfRazgriz

That's annoying then.  I would've liked this for Status-Float if I could've kept Movement-Float the way it normally is.  Hmm.

Guess I'll need to make a choice here.  Nice find regardless.