• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:37:29 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Plans for new sprites, whats everyone working on?

Started by Zozma, April 24, 2008, 08:34:17 pm

Jon

You know, I was thinking R999 sorta screwed everyone on this site. Sorry for posting this here, but he / she / whatever kinda pisses me off. I don't know R personally, I don't even know if it is a he or she or a monster. I thought man, if I wanted to make a patch seriously (which I don't, so don't freak out or anything) I know who I would ask for help, because there are some awesome people on here. But since it seems that R wasted all of your time, I doubt anyone would be willing. If I said "hey Mav, Kage, Zozma, Twinees, Lijj, Jim, Smash, Asmo (good critic) ect ect, (and whoever else wants to help) you wanna help me sprite some stuff for a patch?", I bet half would sorta grumble and maybe help. The other half would probably be like screw it, R wasted my time. I am sorta happy that R was banned. But that doesn't change the situation of decent people on here. I doubt if some serious noob came along with a dream, nobody would help anymore. Maybe/Hopefully I am wrong though.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

Katelyn port it total win, almost makes me want to create some sprite for her. If anyone in interested, check a topic in Archives about "IA 1st month progress", practicly all sprites are there, ofcourse all one frame.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Zozma

Yeah, i don't care what the were originally intended for, but those portraits are so good, and i like that zorine concept, Its just a waste not to make use of this stuff for other things
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

These characters (Zorine and Katelyn) are not from another Final Fantasy game, are they? They don't appear in like FF 14 or something? I have never heard of them. These are good concepts.

GeneralStrife

I skimmed through all the stuff in the IA archive, goddamn, what a waste, all that work.....

mav

Congrats on completing your sprite, Lijj. I was gonna make some suggestions on the the fifth palette, but it's all good. As for the new male sprite (the Onion Knight one). I really don't like the legs. It looks like he's wearing saggy pants. Consider using almost any other set of legs. And be careful with that cape. It's...a hassle, from what I recall. I like the hair, but clean it up a bit, like Cheetah said.

Jon

Oh my G0d! I can't believe all of y'all didn't see it right away! Before I just looked at the sprites, now I have actually read what was posted! Hey, can't you guys tell right away about one of those people who just want the feeling of power? R999 seems to me to be the kind of person who does absolutely nothing, no sprites or work at all, and waits for all of you guys to sprite for him/her. Unbelievable. WTF People?!! Actually working with R! Hey if I write something like:

Kage, you are an excellent spriter. I need your help specifically.
I am making a patch and you have been selected from the many spriters on here, simply because you are the BEST!
You and only a few hand selected have been chosen!

Would you just jump in and do whatever I told you? (Now this isn't meant to be aimed at Kage, its just an example.) I can't believe how many of you were pulled in by this guy's bull shit. Try to develop an attitude a little more similar to Asmo's when people ask you to do anything. Just don't become unfriendly. Think twice. R999 is an internet creep.

Lijj

September 30, 2010, 06:44:59 pm #1567 Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:04:13 pm by Lijj
Hey Mav. If you want to edit that palette go ahead.  Just resubmit it- I have homework to do well (I work from home most the time,)so I can't sprite for a couple days :(
I'm not super into the last palette so do whatever you'd like to it. I'm sure it'll be impressive.

Jon I like that Dark knight portrait more! It's a dark samurai

"R999 is an internet creep."
That last two weeks was hellish for me. I just stopped working after he declined every design I came up with.. I just watched the project crumble while I learned how to make spell effects and other interesting artistic techniques. I got a well paying job right at the final collapse, so that made me care even less- even amused me.
I was duped into supporting that project. After such an investment of time I wanted to see it's end. But it never even got close.. Internet creep indeed fooled me because of my lack of modding knowledge completely. I'm not a gamer or anything.. all this, even chat etc. is still all new to me;He had to show me how to dl a chat program.
 I loved this game when it was new and, still pretty recently, found this page when I was bored. The first week I lurked, I was lost haha (I did play some CoP).
Now I know what goes into making a patch. He made it sound like by the time I finished the sprites the patch would be ready in a total of 1 and 1/2 months. Now I can laugh at that whole situation..
A lolpatch it was
But I'm not mad at R999 even- he's alright.. my lack of knowledge and maybe lack of ego even actually got the best of me. He could have really thought it would all magically workout; maybe his intentions were'nt that bad.  I learned from it so no time is ever wasted
  • Modding version: PSX

Zozma

I didn't take anything negative away from the R999 ordeal, in fact, because of that "project" we have a better method of editing effect files don't we? also, smash made some great portraits and there are sprite concepts that can be used for plenty of other projects!
I also got a boost on working on lady frimelda sprite from him. so I have nothing bad to say personally.

I hope someone will draw more attention to effect files tho, as it still seems to be lacking attention...
Also i am hoping smash completes that gorgeous lucavi sprite as i need one more for my patch. but anyway, I plan to work on some of those abandoned sprites especially zorine and the one that looks like a young version of elmdor

Jon

Wait, both of you guys are talking about "effect files". What are those? Spell effects? You guys made a program that can change spell effects?? Is this for real??? :mrgreen: I would love to change effects in game. I saw the spells on the main page, but I thought those were ripped! I think just changing the colors of spells already would be progress, I would love to see what has already been done. I thought I once read actually something posted by you Z on how you wanted a tidal wave, but I thought that was just a dream or something. Then I forgot about it and haven't thought about spell effects ever since. I guess I missed out on something big here....

@Lijj: Thanks! It was supposed to be an Assassin (my personal favorite unit), but yeah I guess it looks like a Samurai! I think it would have been cool to live in Japan during those times of Samurai and Ninjas...or the medieval ages in Europe...

Lijj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xhKS0Nh ... r_embedded (blood gigasFFXII)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5497(Zoddy's Tomb[E170] and Spartan Imapaler[E171])
Here are a couple spell effects- I like the Spartan one best.. No one else seems to have liked it but a Ghost Spartan comes out of the ground impaling the target. It looks good in game yet it moves faster than I'd like. If I knew hex a little it could be slowed down I think.
(actually don't DL The tombstone one.. I think I messed up on the transparency of it- remember in Timutul to check the transparency box)

Jon

October 01, 2010, 04:12:15 pm #1571 Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:15:28 pm by Jon
Whoa, that blood Gigas summon is cool! It has the same sound effects as Cyclops but the air that gets frozen normally is blue. Wow, this is sweet but seems really hard to do. Is it? I am copying Zodiac's tutorial and will play around with this stuff in some free time. Thanks for the link Lijj! :D

Edit: I wanted to download the TIM utility, but my computer warned me it might be harmful. Is it? If I can't get it, I still think I can change colors of already existing spell effects files, and changing them graphically to something new as well, but someone else would need to insert them...

Lijj

October 01, 2010, 04:14:33 pm #1572 Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:17:42 pm by Lijj
No but the fire texture took just as long(it repeats on the edges perfectly). It's easier than spriting or less work indeed.
Edit:I think I remember that warning.. It's fine I'm sure.

Jon

Can I make an example and you insert it and show me somehow? Like in my edit, can't it harm my computer?

Ran Master

I finished her, took a while to animate everything correctly, but she looks nice over all.
Female Generic Thief Version 1 complete.

IMO, it makes F-Thiefs more... Charming.

Kagebunji

Oooooh, Ramza in Female thief costume, very cute indeed. Is thiis your first sprite, quality is good whatever this sprite is supposed to be. Good job on finishing this nonetheless

Zozma

Ran, do you have a sprite to match your avatar?

Ran Master

Not yet, only the head down, I've used ramza's ch4 as a body temporarily place holder.

Here's a little gif just to show, still haven't got a grasp on the FFT spriting style quite yet.

Jon

I like it, but the portrait still looks a bit too much like Ramza and masculine. Change the eyes and eyebrows to make her look more like a lady, who steals :mrgreen: Are those the the same blond colors on Ramza, btw? You might want to just do a quick swap to generic characters hair color like the female knight or if blond more like the female Monk.

Also, lol as posting it as a gif!

Edit: The hair on both your portrait and on the ch. 4 Ramza edit look very nice! Very Final Fantasy! Is this based on yourself or a made up character or an existing character, Ran?