• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:57:06 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

What I've been trying to say all along

Started by Archael, July 21, 2009, 03:52:31 pm

Archael

Pickle Girl Fanboy

July 21, 2009, 04:55:56 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
I love you.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

July 21, 2009, 04:58:59 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
While being a staunch theist I agree with much of what he says.  I especially think the part about most religious people just following what thier religious "authorities" tell them.  But it's not just the religious that do it.  All of humanity does it.  Many atheists gather behind Richard Dawkins like he's the messiah of reason, but if your read any of his books you'll realize that the man can't string to sentences together without a breakdown of reason.  But people just accept him at his word.  Wether theist, atheist, or agnostic, people need to educate themselves.  We are in the information age, but yet people don't seek out information, they'd rather take someone else's word for it.

Anyway, I wish he wouldn't have put the music over his words so I could hear better.

Archael

July 21, 2009, 05:55:40 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"While being a staunch theist I agree with much of what he says.  I especially think the part about most religious people just following what thier religious "authorities" tell them.  But it's not just the religious that do it.  All of humanity does it.  Many atheists gather behind Richard Dawkins like he's the messiah of reason, but if your read any of his books you'll realize that the man can't string to sentences together without a breakdown of reason.  But people just accept him at his word.  Wether theist, atheist, or agnostic, people need to educate themselves.

I've read 2 RD books, and I fail to see this "breakdown of reason" you're talking about

he makes a lot of good points and they are 100% backed up with reasonable arguments

I don't really think his approach is the right one, though (RD), because his blatant disrespect for the beliefs turns a lot of people off, and no one likes being told they are wrong, especially not in a condescending way

there is a huge problem with the equating you're trying to make here though, and that is that the problems highlighted in the video stem from people gathering behind RELIGION - NOT philosophers, secularists or state / church separatists like RD

the problems with the attitudes and situations mentioned in the video all stem from organized religion, and you simply cannot attribute them to anything else, especially not someone like RD, who actually goes against religion in the first place

QuoteMany atheists gather behind Richard Dawkins like he's the messiah of reason, but if your read any of his books you'll realize that the man can't string to sentences together without a breakdown of reason.  But people just accept him at his word.

Until I see someone killing others (for centuries) and blowing up buildings in the name of Richard Dawkins, (a guy who is trying to fight against the division and problems that religion creates in the first place) your comparison is invalid

QuoteBut it's not just the religious that do it. All of humanity does it

the problem is that religion gives those who lack better judgment a reason and (in their eyes) a justification for their actions - and as mentioned in the video, it has done this MUCH MORE than the good it has propagated

there is no debating the points made in this video, whether you are theist or atheist, the issue brought up is undeniable, and cannot be dismissed with a simple "oh well RD followers have the same sheep mentality as fundamentalist muslims do, so it's OK"

it's not just a "your deity isn't real" issue here, it's more of a "your beliefs are not only false, but they also cause problems for the rest of humanity"

Mental_Gear

July 21, 2009, 06:14:12 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
If I've learned ANYTHING from Playstation Home it's that talking about your faith on the net is a one-way ticket to flameland, so I might as well keep my mouth shut.

Archael

July 21, 2009, 06:17:09 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
from playing FFT you mean, where the church turned out to be a bunch of demons, and the savior was actually possessed by the demon leader

:twisted:

DarthPaul

July 21, 2009, 06:51:43 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
QuoteUntil I see someone killing others (for centuries) and blowing up buildings in the name of Richard Dawkins, (a guy who is trying to fight against the division and problems that religion creates in the first place) your comparison is invalid

His comparison is valid in that he said they follow his words. What would have been invalid would be saying they would kill and die for Richard Dawkins. Unless he meant that, but I don't think he did.

Quotethere is no debating the points made in this video, whether you are theist or atheist, the issue brought up is undeniable, and cannot be dismissed with a simple "oh well RD followers have the same sheep mentality as fundamentalist muslims do, so it's OK"

The sad fact here is people will find a way to dispute it by combining scripture or whatever together and call that an argument. It doesn't work but people will still call him out for his statements. It is only human nature to want to cling to your beliefs till they are shattered beyond a shaodow of a doubt.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

DarthPaul

July 21, 2009, 06:52:45 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Voldemort"from playing FFT you mean, where the church turned out to be a bunch of demons, and the savior was actually possessed by the demon leader

:twisted:

Best plot twist ever imagined.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

July 21, 2009, 11:22:50 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "darthpaul"
QuoteUntil I see someone killing others (for centuries) and blowing up buildings in the name of Richard Dawkins, (a guy who is trying to fight against the division and problems that religion creates in the first place) your comparison is invalid

His comparison is valid in that he said they follow his words. What would have been invalid would be saying they would kill and die for Richard Dawkins. Unless he meant that, but I don't think he did.

This.  My point is that people will mindlessly believe someone without doing thier own research.  This may be because they need a sense of belonging, to advance thier own agenda, or just to justify thier preconceived beliefs.

And Arch, totally my bad, the author I was thinking of was Victor Stenger.  The book that I'm mainly thinking of is God: The Failed Hypothesis. The comment of blind following still applies to RD.

Quotethe problem is that religion gives those who lack better judgment a reason and (in their eyes) a justification for their actions - and as mentioned in the video, it has done this MUCH MORE than the good it has propagated

Do you measure good and bad by tonnage or with a yard stick?

Quotethere is no debating the points made in this video, whether you are theist or atheist, the issue brought up is undeniable, and cannot be dismissed with a simple "oh well RD followers have the same sheep mentality as fundamentalist muslims do, so it's OK"

I didn't debate the points in the video.  I agree that many, many bad things have been done in the name of religion, but my point was that humanity would be a bunch o' dicks with or without religion.  If religion didn't exist, humanity would have found something else to justify thier stupidity.

tithin

July 22, 2009, 02:34:42 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by tithin
Voldemort you are quickly becoming the worst person because you keep banging on about religion and linking to terrible videos about the hypocrisy of religion. Quick piece of advice homey, we're all well aware.
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Hey, Cosgrove, how come you never married?"
14:45  @SilentB         ò "Because I eat too much meat."
14:46  @Celdia          ò Heresy. No such thing as 'too much meat'
14:47  @Celdia          ò One night with tithin would teach you that.

boomkick

July 22, 2009, 02:59:56 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Religion was created for three reasons IMOIMOIMO

1. To control the common people.

2. To create a ideal society.

3. To control the believers of said religion.

I say let anyone who believes religion does make their lives better keep it. I'm not saying it is wrong, but there are some "unreasonable" ideas in religion many of us couldn't solve with any logical/scientific reason.

Kaijyuu

July 22, 2009, 04:27:39 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
What's there to debate? That people manipulate religion for personal gain and/or other stupidity? That's been well known for centuries.

The video doesn't say much more. The main point (above) had one fallacy tacked on: the impossible to prove statistic (religion does more harm than good). Everything else on that topic was on sound logical footing.

The semantics, weak analogies and begging the question were all supporting his justification of his little crusade (see I did one myself).

Also, the pictures and music were distracting. I'm not sure the point of either.
  • Modding version: PSX

Archael

July 22, 2009, 04:46:54 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "tithin"Voldemort you are quickly becoming the worst person because you keep banging on about religion and linking to terrible videos about the hypocrisy of religion. Quick piece of advice homey, we're all well aware.

if you were well aware, you would be beating up xtians irl like me

but clearly you are not

so I will continue to post videos sorry bro

Archael

July 22, 2009, 04:52:00 am #13 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:08:58 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"I didn't debate the points in the video.  I agree that many, many bad things have been done in the name of religion, but my point was that humanity would be a bunch o' dicks with or without religion.

the vid specifically mentions "a world where unreasonable and un-defendable, bigoted positions simply fall to reason and well-being for society"

meaning; it would be alot harder to justify being a "dick" without religion around to cover your ass

this is true even if substitutes for religion were there or not... it's still a very big point against the presence of religion

you don't justify something negative just because other negatives *might* take it's place, you try to get rid of those negatives regardless

QuoteIf religion didn't exist, humanity would have found something else to justify thier stupidity.

this is a pretty big claim, and even if it was true, it still doesn't take away the fact that we'd be better off without the extra scapegoat for stupidity (religion). The fewer of them we have (scapegoats, reasons for stupid and/or evil fucks to hide behind) the better, see above

Xifanie

July 22, 2009, 12:08:40 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
The Atheism revolt is part of the new era. There's no reason to just stand there and wait for things to happen. The more atheists revolts, the faster the new era will come.

Theism should be banned from the surface of earth.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

DarthPaul

July 22, 2009, 12:25:50 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
1. Create your own religion.
2. Spread some nonsense.
3.????
4. Profit.

Mental_Gear

July 22, 2009, 02:24:09 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
I don't have a problem with someone having different beliefs to me - but I DO have a problem with bigotry as displayed by Zodiac's last post.

SilvasRuin

July 22, 2009, 03:06:59 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Quote from: "darthpaul"1. Create your own religion.
2. Spread some nonsense.
3.????
4. Profit.

And for proof that this works, look up the shenanigans of  L. Ron Hubbard.

DarthPaul

July 22, 2009, 03:09:12 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I don't have a problem with Zodiac's bigotry because theism will be gone in a century or two.

I don't think it will be banned either, just people will come to realize that creationism just sounds to hooky.

This is just a speculative theory mind you.

Also if there is a god then we were wrong who cares. I cannot believe in a benevolent god existing in the same realm as hell.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

July 22, 2009, 04:13:45 pm #19 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:32:54 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Quote from: "darthpaul"I don't think it will be banned either, just people will come to realize that creationism just sounds to hooky.
"Nothing asploded and made the universe" sounds just as hooky as "someone made nothing asplode and made the universe".

QuoteAlso if there is a St. Ajora then we were wrong who cares. I cannot believe in a benevolent St. Ajora existing in the same realm as hell.
Just what exactly is your perception of hell?  I'm always curious about what people think hell is.  I always think it's wierd when people think it's where the devil lives or something like that.  People have strange thoughts on heaven, too, like humans becoming angels when they die or stuff like that.

Quote from: "Arch"you don't justify something negative just because other negatives *might* take it's place
Have I tried to justify anything?  I don't think I have.  I'm pretty sure I've just said that humanity will do bad things, and it's not contingent upon the presence of religion.  In fact, I've agreed that people use religion to be dicks.  I am saying that humanity's malevolence is rooted in humanity, not religion.  And if you believe religion was created by man, then you should agree.  Because then religion is just a branch off of the ole' humanity tree.