• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 11, 2024, 06:01:02 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Need: 1 Win7 Boot Disk.

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, June 17, 2011, 01:01:09 am

RavenOfRazgriz

How does a poor ass like me get one? My laptop became spontaneously fucked and I can't even safe Mode or factory reset it. It just hangs at the point anything related to Windows 7 should be booting up. What research I was able to do all points to me needing a boot disk or something which I have no clue how to get unless I get lucky enough to be able to burn one. Any fingers pointing me the right direction or giving me a good alternate solution are much appreciated. Sorry if post looks like unformatted shit, posting from a crappy old ass cell phone.

st4rw4k3r

June 17, 2011, 01:10:41 am #1 Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:14:55 am by st4rw4k3r
Well, do you have any other computer you can bittorrent/burn a disc on?
If no, I think you might be out of luck. Unless the public library supports piracy.

Depending on how screwed up you laptop is, I say give me a step by step of what your computer is doing.

Or, another good idea. Get a Linux distributions, or windoze. Just to Bittorrent a win7.

Getting a Linux Distro would be easy, find a small free one and just torrent it.
I think the smallest was DSL (Damn Small Linux)
its 50mb
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
You'll just need a usb stick/cd?, and a computer to put it on the usb stick.

So its either, you explain the computer problem/record it and I might be able to help.
Or get DSL

NinjaWeazel

alternately most laptop manufacturers have a hidden partition on their HDD that will function as a boot disc.  Gotta call them and see how to access it though.  Mine was 'pull out the battery and hold down a certain key while turning the computer on' for example.

Celdia

Failing that, just tell me what you want burned to a disc and PM me your address and I'll make it and mail it to you. Can't be that expensive from here to there.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

st4rw4k3r

Also, I got word your laptop has been giving you trouble for a while now.
I say throw Linux on it.
Ubuntu is the most user friendly Linux out there.

Linux is very light weight (depending on the distro) and can run everything windoze can and more.
I find some of the biggest problems people have with Linux is it not running windoze crap, you can get WINE and other programs that run windozes programs.

For an old, glued up, zombie computer, Linux is the best to run on it.

RavenOfRazgriz

@ST4R: I literally did describe exactly what it's doing. Turn on, reach where Win7 should be booting, instead get a hang and a black screen. I also cannot view your links on this phone. When I say crappy. I mean notepad with an Internet setup made out of duct tape crappy. @Weazel: I may need to try that. I'm running an emachines E525 laptop according to the shiny stickers, if anyone knows the super secret cheat code offhand or wants to bother finding it. @Celdia: I may take you up on that if all else fails. Need to see how tomorrow plays out though.

Celdia

June 17, 2011, 01:51:59 am #6 Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:55:50 am by Celdia
Only thing I'm finding for E525 eMachines is "Hit F11 during boot" to access a recovery mode partition. Give that a shot I guess.

Edit: Scratch that. Found this too:

Select models have the ability to have the operating system reinstalled from a hidden drive built into the computer. To start the system recovery:

1. Restart the computer
  2. When the eMachines logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
  3. When prompted with a boot screen, hit the Enter key.
  4. After the system recovery program has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.

2nd Edit: And if THAT doesn't work I'm downloading an eMachine recovery disc ISO that I will burn for you if need be.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

RavenOfRazgriz

The problem has been resolved.  I needed to go into the Command Line via a Windows 7 Repair Disc rebuild my Master Boot Record, if anyone's curious.

Thanks all, especially Celdia for getting me the Disc.