• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:45:30 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Equipment Positions

Started by Myrmidon, July 05, 2013, 12:02:35 pm

Myrmidon

ok, I know that you can't change, say, an accessory into a weapon, because it'd be hard-coded to be a Knightsword that goes on your ring finger at that point...

...what about Balls and Shurikens, which don't go anywhere?  can I safely mod one/both of them into a weapon/armour/whatever?

can I mod Sheilds into weapons, since they're hard-coded for "hands"?

also also: can I change a Sheild into a Cloak so I can give things like mages something to have in their off-hand (a-la FF1's Procape)?

Celdia

For using balls as weapons or armor you won't be able to equip them because they show up in the usable items list when you're in your formation menu and not in the Hands list. I recall using those for items to be force-equipped on AI units that used Maintenance and were Immortal flagged so the player couldn't get unequippable items off them.

As for shields into weapons...I think you can if you know what data to change specifically using something other than FFTP to do it since it only displays their values for P. and M. Evade. I don't know exactly what you need to modify for that though since I never did it myself. Kind of sure it works though. I'm sure someone else would know with more certainty than I do.

And I recall I tried to do something like the last bit but in reverse; I tried to make a shield that read as a bracelet since I wasn't using bracelet type anymore. It would equip fine using the bracelet flag as the class item-type restriction per job and it would display the evasion value when in the equip preview, but I don't recall if the evasion value displayed in Accessory or Shield but it didn't matter in the long run because it never actually applied any bonus from the item.

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Myrmidon

interesting...

I was thinking Cloaks/Sheilds because, well, Procape, and also something along the lines of "Sheilds focus on Evade, Cloaks focus on M.Evade" sort of thing.  Of course, now that I'm thinking on it, I'd have to sprite up a Cloak Evade sprite, wouldn't I? hmm...

Myrmidon

more relevant questions:

Is the base range for weapons hard-coded?

can I change a Sword into a Book for the sake of keeping everything nice and organized in my list, or should I be changing Instruments out since their base range is 3 as well?

Also, is it's not hard coded, how would I go about changing the Crossbow's range from 3-4 to 3-5, like how FFT Rebirth has it done?  Would that be ASM hacking, then?