• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:59:55 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA: Revisited 2.0 Beta

Started by rrs_kai, September 21, 2014, 02:20:39 pm

Ceres Rose

I can also confirm that dual cast + double shot wind up bugging out together, but I think I know what the issue is. It seems that double shot is taking 20 MP per attack, so if you are dual wielding with it, the first cast takes 80 mp, and then the second cast for me the animation for the 1st attack plays, then it suddenly cuts off and my character is missing 100 MP (with 16 leftover, insufficient to do the next hit). So it seems like there's some kind of failsafe tripping that's ending the attack early because each hit is consuming MP and there's insufficient MP to complete the attack. If it does wind up sticking around, it may be good to lower its MP cost from 20 so it doesn't wind up being 40/80 per cast with single/dual wielding (and then 80/160 for dual cast!).

Similarly I've run into powershot having abysmal accuracy for allies, so it seems like maybe something in there was reversed.

I've really enjoyed playing through your mod though, so don't let this be seen as negative in the slightest. It's done a lot to make exploring this game again with all the new/changed stuff a blast. Thank you very much for all your work!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

rrs_kai

Quote from: Ceres Rose on November 04, 2022, 07:24:38 pmI can also confirm that dual cast + double shot wind up bugging out together, but I think I know what the issue is. It seems that double shot is taking 20 MP per attack, so if you are dual wielding with it, the first cast takes 80 mp, and then the second cast for me the animation for the 1st attack plays, then it suddenly cuts off and my character is missing 100 MP (with 16 leftover, insufficient to do the next hit). So it seems like there's some kind of failsafe tripping that's ending the attack early because each hit is consuming MP and there's insufficient MP to complete the attack. If it does wind up sticking around, it may be good to lower its MP cost from 20 so it doesn't wind up being 40/80 per cast with single/dual wielding (and then 80/160 for dual cast!).

Similarly I've run into powershot having abysmal accuracy for allies, so it seems like maybe something in there was reversed.
Thanks for finding this. I get it now, I was testing it on end-game units with good MP and it always worked fine.

Quote from: Ceres Rose on November 04, 2022, 07:24:38 pmI've really enjoyed playing through your mod though, so don't let this be seen as negative in the slightest. It's done a lot to make exploring this game again with all the new/changed stuff a blast. Thank you very much for all your work!
Glad you had fun, and thanks for the feedback.

Diplomack

March 01, 2023, 09:18:14 am #162 Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 12:04:27 pm by Diplomack
Thank you so much for making and sharing this hack, Kai! It's an amazing balance of improvement without changing too much from the original game.

One question, though. In the GoogleDoc changelog your 2.01 notes say you buffed monsters because you forgot to re-buff them, but the version in this forum is 2.0. Does this current version still have those nerfed monsters? Just curious if a new game would feel too easy as it is now.

Thanks for being such a champion in this community!

EDIT: I've been playing the hack for about 50 hours now, and it is AMAZING. (The monsters seem plenty tough lol.) But seriously, I love it. Story missions require a serious amount of strategy and can't just have any old in-progress clan member thrown in. There are some strategies that seem stronger than others (Illusionists, double sword with incredible weapons), but honestly the AI uses those strategies right back at you; plus if they have certain means available to them, they will use them and they will make your life hell (a doublecast Red Mage one-turn-killed my whole team until I managed to provoke it; a clan that had three units to auto-raise and did NOT hesitate to use them lol), which I honestly love. The game is tough in a great way.

The only problem I've run into is the occasional crash, maybe four times or so. Twice trying to use items mid-combat, once in the shop, once in combat. And now I just save slightly more often (my emulator, Delta, has an incredibly easy save state system), and it's really no problem at all.

This hack is amazing. rrs_kai, you are amazing. I love you. Thank you for putting love into one of my favorite childhood games and making it a great time to revisit!

rrs_kai

Quote from: Diplomack on March 01, 2023, 09:18:14 amEDIT: I've been playing the hack for about 50 hours now, and it is AMAZING. (The monsters seem plenty tough lol.) But seriously, I love it. Story missions require a serious amount of strategy and can't just have any old in-progress clan member thrown in. There are some strategies that seem stronger than others (Illusionists, double sword with incredible weapons), but honestly the AI uses those strategies right back at you; plus if they have certain means available to them, they will use them and they will make your life hell (a doublecast Red Mage one-turn-killed my whole team until I managed to provoke it; a clan that had three units to auto-raise and did NOT hesitate to use them lol), which I honestly love. The game is tough in a great way.
Glad you're enjoying it. If anything sticks out too much, please let me know.

Quote from: Diplomack on March 01, 2023, 09:18:14 amThe only problem I've run into is the occasional crash, maybe four times or so. Twice trying to use items mid-combat, once in the shop, once in combat. And now I just save slightly more often (my emulator, Delta, has an incredibly easy save state system), and it's really no problem at all.
People have reported items causing issues and I don't know how to solve them. I use mGBA for PC and have not had this issue. Good to see that you're moving forward and are not stuck.

Quote from: Diplomack on March 01, 2023, 09:18:14 amThis hack is amazing. rrs_kai, you are amazing. I love you. Thank you for putting love into one of my favorite childhood games and making it a great time to revisit!
Thank you very much for the kind words and your feedback.

Diplomack

Quote from: Stevemcblark on July 03, 2022, 05:18:06 amSo uh...I got a very unfortunate glitch that unfortunately has brought my run to an end. I beat the final boss, got the mission cleared screen, and then...nothing. A black screen.

Aaaand I got the same glitch. I beat Queen Remedi, "Mission Cleared", then my screen goes black. Can't seem to do anything else from here. I'm using Delta if that helps.

(Still, I've been very happy playing this, as I said recently. You asked for some feedback in earlier posts, so I wanted to take a second to say I think your intentions have landed perfectly: Story encounters are tough and fun; Double Sword is good, but other Support abilities feel necessary too, especially Concentrate in later game fights;  And multi-classing feels amazing. I can play a Paladin/Black Mage off tank without any worries about his stats at all. The multi-classing feels like a dream come true!)

rrs_kai

Quote from: Diplomack on March 14, 2023, 10:32:42 pmAaaand I got the same glitch. I beat Queen Remedi, "Mission Cleared", then my screen goes black. Can't seem to do anything else from here. I'm using Delta if that helps.
I had a few glitches and crashes reported and most of them are emulator related. If you can send me your .sav save file, I can open it in mGBA, clear the final map, and send it back to you so that you can try the post-game (if that interests you).

Quote from: Diplomack on March 14, 2023, 10:32:42 pm(Still, I've been very happy playing this, as I said recently. You asked for some feedback in earlier posts, so I wanted to take a second to say I think your intentions have landed perfectly: Story encounters are tough and fun; Double Sword is good, but other Support abilities feel necessary too, especially Concentrate in later game fights;  And multi-classing feels amazing. I can play a Paladin/Black Mage off tank without any worries about his stats at all. The multi-classing feels like a dream come true!)
Thanks for having a go, and your feedback. How do you feel about the totema fights?
Nice to hear you've completed the game. Thank you very much for playing!!

Marche

Gonna do a playthrough of this this weekend. Thanks for making this!

rrs_kai

Quote from: Marche on April 14, 2023, 01:51:34 pmGonna do a playthrough of this, this weekend. Thanks for making this!
Sure :)
I am looking for feedback on the new monsters and totema fights. If you make it that far, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Marche

Quote from: rrs_kai on April 14, 2023, 09:33:27 pmSure :)
I am looking for feedback on the new monsters and totema fights. If you make it that far, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Currently playing on my phone and im experiencing crashes rn, item ability is bugged and doesnt work 90% of the time. when i click on a blank ability it sets concentrate. That's the three major bugs I found. As far as gameplay, I'm liking the balance you made, its not impossible to win and the monsters are cool to fight with. Doublesword is broken early so I'm curious why it's available in early game?

rrs_kai

Quote from: Marche on April 21, 2023, 11:24:18 amCurrently playing on my phone and im experiencing crashes rn, item ability is bugged and doesnt work 90% of the time. when i click on a blank ability it sets concentrate. That's the three major bugs I found.
I use mGBA on a laptop and there's no bugs, but many people play on mobile.

Quote from: Marche on April 21, 2023, 11:24:18 amAs far as gameplay, I'm liking the balance you made, its not impossible to win and the monsters are cool to fight with. Doublesword is broken early so I'm curious why it's available in early game?
It's available early so that you can compare the power of dual-wielding 1H with 2H weapons.

Marche

Quote from: rrs_kai on April 21, 2023, 03:08:49 pmI use mGBA on a laptop and there's no bugs, but many people play on mobile.
It's available early so that you can compare the power of dual-wielding 1H with 2H weapons.

Okay ignore all the bugs I mentioned above, I used MyBoy and they work fine there. One thing tho and I confirmed this also happens at mGBA is that law cards starting from the 8th slot, once I'm there the game freezes.

rrs_kai

Quote from: Marche on April 26, 2023, 04:36:41 amOne thing tho and I confirmed this also happens at mGBA is that law cards starting from the 8th slot, once I'm there the game freezes.
Oh, could you send me your .sav save file? if not a save state?

Diojeans

January 19, 2024, 08:14:29 am #172 Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:43:12 pm by Diojeans Reason: Reported a crash after a unit obtained a Red Card, and less images
I'm sorry to necro this thread, but I have many bugs to report after playing this hack for some time. These occurred while on the latest version of mGBA (0.10.2).

- Hunter's job description cannot be read, as an empty text box simply flashes on the screen. Similarly, attempting to pull up Gadgeteer's description will crash the game.

- If a unit is moved to slot No. 1 in the Party Menu, then dismissed, saving the game afterward will cause the game to freeze, which also prevents save files from being loaded.

- Using the Gunner's Powerbreak on a unit that absorbs Fire, Ice, or Earth will make it do damage instead of healing them.

- After a Paladin of mine obtained a Red Card in battle after hitting 4 targets with Saint Cross, the game freezes.

- When Controlling a Ruin Ward (Fairy), attempting to cast Meteorite might make the game hang up before its animation can be played.

- Limit Glove and Soundwave cannot be learned by the Blue Mage, despite being in its list of A-Abilities.

- In most cases, a unit attempting to use the Item, Throw, or Hurl commands multiple times in battle will crash the game. It seems to be dependent on the map they are battling on, and crashes will only occur when the menu is opened two to three times.  I believe this issue may be related to the item changing bug described below.

- If the equip menu is entered, exited, then entered again, the available 1H swords and shields will change into completely different ones. In most cases, the "illegal" items can be equipped on characters with no issues. In the case of 1H swords, they will often change into placeholder items, which crash the game when attempting to see their description, but can still be wielded. Moving to the left/right of the menu fixes the issue temporarily, and this problem also existed in the Mission Item Fix patch.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (USA)-0.png Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (USA)-1.png

I was enjoying this hack for some time, but with the ever growing list of bugs and crashes, I'm wondering if it's worth finishing. Regardless, I'll see this through to the end.