• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:40:45 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Heroes of Ivalice (Formerly: Final Fantasy Simulation)

Started by Ilium, March 18, 2013, 04:45:48 pm

Ilium

In 1987, Square were backed into a corner. Faced with the reality of having to close its doors if its next title was not a success, they called the game "Final Fantasy" and the rest is history. Today, Square's gold-standard franchise faces a similar situation, as its about to lose its most popular representation within the sim-gaming and RPG community: Heroes of Ivalice.

A Sim-RPG based off our beloved original Final Fantasy Tactics, this game has seen hundreds of players in its over half-decade existence. However in recent times, the game has slowed to a crawl, to the point where the staff have decided to close up shop.

So, we are faced with a "Final Fantasy" of our own. Everyone who has ever played Heroes of Ivalice knows how special of a game this was and how much the sim-gaming community will and already has missed it. Those who have ever wished to immerse themselves in the rich world of Ivalice in roleplay, but could never get enough people together to make it really special, this was the forum of your dreams. That is why I am determined to resurrect this game and raise it back to its former glory, with Final Fantasy Simulation.

• Turn-based forum roleplay game
  • Create a character, level up and gain abilities just like in the original game
  • Join an independent party or a kingdom
  • Check out the original Heroes of Ivalice website for a good representation

Right now, the game is in its Alpha phase. Heroes of Ivalice has just recently announced its demise, and I have only begun to transfer information from the original game to the board, along with various other sources of Tactics knowledge. What this game needs right this moment is a dedicated and inspired staff that want to contribute to this game in any shape possible. Roleplayers, coders, graphic experts, this game has tons of needs. I have only begun the creation of the mechanics for the game, as I would like this to be a complete team effort from the start. I refuse to claim ownership or possession of the game, as this game and idea has existed for many years before this post.

You might be asking how this game will end up different that Heroes of Ivalice, which is an honest question. My personal ideas for the game include streamlining the mechanics while trying to keep it as similar to the original PSX experience as possible. The other major concept I have is writing code to create programs to automate many of the actions of the game, like PT's and KT's, and eventually combat. As a computer science major currently studying the subject, I have already begun to brainstorm different ways to go about making that happen. Of course, contributions from anyone more experienced than I in that regard would be invaluable. Anyone who is interested helping create, this game, stop by the website and see if you would like to stick around and be there from the absolute beginning. I appreciate everyone who read this, and thank you!

3lric

March 18, 2013, 05:08:16 pm #1 Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:19:22 pm by Elric
I read this whole thing twice... Honestly, I've never even heard of Heroes of Ivalice...
So I'm not quite sure what you are asking for.

However, I am rather skilled when it comes to putting together cutscenes (NON-FMV), if that is any help...
But honestly im not sure if this is simply a R P or not.
  • Modding version: PSX

Ilium

Sorry, I should have explained directly what Heroes of Ivalice is a bit better. Here is a link to the message board for you to check out if you'd like. Basically, Heroes of Ivalice was an online forum roleplay, based off of Final Fantasy Tactics. Going beyond the traditional forum roleplay element of just 'picking a name' and going from there, HoI implemented stats and game mechanics, turning it more into a full fledged simulation than just a roleplay. Picture a mod or a patch to the original game, but instead of the focus being on the program itself, Heroes of Ivalice took the original game and modded it to become a text based roleplaying experience. Well, HoI has existed for over a decade, yet due to the staff there not having the time or the ability to keep up with the game any longer, they have decided to shut it down. So, I have decided try and resurrect the concept at Final Fantasy Simulation. 

I appreciate the consideration! Cut-scenes perhaps could have a part in telling the story of the game, however what would probably be more helpful right now would be traditional sprite and map editing. I just watched your proposal video though a little bit ago, that was really well done.  ;) 

3lric

Well we do have several spriters on the site that may be able to help once they see some of the progress being made.
But as far as map editing goes.. Some of us know how to do it, but we generally don't since its extremely tedious, however
doing it for something new may not be as bad.

And thank you for your comment about my proposal event. As far as cutscenes go, that one was fairly simple, as it was
just talking and moving around paired with a beautiful EVTCHR made by Twinees.
  • Modding version: PSX

scbw1234

This actually looks fun,please keep it up :)

Ilium

Quote from: scbw1234 on May 02, 2013, 11:02:35 am
This actually looks fun,please keep it up :)

Thank you for your interest! Yes, the game is continuing to come along nicely, and I have had several people join already and contribute to its creation since my OP here. In fact, one of the creators of the original Heroes of Ivalice has joined the cause, and has joined this forum as well. We are excited for the progress we are making so far, and hope to have a beta version of the RPG ready in a couple months.

Ilium

July 31, 2013, 12:41:21 pm #6 Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:01:24 pm by Ilium
Development of this game has moved to http://simdomain.net/IvaliceRestored/index.php, on its own brand new shiny server and board (blegh ProBoards)! It has also been renamed Heroes of Ivalice, as we have pulled significant founding members and developers from that original game to help bring this version of the RPG along! If anyone is interested in a forum based, roleplaying environment that incorporates Tactics' original mechanics with TONS of additions, come check us out and help us put this game together! Development is coming along great as it always has and soon we hope to present a finished product for everyone to enjoy!

Edit: Roleplaying situations are now opening up!