• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:14:39 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[Old] difference between this and FFT 1.3?

Started by spibbly, May 23, 2013, 04:14:13 am

spibbly

May 23, 2013, 04:14:13 am Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:18:54 am by Dome
I've been watching vidoes of 1.3 for awhile now, and it looks great. Then I've found out and about this and I'm really confused about which to play. 1.3 just looks great and the enemies are all so powerful in comparison with normal, and I really like that.

Could someone please tell me what the differences between this and 1.3 are?

Dome

This and 1.3 are both patches that focus on rebalancing the game and make it harder
1.3 puts more emphasis on the "harder" part, while Plus main focus is to make the game enjoyable for everyone, even for who never played the game before (So, it's obviously easier. It gets difficult later, but only near the end and in post-game sidequest)

Just pick the one it suits you more

P.s: Welcome to FFH, where all your dreams come true!

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Furby

Quote from: Dome on May 23, 2013, 04:41:05 am
This and 1.3 are both patches that focus on rebalancing the game and make it harder
1.3 puts more emphasis on the "harder" part, while Plus main focus is to make the game enjoyable for everyone, even for who never played the game before (So, it's obviously easier. It gets difficult later, but only near the end and in post-game sidequest)

How does it get more difficult later? Is it like 1.3, where everyone's level scales, or does it use static levels similar to the original?

Dome

Enemies are always at your level, and have the same gear you can buy in the stores (Except for ch4 fights, where enemies have rare items that can only be obtained stealing)

But later enemies have better jobs and skills unlocked (In Ch1 you fight squires with throw stone, in ch4 you fight fully equipped Samurai and Short charged Summoners, so to speak)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Furby

Well, you just sold me on this! I'll take a look.

Tyvent

I'm more enamored of 1.3's job changes than FFT+'s (though still a nice improvement over vanilla).  However, *for me*, 1.3's obscene difficulty ruins the game.  I've quit playing it twice since its release.  Its biggest flaw (of dozens) is that virtually every battle loads up the enemy with recovery abilities, and even if you go into battle prepared to disrupt their endless curing and resurrecting, an "easy" battle can go on (potion) and on (raise) and on (regenerator) and on (hi-ether) and on (revive) and on (chakra) and on (phoenix down) AND ON . . .  I mean geez, sure, make that the main challenge of a few battles, but not a huge challenge in virtually all of them, even when the enemy already has three other deadly strategies to deal with!

I'll also mention, if you're tempted to play 1.3, to carefully plan your job progression; do not fight lots of extra side battles to gain new abilities because enemies in story battles become noticeably harder every time your experience level goes up.  In fact, they eventually outpace the power gain you get from new abilities and store equipment unless you regularly rob them blind (and live to tell about it . . .) or find significant JP sources decoupled from EXP sources (bar missions aren't enough . . .).

FFT+ is more difficult than vanilla but also not a masochistic experience.  I did have to ask for advice on one battle, but the rest of the hard ones I could figure out after a few attempts.  At worst, I had to train up for some particular abilities in side battles before trying again (unlike 1.3, training up in side battles isn't a trap.  Imagine that :) ).