• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:17:28 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA2 question about how jobs are selectable

Started by ilikejuice, May 05, 2016, 11:34:23 am

ilikejuice

So, say I wanted to add/remove a job from the job pool, is it possible?
Of course I know I can't just make a new job appear from nowhere, but for example, the Keeper for Nu Mou is already in the same place as the rest of the Nu Mou jobs as far as I know, so is it possible to make Nu Mou's able to select it? Or, with a different example, remove... Elementalist lets go with, from the Viera job pool, and make a Bangaa job with it? Or would all of this require ASM hacking?

bcrobert

I'm going to assume that FFTA2's job mechanics are roughly the same as FFTA (which I have far more experience with).

Let's say you wanted to make Elementalist a bangaa job. You would need to change the job's natural race to bangaa, move the abilities around so that the elementalist abilities would be on the bangaa table, repoint some things, edit the sprite with a separate program to make it look like a bangaa, set up new prerequisites for the job that a bangaa can achieve, and change all related text in the game to match the changes. And that's just off the top of my head.

As for the Keeper, I'm not actually sure what locks the Keeper and the special classes (Heritor, Bard, Sky Pirate, Dancer, Nightshade) from other units in that race. That would require some digging.

Naturally it's possible to add or remove a job from the job pool. It's just kind of a messy process since jobs in this game are tied to many, many, many structures and routines.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

ilikejuice

I see, thank you! I figure it's just gonna be a I have to wait until more tools are released or get better with hex editing kinda thing then :p