• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Kagebunji's sprites- Moving on...

Started by Kagebunji, August 04, 2009, 02:29:37 pm

Kagebunji

Palettes are all used from existing colors, Cheetah, but you are right, first palette stands out. But like I said earlier, every character in yellow would do. My personal favourite palette is number 2. Oh, I co-op'd with Et on palettes, we both thought that black Ton in red outfit(third palette) will work great for Tonberry Shade. Alll the sprites I did lately are for Newtype btw.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

Yeah, the third palette was a totally original choice. The first one is a classic Tonberry's colors, the second is based on the color scheme of the Tonberry King in FFTA.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kagebunji

I have a request. I am doing Lamia currently, and she is coming along perfect, she might get done this weekend if I will feel like doing it. I just need a good portrait for her. I tried doing something out of FFT version portrait, but it failed hardly. So if you feel like it, please do it(Mav, Twinees, anyone?) :D

Twinees

Smash did one,  

looks epic.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Holy Shit. I forgot about this. I will have to mess a bit with palette here. I hope he didn't share skin with hair, because that means I am screwed. Thanks for linking this, Twinees. My version of Lamia looks a lot like FFTA one(I based her on that), so this port doesn't match fully, but who cares, it is epic!

Edit: Yup, I am screwed. It shares colors with skin and hair. Mav, could you try this please? You are more experienced than I am in such things. Also I posted her with palettes. Getting her proper colors was HELL, and I still think I could do better.

Twinees

Thought this would suit the portrait more, but the decision is up to you. Finish the sheet you are making for the normal Lamia, then put a spin on it like this (like you suggested).

Kagebunji

Ok, since I learned that some of you might not be OK with me using monsters from other games, I decided to declare now to everyone. Yes, my monsters ARE ALL MADE FROM EXISTING SPRITES, often they are repaletted with minor edits, often they are just copied into FFT sheet(Werewolf). So what? I don't give a fuck, you got only yourself to blame for not thinking of this simple method earlier, I tried to bring as many monsters as possible to the site, and I got bragging in return. Here is an image Celdia linked to me, and I advise everyone who have a problem with me using this method read this:

Anyway, now I feel fuckin down for seeing this utter bullshit. I will postpone doing monsters. And will send finished ones only to those who will want it, no more submitting so you won't bitch about it.

Izirudo

What's the problem with using existing sprites? I mean, yeah copy&paste sounds somewhat poor, but if it makes things easier for everyone and we'll get new sprites anyway, why not? I don't care if it's original or not - contribution is contribution, and I always respect people who works for the sake of the community. Don't let this get you down Kage - keep up doing what you believe is right. Ramza did that all his life as well ;)

Kagebunji

True. I am already half-way done with erasing ugly symbols on Lamia. I will finish my current bersion first, and then make her into something like Smash's portrait looks like.

Cheetah

Kage your's looks great. Use that, it looks way more FFT-like.
Current Projects:

RavenOfRazgriz

Anyone whose bitching because you're using sprites from other sources as a base and converting them into an FFT-style needs to go to hell.  It's no different from taking an existing sprite and using it as a base, something which is a common practice for making human sprites, beyond the fact that the ones you're using aren't from FFT... which really doesn't mean fuck all.

Whoever's bitching needs to seriously shut up and think, either that or probably ask for like over half of the sprites on the main site to be torn down.  :/

Monsters look great so far btw, outside of what Cheetah mentioned on the last page about a couple palette tweaks to make them fit the FFT color scheme a bit better.

Kagebunji

Progress:
[attachment=0:1dw0q4la]Lamia.bmp[/attachment:1dw0q4la]
I am almost done with erasing symbols on her tail as you can see, after that I will just have to finish rest of the frames.

Cheetah

I have assumed that some of your sprites were done in this way. Frankly everything we do here is borderline if not blatantly illegal, so nitpicking his hardly worth the effort.

However. I would recommend making your sources public, or at least acknowledging that you are borrowing heavily from existing work. Otherwise it is plagiarism, but like it has been said everything we do here is plagiarism. It is your choice to do these kind of sprites and it is all a slippery difference of interpretation regardless.

Like your FFTA based tonberry may seem completely legit compared to your heavily borrowed werewolf from a different game, but legally there is little to no difference.
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

I am giving now credits to respective firms doing those sprites(s-e, NIS etc.). So if even now I will see someone bitching about, I advise to STFU and think again. I talked with Raven on chat, and we came to conclusion that it would be cool to have 100% custom sprites like Smash's Wyvern, or Curu's Bomb Lord, but point is, those sprites are too painful to make. How far those two sprites went along? only 1 framers. While monsters I am doing now, while not 100% custom, are DOABLE. So if anyone start bitching, simply shut up.

Twinees

Looks nice Kage, though i just tested it ingame and it has several alignment problems (walking animation is the most obvious). Try to fix those and it should be good.

Kagebunji

Allignment on walking is fine. She is just getting higher on her tail, that is what makes you think she it is alligned wrongly, look at the sheet(at her tail to be more specific) I can allign it wrongly so you see how missallignment looks, hehe. I test it in-game all the time, and so far I haven't encountered any major allingment problems, so if you could post gif along with the said problem, it would make my life easier, heh.

GeneralStrife

This is Really cool kage, I love it. No one else has had the stones to do these complex monsters. No matter what you borrow, it's on the internet! It's game!

mav

Awesome work, Kage. I'm going to try to work on a portrait. It's gonna be tough though--I've never made a monster portrait before. If anyone else wants to work on one, be my guest. Where are your palettes from, Kage?

EDIT: Very rough draft for the portrait. I'm trying to get the shape down. That alone will be tough, then comes the texture (which will be freaking insurmountable), and then the palette. I need a lot of help with this portrait, guys, so please take it into Paint and chop at it till you get something decent.

Twinees

The shapes youve got there look pretty spot on mav, the only thing i would probably suggest with the shape atm would be her left side (our right) cobra like thing should continue up 1 or 2 more pixels.
I would probably recommend completing the little (in this case yellow) ring that goes around the cobra bit first, then working around that. Other than those two suggestions, its looking right on track.

@Kage, do you also get the sprite moving crazily around like this? This is exactly what it looks like on my screen.

mav

Thanks for the input, twinees. Hot damn, this is a tough one. I don't know how I'm gonna shade this thing. For now, I'll continue working on the shape of this thing. I don't know how to get the right part of her face (our left) looking natural. I mean, how can I get the scales to cover part of the skin? If a really talented pixel artist could get his or her hands on this, we could get something really interesting. For now we'll have to make due with this:
[attachment=0:k7rr2y9a]lamia.png[/attachment:k7rr2y9a]