• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Big Announcment spriters!

Started by Xifanie, July 14, 2008, 08:39:14 pm

CidIII

August 25, 2008, 07:18:12 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
It's in this forum section a few notches down.

http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764

I think is what is being referred to.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Zozma

October 19, 2008, 08:14:42 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so any more news on this?

what about increasing sprite size of sprites like Kasanek and Kasanem or furaia(who has a menu sprite) to the size of a full spirte by taking away some size of an already useless sprite sheet like dami? i know it was discussed before but i havent heard anything more about it
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Xifanie

October 19, 2008, 08:45:53 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
well it ended up that I was wrong concerning sprites types but SB says he found how to change them. you can change the location of spritesheets too easily (the sector offsets are in BATTLE.BIN, easy to find; you can find the sector # with cdprog) but it would be a mess editing without real ISO manipulation.

You'd have to basically cut your spritesheets into pieces, join pieces with another spritesheet's and then import them.

Example:
Dummy File 1 is 40kb
Dummy File 2 is 38kb
Dummy File 3 is 34kb

Spritesheet 1 is 44kb
Spritesheet 2 is 46kb
you'd have to split spritesheet 1 in 40kb and 4kb
then cut the second one into 34kb and 12kb
Join second part of first and first part of second

Result:
File 1 = 40kb of sprite 1
File 2 = 4kb of sprite 1 + 34kb of sprite 2
File 3 = 12kb of sprite 2

A mess, but doable.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

October 19, 2008, 08:53:03 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hmmm if we can do that, isnt this the way to assign another sprite sheet to a character with a menu sprite?

cant i take what job points to the alloted space for the FURAIA.SPR and assign FURAIA.SPR's job to DAMI.SPR even tho its much bigger, and then give what points to DAMI.SPR the little bit of space that FURAIA.SPR has?

at any rate, where do the sector offsets begin and end? i can experiment myself and report my findings if i have the tools i need....

Xifanie

October 19, 2008, 09:22:31 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
BATTLE.BIN
0x0002DC04

you'll find the sector offsets there. (There is no assigned end sector btw)

like if you wanna find cloud's sector offset:

cdprog
CLOUD.SPR > Sector Location > 57473
to hex
0xE081
to D-word
0x81E00000

search

0x0002DE64

you can change it to any sector you want.

I don't know about Unit.bin links but I believe SB does.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Xifanie

October 19, 2008, 09:26:30 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
KASANEK + KASANEM are next to each other so that's a safe spot... probably the only two dummies in a row. Other than that I think they require ENTD editing

Zozma

October 19, 2008, 09:31:34 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
well if we can change to any sector we want, that means we can change what links a sprite in unit.bin to a battle sprite then which is what were lookin for :)

Xifanie

October 19, 2008, 09:48:16 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
well, not exactly, KASANEK (IIRC) has his spot in UNIT.BIN but his special job is... one of the generic jobs... (I can't recall which).

It may be another sprite too, and maybe more too.

bad Memory ;D

but I'm sure at least one dummy sprite is that way.

Zozma

October 19, 2008, 09:53:24 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yes, so

if we take this dummy battle sprite which has no connection to unit.bin

and make the Furaia sprite's assigned sector and change it to the kasanek sector... BAM furaia (with a menu sprite) now accesses kasanek in battle right?

and by doing this, the sector with Furaia's tiny little sprite would be used by nothing

Xifanie

October 19, 2008, 10:50:47 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
? furaia has a UNIT.BIN sprite to start with?

and yeah she will access kasanek in battle

Xifanie

October 19, 2008, 10:52:19 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
btw if you came on the chat I would've answered you way faster. :S

Zozma

October 19, 2008, 10:54:50 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hehe yeah i know, but im at work this time of day and its computers disable things like chat and youtube videos and stuff

awesome tho, this is the answer i was lookin for, so now we have the last bit of info we need to make sprite/job links (even if there are pointers somewhere, this will surely do the trick as well)

Yeah Furaia.SPR  connected to job 1C  , it accesses the "pigtailed girl with a blue and gold dress, with brown hair) however, as you know, furaia only allows the size of an event sprite (like the commoners 10,20,40 yo generic townspeople)

(Gando job 12 (hell knight) accesses another unused menu sprite just if anyone is interested)

Vanya

October 20, 2008, 12:24:08 am #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Very interested! This is great stuff. Are there any others? I can't remember off the top of my head. This inspires me to make a patch that preps the original ISO to more usable spots for specials. =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

October 20, 2008, 03:06:37 am #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
there is another one besides gando (which is linked to a full sprite sheet, unlike  furaia) that shows a bald priest in the menu. but i cant remember which. i dont think it was a high number tho

alright so awesome

furaia is at 2DDB4

and so if i change it from 8EE1 to D2E4 her menu sprite is now linked to LEDY.SPR

@Vanya
I wasn't able to find the other sprite linked to the second dummied priest in unit.bin....
but here are some that can be used by combining dupes
or relocating incomplete files (why does ajora or unconcious alma need a full sprite (AND menu sprite) when no attack frames are ever used? could move those to smaller files like furaia, kasanek, kasanem and reassign sectors

-----has a completely wasted(unused) menu sprite/portrait--------
12- the dead malak
14- alma
1C- teta
31- ajora
-------------------------------

Edit: but something is still amiss... as it still cuts the arms off
Edit: okay i figured it out, to end the sector theres an assigned length

tetas normal sprite 8EE1 shortly after you see the value '98'

where as other files have things like 'B0' after reassigning the sector AND changing the 98 to B0 the file works perfectly and so now my FURAIA.SPR has a menu sprite and works perfectly in battle as its completely linked to LEDY.SPR (the unused lede sprite) Well... now you can use any sprite and link it to a unit.bin sprite i suppose