• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:29 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[FFTA2] A Short and Simple Guide to Editing Dialogue

Started by GooeySL, March 22, 2020, 01:54:46 am

GooeySL

March 22, 2020, 01:54:46 am Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:18:36 pm by GooeySL
Required Programs and Files
Windhex
A FFTA2 Table file (I provide one, but mine is kinda ugly)

Steps
Step 1: Load your game
Step 2: Load the table file
Step 3: Use ctrl-f for Text search and type in the dialogue you're looking for.
Step 4: When you want to edit dialogue, just switch the Edit mode in the Edit menu to Text or hit Tab

IMPORTANT NOTES
  • DO NOT GO OVER THE LENGTH OF THE ORIGINAL DIALOGUE. The dialogue bubble will break if you do. Dialogue ends at the hexes C2 00 C1 00 or (~#`#) if you are using my table
  • TO LINE BREAK, the hex is C0 or if you're using my table, that's \
  • WHEN STARTING A NEW SENTENCE AFTER LINE BREAKING YOU NEED TO USE HEX 00 or #(if you are using my table)

Offsets
Here are where the offsets are for some of the ENGLISH text.

023B7E0E - Beginning dialogue of game
023B8E56 - Classroom cutscene & Beginning of fighting Klesta
023B9F40 - White mage tutorial text about 'Movement'
023BA220 - Black mage tutorial text about 'Action'

If you scrolled around the text, you'll see that the text and dialogue is somewhat in order. Somewhat. They're a little far a part, but still relatively close. Just need to scroll a bit.

There is A LOT of dialogue and text that you can edit by just scrolling up and down. Only problem is that there aren't any pointers, BUT you can use the FIND TEXT option to find what you're looking for.

Proof of Concept
Here's a(n) (immature) screenshot of edited dialogue:

https://ibb.co/6n7zH56

The image shows an example of what I changed and how that looks ingame.

Ending Note
I didn't test everything, so there may be some other issues or important notes. I just saw that no one else seems to have done or know about this, and wanted to share. I got the table file somewhere on this forum and edited it. I chose the new symbols to resemble the AiO text editor tool too.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

GooeySL

This is kind of off topic, but does anyone know how to make Luso or a unit required for a battle? I really want to add some flavor into some quests by forcing Luso as an assigned unit and then editing his dialogue for those quests.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown