• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:14:23 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Is it possible to hack an ISO and load an existing save file?

Started by JoeyMondo, November 26, 2016, 08:43:48 pm

JoeyMondo

Hi everybody. I'm JoeyMondo.

I recently got into hacking/patching/modding/whatever you wanna call it, and I tried one simple thing.

I added one of Agrias' abilities (Northswain Strike or whatever) to the Knight's default skill set, just to see if it was a possibility.

Then, when i went to load my save game file, it didn't even register I had a save game.

I lost my mind for about 15 minutes, but got a fresh iso and repatched it with the normal speed fix patches i was using at first, and I can load my save again.

My question is, is it possible to modify an iso , and then load a pre-existing save game and use that modified iso, or do i have to start all over after i make my changes?

Thank you, anyone, for your help, and I love this site! Been a lurker for a long long time trying to figure out what i want to do with a mod.
  • Modding version: WotL

Xifanie

The only way to disallow a modified FFT ISO to load vanilla saves (i.e. a new set of saves) is to change the Save IDs.
Here's the list:

• BASCUS-94221FFTO

• BASCUS-94221FFTN

• BASCUS-94221FFTM

• BASCUS-94221FFTL

• BASCUS-94221FFTK

• BASCUS-94221FFTJ

• BASCUS-94221FFTI

• BASCUS-94221FFTH

• BASCUS-94221FFTG

• BASCUS-94221FFTF

• BASCUS-94221FFTE

• BASCUS-94221FFTD

• BASCUS-94221FFTC

• BASCUS-94221FFTB

• BASCUS-94221FFTA

Let me guess: you didn't do that. Other than that, of course, there would be edits that would corrupt the game so much it would be a miracle for you to actually get this result.

Just look better at your memory card settings in your emulator next time.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

JoeyMondo

Ummm.... you lost me there.

I guess I'd be better off just not messing with it at all?

Nyzer

She's saying that unless you somehow manage to fuck up the ISO entirely, you'd have to deliberately change it in order to stop it from loading its normal save files.

Meaning, yes, it's not only possible to load your pre-existing save files, it's the default option.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Guru

Quote from: JoeyMondo on November 26, 2016, 10:54:26 pm
Ummm.... you lost me there.

I guess I'd be better off just not messing with it at all?

Yes, don't mess with it unless you don't want people loading saves from other fft mods/games in your mod. Since all FFT games/mods would share the same default ID, unless it is changed they would be able to load a save from vanilla or another mod into your mod. I accidently loaded a save from a mod(I think it was CoP?) into a vanilla rom once and it crashed pretty hard.

That's interesting I always wondered why some mods can load other fft saves and jot5 doesn't.

*edit* I noticed you said speed fix hack, I assume you are doing WoTL? You will be severly limited in what you can change with the current knowledge/tools.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11535.0 Here's a brief overview of the limitations compared to PSX version

JoeyMondo

Yes. I'm using the slowdown fix patch on a PSP iso for FFT:WotL. I'm aware the changes I can make are limited, I only really want to change some of the default abilities, and give the generic Knight some of Agrias/Meliadoul's abilities, because I'm not using any of the special Knight characters in this play through.

When i editted my ISO and then tried to load my save game again, it treated it like I didn't have a save to load and said the memory card was empty. The only way I was able to access my file was to re-download the vanilla FFTWOTL Iso, and then patch it with the speedfix and speedfix mark 2 patches I had used before. Any time I make any changes to the original ISO beyond the two speedfix hacks, it treats it like I don't have a save file.

I apologize if i'm being difficult, and it seems as if layman's terms aren't entirely possible with this kind of thing.

JoeyMondo

Nyzer

It's not an emulator issue. PPSSPP works just fine for me. You've got something you're doing wrong, because the Patcher does not edit your save ID just by moving a few abilities around.

JoeyMondo

I did only ONE thing, added "Judgment Blade" to one of the empty skill slots for the Knight job class, then patched my iso and it won't read my file. What could I have done differently? That was literally the -only- thing I changed.

JoeyMondo

I re-created the issue and am still having the same issue. Does the european version have anything to do with it?

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find what exactly happened.

Nyzer

Seriously, I have absolutely no clue what you're doing to trigger this, and it doesn't look like anyone else does either. Have you tried looking at the save/game IDs after the fact?

And if you do think a European ISO might be the cause of a problem, download a US ISO and find out.

Guru

Quote from: nyzer on December 01, 2016, 11:53:02 pm
Seriously, I have absolutely no clue what you're doing to trigger this, and it doesn't look like anyone else does either. Have you tried looking at the save/game IDs after the fact?

And if you do think a European ISO might be the cause of a problem, download a US ISO and find out.

Beat me to it, I was going to suggest trying a different version too.

On another note... you are using FFTPatcher to change the abilities? Are you using the psp options for patching?

I mean you are just going to have to troubleshoot, if you are going to get into hacking you might want to get used to this sort of thing. Gonna be a lot of game breaking shit going on.