• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:05:52 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Shishi and FFTPatcher sprite #'s don't match?

Started by Devon_v, May 21, 2010, 12:17:56 pm

Devon_v

[s:11b6lk4p]I wanted to have a more descriptive title, but the forum wouldn't let me be that verbose.

The first thing I noticed is that FFTPacher is using a 1-based index and Shishi is using a 0-based index. Young Ramza is Job 01 and Sprite 00 for instance. I'm assuming this is just a display issue, and all sprites in Shishi actually match the job -1 in FFTP. This seems to work up to Altima at Job 49/Sprite 48.

However, Job 4A is Squire. Sprite 49 is 10 Year Old Man. As every job is supposed to have its own spritesheet now, how does this work?

The male Squire sprite is 5F, and the female 60, but Jobs 60 and 61 are the Red Chocobo and the Goblin. Jobs (other than Dancer/Bard) do not distinguish between gender and have only one entry paired with two sprites

I'm guessing that the Job/Sprite links are still hard coded, and that something else changed in the expansion process. Was in that certain spritesheets were shared between multiple sprite values, and now every value up to 9F can be an independent spritesheet? But if the Job/Sprite links are still hardcoded, (Job 7F is linked to sprite 90, and for monsters that seems to be changeable, but it's still not for humans) what (other than allowing 64K sprites in every slot) does the expansion really do in terms of adding new sprites to the game?

And then there's the "sprite set" numbers in the ENTD editor. Is this just a poor choice of word, and has nothing to actually do with the sprite of the character?  It seems that it's the Job, selected independently, which actually sets the appearance of the character. What does it actually do? I tried searching, but the forum informed me that those words were "too common". Since everything about a character can be set within the ENTD entry for them, including name, job, skills, level, etc, what does "Sprite Set" actually store or reference?

Thanks again.[/s:11b6lk4p]

Nevermind, I just noticed that there's a wiki that explains everything. Now I feel really sheepish.

Timbo

You should feel sheepish.  Didn't you know that after 3 posts you're supposed to know everything?  Some people.  Sheesh.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo