• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:02:57 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Problem with changing Unit Screen Sprite & editing Job Names

Started by Ion, May 03, 2010, 12:47:47 pm

Timbo

Quote from: "formerdeathcorps"You can't do that.  If you extracted your TacText file from any ISO already modified by TacText, you cannot use that file to patch any other ISOs.

What you actually need to do is far more time consuming:
Open TacText
Open FFT EasyType ISO on one
Use Restore ISO on each file that gives you DTE errors by having it compare against a completely clean FFT ISO
Manually edit each one of those files
Save TacText File
Patch Clean ISO

Okay, so I'm real slow and sometimes I don't understand exactly what you mean when you type.  I pretty much need complete sentences and thorough explanations.  

Here is what I need to do.  I need to rename Ramza's class and rename and re-describe several powers and I want to do this Final Fantasy v1.3 Complete Easytype (which I call compleazytype for short) as my base patch because I want that sweet sweet translated text, not the easy difficulty.  I've all ready created a heavily modified FFTPatcher file that I recreated using Compleazytype as a base.  All of the skills and jobs line up with it almost perfectly with some well-calculated exceptions.
I need to:
1. Open TacText
2. Open FFT EasyType ISO on one---> What does this mean?  On one what?  Do I have to open more then one instance of TacText?
3. Use Restore ISO on each file that gives you DTE errors by having it compare against a completely clean FFT ISO---> When I run tactext, WLDHELP.LZW, is the only file that fails for me.  Is this because it stops after the first file that errors, will there be others?  Would you mind elaborating on how to use Restore ISO in your instructions.  Also, how do I make Restore ISO compare ISO files.
4. Manually edit each one of those files
5. Save TacText File
6. Patch a completely clean ISO

Here is the thing I'm most concerned about.  Tactext does not appear to let you modify the ingame dialogue.  In order to have the translation I will HAVE to start from either complete or compleazy type, correct?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

formerdeathcorps

Open TacText once.  Have it load FFT Easy Type ISO.  Try to patch the text to a normal ISO.  If it doesn't work, go to the file that doesn't work for you, click on the restore ISO button, and reference your clean ISO.  Since the files go in alphabetical order, WLDHELP.LZW is likely the only file giving you errors.  Once you click the restore ISO button, all the information in there will be restored back to the PSX defaults, which you'll have to manually change.

To change dialogue, use CD Mage to extract TEST.EVT from the Events folder of your Easy Type ISO and reimport it into your clean ISO in the same place.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Timbo

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo