• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:13:47 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Replacing Lancer's skills but there's a problem.

Started by DarkxFatal, December 22, 2009, 02:07:32 pm

DarkxFatal

December 22, 2009, 02:07:32 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
I have the skills in the Lancer's skill set. I put the Action menu to 'default' to see if that would work, but I tried doing my custom skill 'Reis' Wind' and it didn't work. It looked like the range of a weapon, but it would have 0% chance to hit. so I did that and it indeed was the range of a weapon.

I tried having the Action menu on 'Jump' again to see if that would work but..it doesn't. Would I have to completely replace the Lancer's skill set with something else, or is Lancer one of the classes that can't be easily changed in terms of skills?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Tristan#9682

Jon

December 22, 2009, 02:43:50 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Jon
Not entirely sure, but I think that the skills in the skillset are directly related to one another, the same goes for Bloodsuck...I don't think that you can add skills to Jump, because that skillset only does one thing when you think about it, all that changes is the range when you buy Jumps with JP...I am sure that you could replace the Jump skillset with something else like Holy Sword or whatever, but why would you change the Lancer/Dragoon's main skill? Unless you are trying to make a Freya like unit...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

DarkxFatal

December 22, 2009, 02:52:22 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by DarkxFatal
Exactly, Jon. Sure, Lancer/Dragoon's Jump skills is pretty good but...THey're a bit over-powered. Get a fast enough unit and the Dragoon goes up one turn. Next turn they come down hitting for around 800 hp. (My Ramza hits 999 in WotL..)

So I decided to make a Freya-Type unit for some more variety. Normally, the Jump command takes you straight to the field/target area. But as it is now, it goes into the Skill menu, which I think is good so far. But I'll probably have to give them an entirely new skill set =\

*Edit*
Well, so far it seems to have worked..But when I learn my two custom skills, Lancet and Reis' Wind, they get replaced by Dragon Tame and Holy Bracelet.

How would I be able to fix this? I would really like to be able to use Lancet and Reis' Wind..Or at least have them working >_<

R999

Sorry for bumping a dead thread... but I wanted to ask, have you experienced any strange behaviors when changing the generic Lancer's main skill-set to another skill-set? I am running into some strange AI behaviors that I am not 100% sure if it is related to the Lancer class itself. I'll need to do more testing in the future but... just for now I don't want to spend the time to work with the Lancer job if it has strange problems.

DarkxFatal

To be exact, I found the problem and I fixed it more or less. If it would help I could upload/stream a video of my changed Lancer class. I did have to change the skill set though, I don't know if changing the 'Action Menu' would do anything.

R999

That's not necessary. But have you noticed the AI acting strange when they are using Lancer as their main? It is like watching them in Berserk when they could be using their skills; I gave them a self Reraise ability that they seem to totally neglect, for example. If you aren't experiencing these strange behaviors that means it probably has something to do with my skills. I'll do more testing for sure -- thanks for getting back to me.

Kaijyuu

r999: You messing with the AI flags at the top? Also of note, the AI doesn't really use support skills unless they're set to do so in the event (like ovelia and alma are), or they're out of range for any attacks (hence the haste spam when fighting time mages...).