• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:56:32 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Sequel Ideas thread.

Started by Havermayer, April 15, 2009, 03:20:19 am

Havermayer

May 01, 2009, 02:17:05 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Quote from: "ArkDelgato"I severely doubt that a sandbox worldmap would mesh at all with an srpg battle system.
The transition would be so jarring if you found an enemy, or the world would be pointless if it was just a blank slate.
It would be a waste of in game memory if it was pointless.

I don't really see how it'd be all that different from FFT or FFTA.  It'd be just showing all of the stuff that you skip when you move from one dot to the next.

So, Dycedarg orders Ramza and his gang to travel to the thieve's fort.  You actually collect your dudes, and you go there.  Either Dycedarg loans you some Chocobos, or you walk there.  You can have the option of attacking the fort at any time of the day, and from any direction.  

So, perhaps it's at night and you get all the way in before the guards notice you and attack.  Or, you attack during the day from the front and they have sentries who spot you so they get the drop on you instead.  

Battle starts when the enemy notices you, and your forces start in whatever formation they were in when they are attacked.  Battles are done in typical style to srpgs.

KazeKasano

May 01, 2009, 02:47:55 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
I like the idea, Havermayer.

And it makes me think that it should involve circular movement abilities instead of a grid.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

ArkDelgato

May 01, 2009, 07:20:40 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ArkDelgato
How would it handle random battles?
Other than that a 3d system would look really nice.

Havermayer

May 01, 2009, 11:08:56 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Quote from: "ArkDelgato"How would it handle random battles?

Some of my ideas:

I think it might be best to concentrate the enemies in dungeons, bases and such.  Overworlds would have lots of stuff to do, people to talk to, stuff to find, and so forth.  

The reason is that I rather dislike overworlds that are crawling with enemies.  It makes traveling from place to place a total pain.  Twilight Princess is a good example of this.

I liked the change of pace that Shadow of the Colossus provided with a mostly empty world.  It was actually a lot of fun to explore and go to place to place in that game.  The scenery was so breathtaking.  

As for enemies, there could be some raving bandits, and monsters.  Not too many so that they're a nuisance.

I like the idea from Fallout 3 that Bounty Hunters will ambush you sometimes.  

So maybe the occasional ambush instead of "random battles".  And like anything else, you could see them from far way (especially if you have high-ground or something).  So, to ambush you they'd have to, like, actually hide and stuff.  

For more "regular" battles, you could just do quest style stuff.  "Go kill those dudes at the old fort" or "meet Algus at Dorter and deliver the secret recipe."  And of course, the delivery was a trap and as soon as you meet Algus, a bunch of enemies pop out and attack you.  

QuoteOther than that a 3d system would look really nice.

Well, you could do 2D too.  It'd just have to be higher res sprites.  3D is better because it allows for more camera movement.

Whatever graphical style is chosen, it'd have to feel "natural".  Something is hard to hit because it's a small target.  And this is graphically represented (instead of just being described).  

QuoteAnd it makes me think that it should involve circular movement abilities instead of a grid.  

Either could work.  Spheres are better :D

KazeKasano

May 01, 2009, 11:12:39 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Art direction should follow in the footsteps of FF III DS, in my opinion. Yoshida did that one as well, and it looks phenomenal.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.

Havermayer

May 01, 2009, 11:31:26 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Quote from: "KazeKasano"Art direction should follow in the footsteps of FF III DS, in my opinion. Yoshida did that one as well, and it looks phenomenal.

Well, you could do chibi style.  

I was thinking more serious FFT/Vagrant story art direction.  The only thing that I don't like about FFT's characters were the unrealistic body proportions.  

So, imagine VS done with modern graphics.  Realistic medieval inspired architecture.  Different areas would be inspired by different periods/areas.

Here's some examples of architecture that I'd love to see.  These are from Saint-Émilion, which is the french town that partially inspired the look of VS:

More general:

SentinalBlade

May 02, 2009, 10:43:11 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Something like this is actually more than possible. Even with my limited knowledge on most scripting.

I had some free time last night during my SoR break, and loaded up RPG Maker VX. i managed to use a bit of a script a friend made a long time ago. Was in a dungeon, ran into a skeleton, and small map popped up. a 9x9 grid of the area where i got into battle(that was pretty zoomed in, so you can actually see the sprites and stuff). The skeleton spawned 2 skeletons right next to each other(to simulate that in random battles, 1 enemy might actually contain more). but you could move around and fight the skeletons that were on the dungeon map, but you hadn't initiated yet.

Ill take a screenshot soon.

The problem being, is that its 2d. Not that 2D is bad(as in my post in other topics) but its alot easier to work with, and alot faster, and runs better on older CPUs. it even is alot easier to create. a 3D model takes a full day at least, then the texture a good day or two if you do it on the compy without a tablet.

A small 2D sprite... i pumped out 3 in about 2 hours. and i was perfectly happy with them.

Archael

May 02, 2009, 10:52:47 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Havermayer"
Quote from: "KazeKasano"Art direction should follow in the footsteps of FF III DS, in my opinion. Yoshida did that one as well, and it looks phenomenal.

Well, you could do chibi style.  

I was thinking more serious FFT/Vagrant story art direction.  The only thing that I don't like about FFT's characters were the unrealistic body proportions.  

So, imagine VS done with modern graphics.  Realistic medieval inspired architecture.  Different areas would be inspired by different periods/areas.

Here's some examples of architecture that I'd love to see.  These are from Saint-Émilion, which is the french town that partially inspired the look of VS:

More general:

some great suggestions there

Cheetah

May 02, 2009, 11:15:23 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Wow you can definitely tell that they drew a lot of inspiration from that locale.
Current Projects:

Smitson

May 05, 2009, 12:15:20 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
It turns out Ramza fucked the flower girl(Aeris). She has the boy, he's hellbent on killing Delita(who's about 40 now).

LastingDawn

May 08, 2009, 01:52:42 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I'd think a sequel to FFT, couldn't be anything after FFT, to be honest. Alazlam tells us from the offset that while Delita reigned the world entered into a peaceful Golden Age. A Golden Age normally lasts a generation or two, not five years, or however long the ending is. That really cuts out a lot of opportunity for internal conflict in those matters. A story I'd like to see is based around Ajora and her 12 disciples. The Ivalice Alliance has been skirting around getting to all of that, but they never do or have. Ajora/Altima's story is a very large part of Ivalice's history, considering her death causes the Great Cataclysm which kills (or at least scatters...) all other races. Though it might be a bit too abstract to work into fully... not like FFTA was hinted at... in any case, working off FFT's story....

I suppose it could be a story in the future of Ivalice, not really sure where or what could be the plot... a dark Vagrant Story plot could be very difficult though. Well... there's always Ramza's escape from Murond, I guess... if you believe he survived somehow.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Smitson

May 08, 2009, 11:26:03 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "LastingDawn"I'd think a sequel to FFT, couldn't be anything after FFT, to be honest. Alazlam tells us from the offset that while Delita reigned the world entered into a peaceful Golden Age. A Golden Age normally lasts a generation or two, not five years, or however long the ending is. That really cuts out a lot of opportunity for internal conflict in those matters. A story I'd like to see is based around Ajora and her 12 disciples. The Ivalice Alliance has been skirting around getting to all of that, but they never do or have. Ajora/Altima's story is a very large part of Ivalice's history, considering her death causes the Great Cataclysm which kills (or at least scatters...) all other races. Though it might be a bit too abstract to work into fully... not like FFTA was hinted at... in any case, working off FFT's story....

I suppose it could be a story in the future of Ivalice, not really sure where or what could be the plot... a dark Vagrant Story plot could be very difficult though. Well... there's always Ramza's escape from Murond, I guess... if you believe he survived somehow.

Maybe it can be about what Ramza did(assuming he survived) and why he couldn't/didn't come back out.

Kaijyuu

May 10, 2009, 03:00:55 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I don't think a direct sequel to any of the existing Ivalice games would be a good idea. Either a whole new plot, or expand on something relatively obscure in the universe (st ajora story, for example).
  • Modding version: PSX

KazeKasano

May 10, 2009, 06:00:03 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
Perhaps a game based earlier than XII?
It would be pretty cool. Follow Balthier on some of his adventures as a judge, perhaps an encounter or two with Judge Zecht...
Reddas
Lead up to Balthier getting pissed at Cid and stealing the Strahl.

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

May 10, 2009, 08:41:59 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
I'd like to see what came between Basch and Judge Gabranth which led them to take two very different paths.

White1N

June 28, 2009, 10:27:10 am #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by White1N
more jobs and abilities

Havermayer

June 30, 2009, 07:15:34 am #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Quote from: "White1N"more jobs and abilities

Well... that's sort of a given.

SentinalBlade

June 30, 2009, 10:43:00 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I think Alazlam could discover a small book detailing ramzas survival. maybe even a small plot about ramza thwarting any of Delita's opposition? maybe ramza's life in a neighboring country. ivalice wasnt the only country back then. its even connected to others on the world map(im pretty sure anyways, its been a long time since ive looked at all the detail on it)

Although, i think a more interesting plot would be something about Alazlam currently.

The book had been hidden for centuries, correct? With the church still in total power it seems like they would try to stop Alazlam from releasing Oran's findings. Maybe he would escape their wrath, only ot discover something Vormav's descendant seeks to bring forth what his ancestor could not(well, i guess vormav did, but it didnt really last a good while). Maybe Alazlam could jstu run around, trying ot get the churchs misdeeds to the public?

The church is still corrupt, according to the psp version script(and i think hinted at in psx) A good sequel might be about the downfall of the church, and its complete destruction and social panic that followed.

A prequel about Ajora would be nice. But if ivalice alliance really does plan to mess with that idea, i think its best if we leave that be for now. we dont want to have any inconsistencies with theirs or any plot holes or things. Or have either one a less enjoyable experience if they release theirs.