• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:16:40 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA2: Promise Rewritten (Rebalance and Difficult hack)

Started by Kuro, August 21, 2018, 07:42:49 am

Kuro

I agree, the AI is awful. I wish they really used their skills effectively, that's why I was trying to learn ASM hacking before to get into change enemy formations in order to make my ambitious project better. Unfortunately I don't have that knowledge and I tried with hex editing. As you can see above I figured out some stuff and I tested in one battle solely, that should be included in the mod. Yellow wings mission is slightly tweaked in AI so that the mage don't get close to hit with their staff .-. -maybe I did more but I don't remember, it should be posted around maybe-. It remains far from your units to hit you with spells unless depleted then waits I believe. I could do similar changes to more battles but it feels so limited without actual ASM hack that it would be really annoying to try out every battle over and over just to get a slight improvement.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

dudeofthewesternfront

Hi, thanks so much for sharing! Unfortunately, I think the notes you're talking about is Lennart's notes right? Those links are all dead and I can't download any of them. Someone on this forum linked the general data notes but didn't upload the enemy data. Would it be too much to ask for a copy of the enemy data?

Kuro

There you have it. However, the abilities aren't correctly listed I noticed this when I found a lot missing from the units that were supposed to have them when I used the ability editor.

Shokudaikiri Mitsutada

Hey man this mod is the continuation of Rfh right? Can you please clarify a doubt?
He put this in the notes:

- The patch is designed to play on hard mode.

What does that mean? Does this mean that no matter what difficulty the player chooses it will always be in Hard mode? 
I finally managed to beat Crushatrice (3 game over dude. Haha).
I'm really enjoying this mod. Thank you for that!
Later I will play more serious and see how the difficulty is. Now I need a little rest. ^^
  • Discord username: Shokudaikiri Mitsutada

Maistronom

Hi, I'm having problems applying the patch to the game and I wonder if I can receive some help. After I click "Apply Patch" it says "An error has occurred: xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Kuro

Hey, to @Shokudaikiri Mitsutada yes, this a 'continuation' at least it was intended to be so as I was starting to mod FFTA2 and used his own as a base to learn and probably we have a similar feeling about how we wanted to play the game but with the time I changed so many things that it doesn't feel exactly as a continuation, and more like a reinterpretation of his work.

Crushatrice, now makes honor to its name? xD

The patch was designed to be played in hard I believe because the balance of enemies vs player, stats and such was giving a fair challenge in hard mode but not in normal one, however,  I've been told that people enjoyed in normal since I think mine might be even harder, not sure about it, with the last changes I didn't start a play-through.

To @Maistronom I think that error might mean you have used the wrong rom version to patch, it should be the (Usa) one. If it isn't that it might be the file ending with the wrong extension, it should be .xdelta

Maistronom

Quote from: Kuro on May 12, 2020, 11:58:54 amHey, to @Shokudaikiri Mitsutada yes, this a 'continuation' at least it was intended to be so as I was starting to mod FFTA2 and used his own as a base to learn and probably we have a similar feeling about how we wanted to play the game but with the time I changed so many things that it doesn't feel exactly as a continuation, and more like a reinterpretation of his work.

Crushatrice, now makes honor to its name? xD

The patch was designed to be played in hard I believe because the balance of enemies vs player, stats and such was giving a fair challenge in hard mode but not in normal one, however,  I've been told that people enjoyed in normal since I think mine might be even harder, not sure about it, with the last changes I didn't start a play-through.

To @Maistronom I think that error might mean you have used the wrong rom version to patch, it should be the (Usa) one. If it isn't that it might be the file ending with the wrong extension, it should be .xdelta

I fixed it thanks to your tip, I'm gonna try it out now, many thanks!!

FFHackticsnoob

Quote from: Kuro on May 19, 2019, 05:21:25 am^ I hope you managed to pass over that brick wall. If that's not the case let me know again to revise that that battle.

That said, I think I am back after a long break and well I wanted to say something about my ideas right now:

Last patch I released (0.9.6.1) adds elemental weakness and resistances for playable races as well as changes in those on 'monsters'. For the next patch (0.9.7)I will not be doing changes in enemy formation since the other stuff is taking me a lot of time.

1. Item command for every job available.

2. Equipment gil cost calculated in base to its new stats. Example Jambiya cost -Most expensive dagger in my mod- is now 25200 instead of 10800 while Dagger-Cheapest- is now 600 instead of 80.

3. Mid and late game gil rewards lowered.

4. MP revamp, skill rebalance and some changes including new skills.

All these changes are obviously a reason to a start a new game so I will let patch 0.9.6 available for everyone and I'll suggest you prepared for a new game after 0.9.7.
Well, this is a year old, but I did eventually beat it haha.

Gilmunto was easily the hardest fight I had, though I never did finish the mod. Some time after getting to the second continent I quit, think I got tired of dealing with undeads and never got around to finishing.

Thinking about giving the mod another whirl though, I wanna finish it.

Kuro

Good job on beating it, sorry for the delay. Yeah, the main issue of the mod is that I barely changed enemy formations so some might be harder than what should be expected and no idea how the mod works on the end game but I got a question for you.

Does Gil become a resource to manage with care toward the second continent or like in the original you get so much that you can spend shamelessly? I hope my changes fixed this but no idea.

Cygnus_Harvey

I'm only in the Pearls mission, but the money is actually well done. I've been "cheating", recruiting some people (especially for the knuckles, instruments and bows) to sell their stuff, and I'm always very low on money.
I'm loving the hack, the class changes are great and the difficulty sometimes it's a little too much for my taste, but doable. Like the original tactics, the worst missions are the first two/three you do. I love too that you change the auctions into material, which make sense (I'm usually half set before going to the second continent...), though I find the CP very, very low even doing every mission before doing the next main one.

I have a couple of questions though. One is that some spells/attacks (I've noticed aqua, I think) do double damage. I thought it was something about the enemie, because I first saw it with Rouge from the Coleurs, but now I've got Aqua on my black mage and he did double damage with it. Is it intended this way, or it's a bug? I've also noticed that my normal attacks consume MP. In the Camoa tournment, I tried attacking to keep the law, but I broke it with a normal attack. Did it a couple of times to be sure.

Also, do you have a list of the blue magics you can get, and from what? I've learned a couple of new ones, and tried some of the old ones to see that they're no longer blue magic.

Thanks for the help, and for the hack too!

peen

I love this patch very much. Could you please complete spreadsheet for me. I want to start your game again but I need plan my team first

DarkWarrior1000

November 26, 2020, 03:43:06 pm #191 Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:45:53 pm by DarkWarrior1000
I've been playing this mod for a little bit. Got to the aerodrome mission on normal mode and am currently stuck on gilmunto on hard. A number of things:

the changes made don't account for laws at all. "don't use mp" is impossible since even normal attacks use mp, "no fire" in the gilmunto fight is unreasonable since 3/5 enemies absorb thunder and blizzard as an ability was thoroughly butchered, etc.

Beyond that, there are a number of abilities that don't work properly, are otherwise glitched, are simply too high cost for what they do, or have some other sort of issue. Moogle focus doesn't work properly at all. I think it's because the game detects that an attack has occurred and attempts to remove the focus buff immediately after the animation plays out. None of the fusilier abilities work for whatever reason. If there's some sort of priming ability for them it should be on a very early weapon, because I unlocked 3 early guns and none had an ability that seemed to be a priming ability. wyrmtamer makes things it affects invisible and I don't mean it gives them the invisibility buff; it makes them invisible on the screen but I can hit them just fine.

Banish costs too much for what it does. 150+ mp when burial and exorcise are both 50 mp is ridiculous. 98 mp for malboro song is unreasonable when that's the same cost as chocobo song which not only heals in an area but also applies defense up. chocobo song isn't even that practical since it has no vertical range. Shining air costs way too much for what it does. 110+ mp for a weak atk just so you get a guaranteed hit? blitz and body slam are both sub 50 and do the same thing. Many abilities have these sorts of issues.

A number of abilities on weapons appear strange or otherwise out of place. dagriohm has monkey grip listed twice. fire spear has attacks up listed for fencers but fencers can't equip spears. "yellow mage" and "yellow knight" are also used interchangeably when checking what classes can equip a piece of gear.

Ability progression for some classes also feels very stunted. elementalists basically get stuck with 3 abilities and I don't think I'll get any more until I get to flourgis despite the fact I got haste and even holy on my red mage. If I'm not misremembering, in vanilla A2 elementalists had 5 abilities to play around with fairly early in the game: boulder crush, earth heal, white flame, fire whip, and shining air. In this mod despite being at a similar point of progression I only have 3 of those 5 abilities and all 3 are severely nerfed versions. That's to say nothing of elementalists having weirdly low magic growth if your sheet is anything to go by. I end up going back to red mage just so my magic growth isn't gimped on level up.

In terms of monster abilities the mod is utterly broken. Monsters can basically use all of their abilities without any restrictions whereas many had to wait multiple turns to do so in vanilla. sprites can cast meteorite every single turn with 0 drawbacks, for example. they couldn't do this in vanilla. lamias being able to spam night every turn is also a bad time and it's not as if you can counteract this either since so many lamia and lilith encounters are in the very early game.

Speaking of monsters, ghosts and deathscythes are unreasonable. them having 40 and 45 base evade respectively is insane. that's to say nothing of deathscythes being able to spam darkra every turn due to the mp changes. At least in vanilla, they could only do it once every other turn roughly speaking. none of the summoning abilities have been balanced either. ghosts can still infinitely spam wake the dead and wolves can still infinitely spam summon pack.

All in all, the mod is nice and all, but it needs a lot of rebalancing and polish.

Toang

Hi,I really like your mod and you worked hard to make it.
I just started modding and trying all the tools in Current List of FFTA2 Editors and Modules,but it seems very limited.
So can you show me how to use and access hex to mod it.Tks u.

Kuro

I realized after someone contacted me from here that I had been evading this site thinking that one day I would get back to finish my mod but that isn't the case and I've been lying to myself. I feel like I lost the motivation to work on it and the excitement about learning new things from the game to try on. So, I hope everyone understands.

Anyone is allowed to use the mod as a base of their own project.