• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:31:11 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Utter Newbie question

Started by seru, June 27, 2010, 10:36:22 pm

seru

I'm a major fan of Final Fantasy Tactics, and have always been looking for a way to do something more with it.

War of the Lions was awesome, but not enough.

Then about three days ago I stumbled onto this site, but am utterly lost. How exactly do I patch? And more importantly, can I do it with an emulator, or does it require some obscure method of Memory Card abuse?

Nashidaran

Not with the emulator or memory card, no--it's mostly to do with the ISO. Memory cards and save-states rarely enter the picture unless you get into ASM hacking.

First and foremost, BACKUP YOUR GAME DISC. This is important, see? It requires extreme emphasis. Always always always keep a clean copy of your game on hand. Although you can probably find a copy on the net, I strongly suggest making your own clean copy, as it is the only way to be sure that you are not using a modified ISO.

Onwards. Depends on what you want to patch. For starters, take a look through the miscellaneous downloads section of the site. Key downloads to note are:
FFTPatcher (Edit a shwackload of stuff -- needs .Net frameworks 2.0 and 3.5)
Shishi Sprite Editor (edit battle sprites)
FFTactext (edit game text)
FFTorgASM (apply pre-made ASM code hacks)
(These come in one package; peruse the boards for info on basic usage)

CDMage or CDProg
- Enables importing and exporting of game files from the ISO on your computer

PPF-O-MATIC
- For applying .ppf patches to your ISO

FFTEVGRP (translated by melonhead)
- For inserting/extracting new palettes or graphics for the character sprites/portraits which appear in the formation screen. Use CDMage or CDProg to import and export the needed files to/from your ISO. Use your image editor to muck around with the graphics.

PSX    Reassigned Spritesheets (PPF) [Extended]  
- Apparently does neat stuff with how the game handles sprites--look around for info

PSX    Extend ISO (PPF)
- Extends the size/capacity of your ISO without breaking it. Needed for some tasks/patches.

----------------
Other Tools not in the download section:
Hex Editor -- XVI32, WindHex, WinHex
- WinHex works best, but costs money
- These are mostly for People Who Know What They Are Doing
- Use for searching hex code of files and making instant changes.

Image Editor:
GraphicsGale - (free) designed for editing sprite graphics
GIMP - (free) Photoshop alternative
MSPaint - (free) If you're desperate
Photoshop - great tool, but not designed for sprites and heavy palette usage/editing
Paint Shop Pro (v7/v9 - the Jasc versions) If you can get your hands on one of these, it's a fantastic little program; not as powerful as Photoshop, but much better for spriting. Avoid the new ones made by Corel.

-----
There are many other tools and editors for various purposes, but that should get you started. Also, http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3. Forum. Tools Section. Crystal?