• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:32:05 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Sprite help!

Started by Smash, June 10, 2010, 05:48:50 pm

Smash

Graphics gale help.

Why cant I paste? Every time I do so the image appears, but when I drop it, it vanishes to some mysterious layer under the current one in who knows where.
Why can there be transparency in some files and not in others? And how do I change the eye burning white bg color?

Thanks in advance.

If I could kill but one thing about this program, it'd be those fucking layers.
All hail paint.

R999

Can't help you with Graphics Gale, but I could certainly assist you with Photoshop.

Transparency

Do you mean Alpha-Transparency or the traditional GIF transparency (single transparent color bit)?  There are several types of PNG formats, the most common are that of PNG8(256 colors), PNG24(24 bits RGB color) and PNG32(usually 24bit RGB + 8 bit alpha). You can't do PNG8 in photoshop but it's doable with Fireworks. PNG8 can only do binary transparency, while PNG24 usually does not have transparency. You can also do grey scale + alpha transparency (although I am not sure how to do that). You are probably interested in PNG32.

If you are doing transparency for the web, do beware that Internet Explorer (5-6, 24% of population is still on IE6) does not support PNG transparency without Javascript workaround.

If you can be a little bit more specific it would help.

Smash

It's more an issue of how GG's interface manages layers and transparency on PNGs.

R999

Oh I see. Then have you tried saving the file as PNG32? (which includes 8 bit alpha transparency, meaning, 256 colors of transparency).  

No idea how layering works in Graphics Gale... Only person that might know is DeadManWalking here, who seemed to have vanished lately.

PS: You should really try to learn how to use Photoshop and take your artwork to the next level (and learn how to speed up your process using it). Especially if you are interested into a graphics career. You seem to have the talent :)

Smash

Nvm. Figured it out already. Found the correct properties menu. (There were like 7)

Quote from: "R999"PS: You should really try to learn how to use Photoshop and take your artwork to the next level (and learn how to speed up your process using it). Especially if you are interested into a graphics career. You seem to have the talent :)

Talent, sure.. I call it experience. And yeah, Photoshop is a must, but only after I try oil on canvas.

This is just a hobby, making it a career would ruin the fun. Add the fact that they don't pay a turd's worth where I am.

jimmyjw88

Seems that either Photoshop or Graphic Gale. I'm the one left with GIMP, now that I can't use MS Paint in 7. Lol.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.