• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Need help with FFTactext and 1.3 easytype:complete

Started by Amici, April 24, 2010, 01:32:44 pm

Amici

I'm having a problem with trying to edit text with my patched ISO. So basically, here's what I did:

1. Get my clean ISO (BIN/CUE format)
2. Download this patch: FFT:1.3Completeeasytype from this forum
3. Open the ISO using the 457 FFTactext.
4. Edit job names, skillset names, and their corresponding descriptions in Quicktext mode. (I wanted to rename Ch4 Ramza to Knight Gallant, or Heretic if the former is too long).

Basically, the problem is I always get an error, something to do with DTE and WLDHELP.LZW. It patches smoothly for the first files, then seemingly hangs on WLDHELP.LZW, before failing with "DTE for WLDHELP.LZW failed. The ISO has not been modified."

It's been a very frustrating past few hours for me and I can't get it to work. Is there a solution to this or I'm screwed? I've done extensive searching in the forums and can't seem to find a solution...I found in one of the threads here (I forgot where) that editing for text seems to work for an 'unreleased' version of TacText. Where do you suppose I can get that? Or maybe is there a way to patch 1.3easytype first, then patch a Tactext (.ffttext) file in?

Any help would be appreciated =) Thanks!  :lol:

My master plan is actually to play 1.3easy type with FFT:C, then edit Ramza's Ch4 job so he'll have additional skills, possible Zalbag's skills, so he'll be a bit more comparable to the later characters (would also be using a custom sprite).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

VampragonLord

you patched multiple times.... >.<
save the new text edit as its own seperate thing, then open that up then apply it to the iso....
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

philsov

easytype complete was made with a version of tactext not readily available.  To this end, personal text edits with the patch aren't possible.

But it should be compatible with shishi and fftpatcher if you want to do those sorts of tweaks.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Amici

Quote from: "philsov"easytype complete was made with a version of tactext not readily available.  To this end, personal text edits with the patch aren't possible.

But it should be compatible with shishi and fftpatcher if you want to do those sorts of tweaks.

Any idea where I can get that version of tactext? Or is it some exclusive insider thing?

VampragonLord

Amici

@Vamp
I'm cool enough! ;) Question though, why isn't that released yet if it fixes a critical bug like that?

VampragonLord

Amici

I did a bit of googling, is this it? http://code.google.com/p/lioneditor/source/list

How do I go about compiling the source code? Which files to download, and which software do I need?

Mari

As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

Amici

Ayt. Damn. Been searching for hours both here on the forums or googling. Is there any other way this can be done? Like maybe edit the PPF itself?

philsov

Quote from: "Amici"Question though, why isn't that released yet if it fixes a critical bug like that?

afaik it's still in beta and was used experimentally for FFT:C, which in turn got used in the combination patch.  It's not really a bug that needs to be addressed, as the newer version will fix it by definition -- the problem is compatibility with the older, current version.

QuoteIs there any other way this can be done?

Aside from the obvious choices of not messing with text edits or just doing edits on normal easytype, not currently =\

editing the ppf itself... would require some advanced skills.

VampragonLord

its like demanding to know why your ps1 wont run ps2 games.

Amici

@philsov
Thanks for the replies. Darn, I suppose it's impossible at this point with the current tools...Is there really no available version out there that can edit it? Like an older version, or some Japanese untranslated version somewhere? I really thought I could customize text freely by this point...

@VampragonLord
That's an unfair analogy don't you think? What I'm trying to do is reasonable and not some newfangled impossible hack.

VampragonLord

you really dont seem to get it....
the analogy is fairly accurate.
New software on old version, not going to work.
Youre asking why it isnt FORWARD compatable.

Amici

Ayt, I suppose that's right if you put it that way...

Well, is there a way to maybe edit each text file individually?Then just use CDmage to import the file after?

philsov

Yes, probably, but its more trouble than its worth.  For example, if you want to change Ramza "Squire" to "lulzholyswordsman" then you must do so in 6 different locations.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=700

viewtopic.php?t=2220&p=45196#p45196

Mickey B

Hey there. My friend Ian and I have been working on a really big tactics hack (PSP version) that dramatically alters the game. We've been working on it for well over a year (maybe 2?), and all that's left for us to do is change the text in the game. With the current featured version of hactexts thats impossible. Is there anyway I could get my hands on the better version of hactexts you guys were mentioning? I would be eternally grateful, and Ian would probably crap himself (we have been waiting on an update for a very very long time).

Edit: When I said hacktexts I meant tactexts. lol

Nashidaran

Bump.

Not sure if this is the version that you were talking about: http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4984

I used that one (v 0.466/0.478) with the "save as patch, then close and re-open patch" method on FFT 1.3. So far, no problems. I'll report if anything crops up, such as, you know, the ASM hacks getting overwritten in the process.