• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 12:06:16 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Question about Monster Skill

Started by oneartplease, April 23, 2010, 01:24:31 pm

oneartplease

If a monster has innate Monster Skill does it have access to its own Monster Skill? And I read somewhere before that monsters of the same.... genealogy can unlock each other's Monster Skills, granted that they are within one space of each other (or something along those lines). Is this true? Or did I dream this?

philsov

Nope; monster skill is for other units only.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Timbo

You know, what I need to do is to learn ASM hacking and increase the range of monster skill to 255, and make it innate for everybody.  I image that's a pretty steep chore.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

oneartplease

Thanks philsov. How about  the second part of my question? Because I swear, I remember playing 1.3 Easytype once and a Skeleton cast Dark Holy on another Skeleton next to him to heal him. There were no other enemy units nearby (or any units with Monster Skill even on the floor, for that matter).

And Jack, wouldn't it be easier to hack it in a way that these hidden abilities don't need Monster Skill to begin with in order to be used? Then again, I have no knowledge of ASM hacking whatsoever.

Timbo

Neither do I, but I know that there are ASM hacks that make certain skills innate, and their are ASM hacks for changing certain variables, so I don't think adjusting range would be that difficult.  However, I have a feeling that a lot of people are annoyed by the limitations of monsters and would love to see Monster Skill removed and monster skill lists expanded.  I doubt you and I are the first people to think about this, so I'm sure if people knew how to do it, it would have been done by now.  

My way seems like a crappy, yet plausible work around. I'm currently about to either start learning how to create and modify events, or start ASM hacking.  If I start ASM hacking I'll make monster skill my top priority, but don't count on it.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

philsov

QuoteMonster Skill even on the floor

Deep Dungeon?  Normal skillset rules don't apply there ;)

Otherwise, most monsters in easytype don't have innate monster skill, so I don't know how you encountered that otherwise...
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

formerdeathcorps

I've noticed that if monsters starting out with innate monster skill are not arranged such that at least one monster can use his monster skill ability at the start of the battle, monsters can subsequently never gain their secret skill, but only for the AI in all-monster battles (where some of the monsters know monster skill).

You are right; an ASM hack that lets monster skill affect the user would be nice and necessary.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

oneartplease

Quote from: "philsov"Deep Dungeon?  Normal skillset rules don't apply there ;)

Otherwise, most monsters in easytype don't have innate monster skill, so I don't know how you encountered that otherwise...

It wasn't in Deep Dungeon, I never got that far haha. I must've been imagined it or something. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.