• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:10:53 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Durbs' Sprites (Thought I'd give it a shot)

Started by Durbs, September 03, 2011, 12:17:42 pm

Durbs

September 03, 2011, 12:17:42 pm Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:19:45 pm by Durbs
Ever since I've come to this site I've been very interested in making sprites, and late last night I finally had the motivation to do so. Keep in mind that:

a) This is my first sprite.
b) I am a total beginner in portraits, so I might not attempt one.

So, here it is. The idea is that Agrias is now in more armor as opposed to her usual sprite. I made the armor completely from scratch so it's probably crap but bear with me.

Basically I used the colors from her already existing armor and elongated her boots. I know the back needs work, but I'm very fond of the front-facing slide.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Firsy thing, it's flat. I don't know what that very bright white is doing there either. You made a classic mistake, you said you did it basiclly from scratch, that's not what you want to do when you begin. Use copy/paste all the time, experiment, and eventually do some very very very(!) custom fixes. When you copy/paste, over time you will get an idea how it should look, how to shade and so on.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Durbs

Hm... alright. The white was for the idea of the armor shining in light, but I see your point. I suppose I should just scrap this then.

Kagebunji

Try something else, but this time try copy/pasting and some slight palette changes(remember to borrow existing colors from other sprites). Don't give up after a first sprite.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Durbs on September 03, 2011, 12:30:16 pm
The white was for the idea of the armor shining in light

Except everything in FFT is dark, musty fall palettes and lighting.

Durbs

September 03, 2011, 09:55:07 pm #5 Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:56:59 pm by Durbs
Yeah, that's true. I guess I should probably be looking at FFT from a few new angles if I'm going to try this. So basically you're recommending that I should just practice? Maybe make a few frankensprites or something along those lines?

GeneralStrife

That's where I started. you'd be surprised what little things can do. If you don't have any ideas, try making cloud with something different. Headswapping and port changing him would be easy.