• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:55:49 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Izirudo's Sprites

Started by Izirudo, November 16, 2010, 04:45:14 am

Izirudo

November 16, 2010, 04:45:14 am Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:52:09 am by Izirudo
I'm kinda new to spriting. Here is a sprite I've been working on. I basically took Meshx's Ramza sprite and further modified it. I originally wanted to make his shoulders and torso look more like this

And so far:

Please, can anyone tell if the sprite is good or not? Also, I've been wondering: what does "quality control" mean? And last but not least, how do everyone edit the portrait on the spritesheet? I've been browsing the forum for a while, but there are so many topics that I dunno where to look at.

Kagebunji

Actually it looks pretty good, good job on the arms. I still haven't looked up close at this though. Is this your first spriting work you ever did? All this needs is some nice new hair, I would also change the legs, since they resemble Ramza a lot. There was this portrait tutorial on main site IIRC, try looking there.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Izirudo

Thanks for the response, Kagebunji. And yes this is my first spriting work. Took me about 2 days to completely change the arms. Ramza's old arms look boring :P. So I may just focus on the body, not the hair. I'll take a look at the portrait tutorial now.

Kagebunji

You are too far now to just leave him like Ramza. We had shitload of headswaps done, and some are even on the main site. I really suggest you try and do something more with this sprite, since it has potential.

Izirudo

You have a point. Maybe I'll make it look just like the paladin in the picture. I'll attempt doing the legs as soon as I can. Seems like I won't get any rest soon XD but Hell Yeah this spriting stuff is so addicting. I've been in a trance for 2 days straight and I'm still excited to do more.

Kagebunji

I suggest you take some legs from other sprites for now, doing custom parts may be a bit too tough for you yet. Anyway, good luck with this

GeneralStrife

not bad! I'd love to see a new portrait for him too...your avatar but not messed up, not bad for your first attempt

Izirudo

I just finished editing the legs. Took me about 1/4 as long as when I did the arms. Updated work:

All advices are appreciated. I wonder if I should add some yellow to the side guards of the portrait? I'll be working on the head next, perhaps I'll just take Zack's head and put in some more standing hair.

Kagebunji

They turned out greatly IMO. I don't think you should mess with arms any more now, such small details may ruin the sprite. Hair from Zack is a bad idea, unless you change it a lot. It is a hair of a special character, he will stand out a lot. If you really want to take his hair, then make it longer like on the image you posted in first post.

Edit: Other two things, you might consider using some different cape, cause this one is used by Zalbag, and looks kida strange on other sprites(it IS Zalbag's afteral), try using Lezard's cape or something like that. And if you feel like it, try using Smash's Cavalier armor, or some other cool looking armor. Not that you have to do those two things, they are just things that would make him  look better.

Good luck.

Izirudo

I'll try changing the image on the cape - It's only Zalbag's when we do nothing to change it. As for the armor, I'll try out the Cavalier one :). Thanks for the advice Kagebunji. And how do you think about the legs? I've been testing it out with Shishi's, but as always feedback from others would be great.

GeneralStrife

looks pretty damn good...did you edit those legs/arms from scratch? The portrait is interesting but i feel like the armor at his neck is too wide unless its just the angle im looking at it from

Wolfran

November 17, 2010, 07:55:21 pm #11 Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:16:19 am by Wolfran
Well done. I think you should change the cape, try the Pieke's one. Also use other colours, maybe the colours of Vicks could help.
And the portrait just fit the neck... almost forgot WELCOME TO FFHACKTICS WHERE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

Izirudo

Thanks guys :). Glad to join the tray. @GeneralStrife I did not build them all from scratch. I kept the old arms on the spritesheet and edited them. It's easier to have something standard to base on when editing stuffs.

Kagebunji

Did you even read my post, Wolfran? Pieke won't work either, it's basicly Wiegraf/Beowulf cape. You should do something at least a bit custom, some outline, scratches etc. be creative. Keep it up, I am surprised you are doing so well for your first sprite.

Izirudo

I finished editing the torso/armor. It's a mix of the classic armor and the cavalier one.

Now the only thing left are the cape, the hair and the portrait. I don't think making the hair spiky is a good idea at all... it'd either look like Cloud's or Zack's. Seriously, it's not fun at all :D.

Izirudo

And thanks Kagebunji for your helpful advices. It feels better to know that you think I'm doing well. As you said, it is better to do something original - maybe I'll slightly change the cape also.

Kagebunji

Ok, I putted tis sprite in-game, and I found out you have one mistake here, Look at this screenie, I already putted two advices there. As for hair, try using some existing one for now, no need to be THAT vreative, just don't use a head of a character that is very popular(example: Zack etc.):

Izirudo

:(  Wow that looks kinda bad. I'll try fixing it right now. Hopefully I'll be able to to the cape tomorrow.

Izirudo

Here's the one I fixed, can you please check it out, Kagebunji?

It's kinda bad I let such thing happened, perhaps bcoz I tried to mess with the arms again >_<. I put some brown into the part you noted and re-shaded it a bit. If you can see more problems, please let me know.

Kagebunji

Jusy checked it. You didn;t get what I meant. You just added few brown pixels to the one pose I pointed out, but I meant every pose. You see the space below armor and above legs? The gray chainmail-like thing? I suggest you change it to brown color altogehter. If you still dunno what part I mean, tell me, and I will edit it and show you.