• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:01:04 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Delita patch possibility (Comments?)

Started by Durbs, March 08, 2011, 10:02:21 pm

Durbs

Ok, I'd like to gauge some interest in an idea I had for a primarily storyline patch. The concept is very simple, but I imagine its execution will be a rather dauting task. The idea is to make a storyline not following Ramza, but rather Delita instead. The story itself would not change at all; only the point of view would. The concept is that you can look closer into Delita's character, as well as those around him. Olan would become a prominent character, as well as Balmafula and some other characters such as Orlandu will appear as guests. I also will make some new classes and abilities battle-wise.

Any comments or obvious potential problems? One immediate thing is that I'd like to keep many if not all of the original cutscenes involving Delita and Ramza, but because he's the main character Delita's and Ramza's positions will be reversed if I change their sprites. All throught the game, this means that I will have to think of a way to keep Ramza out of Delita-only cutscenes and keep their texts from reversing early on. Any easy ways out?

Also, can someone point me in the right direction for using the event (de)compiler and attack.out editors? I'm new at this and I still need a decent bit of help, but I'd like to try my hand.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

I believe this patch is called "King of Ivalice" and has been worked on by Zodiac for several years now.
Current Projects:

Durbs

March 08, 2011, 10:09:17 pm #2 Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:10:58 pm by Durbs
Oh really? Heh... I had no idea. Sorry... I'll take it down.

Cheetah

Not your fault, it has never been discussed publicly. It is a good idea as a whole, which it has already been done. Well sort of.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

Ah yes I forgot, there is really hardly any real information in those posts though. Zodiac completed almost all the work privately.
Current Projects:

Darkholme

That sounds really cool. I always liked Delita better than ramza anyways.

Did he get it close-ish to completion? Release a demo?

Is it dead in the water?

Does it seriously break canon (contradicting ramza's plotline in FFT)?

Samuraiblackbelt

pretty sure Zodiac gave up King of Ivalce
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Darkholme

Well that's disappointing. How far did he get? Was he far enough that a team of 4 or 5 people from here could finish it up?
Did he get through like, all of chapter 2 at least?

The Damned

Zodiac is Xifanie (now) and a she, as I understand it. So just PM Xifanie if you want to know, though I'm not promising that she'll reply or tell you since, as mentioned above, it was pretty much an entirely private effort; I hadn't even heard of it until Cheetah mentioned it in this thread and I've been around for two, almost three years (off and on).

As for the patch, I can't say that idea excites me. I mean, the idea itself is good. It's merely that it doesn't seem like it lends itself to trying to take advantage of/interact with the battle system very much past Chapter 1. I mean, post-Chapter 1 Delita, despite being battle capable as seen with Zirekile and Zalmo II, is primarily a manipulator, which is part of what makes him so damn awesome and/or horrible. I suppose you could go the route that Lasting Dawn intended to go with Mercenaries in a way (without necessarily having to go into "what if" territory) and show how Delita got so strong so quickly. However, I personally feels like it runs risk of ruining the ambiguous mystique of "the man behind the curtain", especially if done poorly.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Xifanie

If the ISO is not corrupted on my external hard drive, I'll try making a ppf of what I have done. Hacks were completed for full ch1 functionality, except there are a few bugs (two that I know of) including soldier office squires with 0 faith.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

dinosaur

March 24, 2011, 04:03:34 am #12 Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:04:05 am by dinosaur
Quote from: Xifanie on March 24, 2011, 03:04:20 am
Tell me if that works

5 seconds in ... amazingly awesome... I am stunned.

Xif, did you make the opening artwork. It is just beautiful.

Xifanie

Title screen? No. But I got permission from the author (GlassShard).

Durbs

March 28, 2011, 07:45:53 pm #14 Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:19:43 pm by Durbs
Very cool Xifanie. The game is actually very well executed. I particuarily like how your only allies are all guests in storyline battles, but controllable in random battles (reflecting the fact that the generics go with Ramza after the two part ways). I'm not very far in yet (only to about Dorter), but I really hope you'll consider working on this further. In fact, although my knowledge about modding is limited, I'd like to offer some assistance (probably mostly in the form of research / concepts of Delita's plot Ch(s)2-4 and some of the simpler event editing) if you end up doing this.

Xifanie

Don't expect that to happen... I'm starting my new life and have no idea what's ahead. I would love to finish that hack, seeing as probably no one else ever will, but I don't really like hacking or have the motivation to do so anymore.
I posted the patch, and anyone can take over my work.

Durbs

Xif- Semi-unrelated, but how did you get guests to be controllable in wild battles but not in storyline battles? I've been poking around, but I have no idea how you did it.

Xifanie

Sorry, I know I made the hack, but I don't recall making it, (There is no doubt I did though) so I don't remember how.

All the info is in there I think
http://zodiac.ffhacktics.com/Delita%20Notes.txt

Kokojo

I use the same hack, but I can't get it to work again...
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Pierce

I don't know if anyone is considering taking this patch on as a project (so far it seems unlikely) but if it starts up again, I'm happy to help contribute with testing or balance and stuff. I followed along with the patch about a year ago when it was being created, but lacked the motivation to help with projects and instead preferred to just play them, but now I've created an FFH account with the intent of giving back to the community.

To sum up: if this patch gets started up again, my limited knowledge is at your service.
Ignorance itself is a crime! - Miluda