• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

What OS do you use? And Why?

Started by VincentCraven, June 19, 2009, 01:04:19 pm

Corwin

June 30, 2009, 01:50:13 pm #40 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Corwin
I'm currently running Windows 7 (on a mac, though it doesn't belong to me). I wanted to try out the new flavor of windows, which I do use as a primary operating system.. pretty much for the software developed for it.. both commercial and non. Mac OS X might be the superior operating system, but the programs I believe to be superior just don't run natively on it.

If we're going to count the GUI as part of the operating system, I prefer Explorer over.. uh.. whatever Mac OS X is packaged with. I just.. don't like docks or minimized windows being shoved off into their own little corner.

As Macs get more and more marketshare, they will start getting better programs (access to the linux side of things also helps a great deal).. though Blizzard wasn't the best example of a developer, they've actually been really good about releasing for both Windows and Mac for a long time now.

Edit: Though I do wonder if the whole 'we can run Windows programs too' thing is going to hurt that and give a 'just boot your windows partition' mentality.

stiffanbond

I use Linux Ubuntu because its much faster and more reliable than windows, and not many people make viruses for linux. The Gnome desktop is great, a lot like osx, but you can completely change everything about the OS or any program to make it your own.

R999

June 26, 2010, 02:25:48 am #42 Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:19:58 am by R999
OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and [s:3pcu7cn9]Touch OS X[/s:3pcu7cn9] iOS 4 (iPhone). I keep Windows running in its little virtual sandbox (and, I can't wait to get rid of it forever someday). Once you have switched, you can't go back. I am far more productive on a Mac with not just the OS features, but some of the most amazing apps that I couldn't live without (Coda, CSSEdit, Transmit, Transmission, so many...). I also have several windows boxes at home, mostly collecting dust.

I have used a variety of Linux builds before... I honestly rather use Windows 7. For work and everything that I do, Mac OS X is all I use. Most of my friends have been switching over.

Exposé > you.

BloodyBlade

A stripped down Windows XP SP3. Pretty decent since Its full of PC games mostly.

Dominic NY18

Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7 Pro (on the Boot Camp partition) on a MacBook. I can't go without either one, which is why I prefer Apple's notebooks now.