• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:54:48 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Mercenaries: Adrenaline. The replacement of Brave Reactions!

Started by LastingDawn, August 10, 2010, 02:40:05 am

LastingDawn

A member of ours by the name of formerdeathcorps made quite a few impressive ASM hacks, among them was the ability to change Reactions to Anything on the Formula Hacking page. I decided that this should be put to Great use, and now Reactions are now set to something else.

That something else is Wall's CT. In the coming days I will remove Wall's "benefits". And give it 80 CT (or however much is needed to balance about 10 turns worth through each patch). Wall will be then be called Adrenaline.

What Adrenaline will do is at the Very start of battle, there will be an 80% Chance of your reaction going off. As the battle wears on (to represent fatigue) your reactions chances begin to drop steadily, before "Adrenaline" is gone completely. This also applies to your enemies though, so it is just another layer of strategy to keep in mind.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Dome

So...
At the beginning of the battle, every reaction will have 80% of triggering
After some time, nothing will activate?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

LastingDawn

Indeed, to represent Fatigue of battle, based upon CT, so 80 would fall to 79, and 79 would fall to 78 with the passing of another CT and so on and so forth. It would take some time before the Reactions become completely expired.

Art of War

mav

Whoa, this is a pretty innovative idea. I like it a lot. Has it been tested out at all or are you just looking for our feedback at this point?

LastingDawn

It's been tested with Another status (Haste, and it seemed to work fine) the only hurdle is to remove all of the oddities revolving around Wall, if that doesn't work... well I have another idea, if it can be managed. (Which is to turn Regen into Mist that restores MP rather than HP for a time before it too wanes and have that linked to reactions, but for now I want to try and dismantle Wall)

Art of War

Smitson

What does this to with bravery then? Does the reaction have an 80 % chance of activating even if your bravery is 60? Or does it go down to 70?

LastingDawn

Bravery is now Fury, a hack made by Zodiac. Where it is more akin to a Faith like system. The more Fury you have, the more powerful you are But the more damage you take in return. The less Fury you have the less damage you do But the less damage you take.

What this system does is tie Brave Reaction to Wall's CT. With a CT of 80 it decreases as the match goes on, to where it eventually reaches 0 altogether, hence the new name of Adrenaline.

Art of War

philsov

wouldn't it be easier to try and dismantle Cursed status?  it does nothing but recolor the unit.  Might be easier strings to snip?

And, while I do like reaction% moving away from Brave/Fury, I don't really care much for the motiff because there is no grand CT counter anywhere.  The kicker is that most other candidates suffer from scaling issues... Current HP, for example, would be fitting in that the more damaged you are the less likely you are to react, but even then at level 1 the odds are abysmal.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Skip Sandwich

Why not tie it into CT directly? The closer you are to acting, the more likely you will be to react if targeted, where as if someone manages to catch you very soon after you just took an action, you won't be prepared, and are less likely to counter.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Lijj

This is a very interesting idea. We all know what adrenaline feels like few know what bravery does. Hmm tied to CT's not a bad idea either
  • Modding version: PSX

LastingDawn

CT can be done, and it was a possibility. I don't like the idea though, mainly because CT easily fills to 100CT and the AI has no way to arrange for such (not that it had a good idea on how to deal with Bravery...) I think that tying it to a status CT makes a bit more sense. It's much more arbitrary and adds another level of strategy. CT you know exactly what it is at. While with Adrenaline you can only pray that your reactions has whittled down to nothing.

Curse, hmm... if we could get rid of that palette change, I would definitely consider that in its stead.

Art of War

Skip Sandwich

I wonder if you could tie reactions to the attacker's Brave instead of the defender's. It makes sense on a conceptual level, with high brave you take more risks, so you are more likely to trigger a counterattack, with low brave you are more cautious, so you are less likely to trigger a counter.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

LastingDawn

Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"I wonder if you could tie reactions to the attacker's Brave instead of the defender's. It makes sense on a conceptual level, with high brave you take more risks, so you are more likely to trigger a counterattack, with low brave you are more cautious, so you are less likely to trigger a counter.

Not to my knowledge. I'm willing to bet it would be an easy "reversal of target" once all of that was figured out. All in all though, I'm still not fond of that idea. There would be no reason to keep high Fury than. Everyone would run with High Faith, low Fury. Since better to take a bit more magic damage, than holding High Fury with foes with actual reactions.

I think the Wall CT (Or Curse CT) idea represents it a bit better, there's no way to get it back once it begins to drop. In my opinion it shows a better term for "exhaustion".

Art of War

philsov

ok, do you just want reaction rate to not be tied to Fury, or also to the fatigue thing too?

Because FFM just made an awesome ASM that establishes reaction rate as a flat number -- not tied to anything.  Which is quite awesome imo.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

MiKeMiTchi

Adrenaline sounds pretty cool. I hope we could add new ASM hacks soon!
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

LastingDawn

Quote from: "philsov"ok, do you just want reaction rate to not be tied to Fury, or also to the fatigue thing too?

Because FFM just made an awesome ASM that establishes reaction rate as a flat number -- not tied to anything.  Which is quite awesome imo.

Well that method is what FFTA/2 uses, which has its uses, but I don't think it illustrates what I was looking for, all in all. I think the Adrenaline works well enough.

Art of War