• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:03:21 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How to use additional/expanded "Item" Skillsets as the base sets for Specials?

Started by Ansehelm, February 11, 2021, 03:10:47 pm

Ansehelm

Heyo humans,
I'm making a character in my mod that's basically an Über Chemist and uses the extra (A1) Item skillset with more item availability than the standard chemist.  I can't seem to get the skillset to function at all - the character can learn skills, but in battle it always says "no abilities can be used" under the base job.  I've looked into this a bit and all I've found are posts talking about changing the "action menus," under which the A1 Item slot already has "Item Inventory" set. If I change the type of action menu, the items show up in battle, but are all colored in red, and I can't use the items, supposedly for lack of mana...
I'm aware that some Asms alter how skillsets are used, but all I've seen in those posts to be in the context of Jump, Geomancy, etc, and haven't seen them with reference to items. 
So how can I make additional item skillsets work for the player?
  • Modding version: PSX

Jumza

You need an extra ASM hack to make those skillsets (the ones that reference Items I believe, so Draw Out, Throw and Item) function properly outside of the 3 generic skillsets that have them normally (enemies can use them fine but not human players).

Take a look at the latest FFTPatcher (v0.493 Beta v6), in FFTOrgASM under Glain.XML there should be a hack called Skillset Menu Hardcoding Fix that will allow this to work properly. If that doesn't work, look into the Generic Skillsets hack / fix, a few people have taken a crack at this problem.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Ansehelm